Restarting My '70 Nova Project

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #461  
Awesome, thanks for the info. You are certainly doing it right, and making progress.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #462  
I have a 1964 Chevelle Malibu SS convertible with the original 265 and 4 spd. But it will be a while before I get to work on it. So I put the outer parts in storage.

Attachments

• 20230625_112816.jpg
    20230625_112816.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
   / Restarting My '70 Nova Project
Great way to store them!
I hung a lot of my parts from nails and wire in the back of my shop, kept them out of the way, and easy to retrieve. I added quite a few more after this picture was taken.

IMG_20160412_222124846.jpg

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #464  
I’ve had a 69 charger r/t se 4 speed dana 60 for for almost 24 years. I had a 76 Camaro beater for maybe 15 years. I’ve had three modern challengers. I’m in my forever challenger now though, 2016 plum crazy purple, hellcat 6 speed manual.

Well, the temperatures have finally moderated, so I can work in the shop without freezing my fingers and feet.
I got back to work on finishing up the front wiring, headlights, turn signals and side markers. The American Auto Wire front harness has a LOT more wire than needed, I think I cut at least six feet off most of the wires. I ran the harness in the same type of loom I've been using and routed it over the inner fender, behind the left headlight, across the radiator support and back around the right headlight.
There are two wire in the harness that my car doesn't use, a 12 ga. orange wire for an electric fan, and an 18 ga. brown exciter wire for the alternator. I rolled them up and will secure them behind the headlight just in case a need for them should arise.
I use a little trick to pull wires out of the loom that I have used before, using a little pointed loom spoon. It has a pointed, tapered and curved point that I push through the braid in the loom to spread the weave apart and I can feed the wires out through it, instead of out through the split. This method keeps the wires right where you want them. Cutting all the wires to the right length, stripping, selecting the correct terminals and crimping all them is a slow fiddly process, and I check the colors and terminals repeatedly to make sure I have it right. On the left headlight, the low and high beam connectors are special ones to allow two wires on each terminal, one from the headlight switch, and one that runs over to power the right headlight. Those are a real pain to get both wires in the proper amount and crimp it without one popping out, but I managed. The side marker and parking light wires do the same thing to feed both lights from one wire and then feed it over to the right side. I think I only have one more wire to run up front, the wire to the water temp sender. It was in the harness to be run along the fender and then across to the sender on the front of the intake manifold, but I'm going to run it across the firewall to the rear of the engine and then along the valve cover to the sender. Things are pretty crowded back there, so it's going to be fun!
I was going to set the battery into the tray and hook it up so I could test all the lights, but the cable I installed that runs to the starter is about 18" too short, so I'm going to have to make up a longer one. I have the cable, terminals and crimper to do that, the big thing is getting it off the starter and removing the loom clamp that holds it to one of the engine frame mount bolts. At least the car is up in the air plenty high enough to work under it.
I pulled the turn signals out of the bumper to check them out and make sure I had the wires correct. They have a grommet on the wires where they go through the inner fender, and both of them are a hard as rocks and won't stay pressed into their holes. So, I carefully cut them off and removed the connector shell and ran the wires through some new grommets that will work much better.

Leftover wire.

IMG_20240127_215728076.jpg

Loom Spoon, handy little tool.

IMG_20240127_220322829.jpg

IMG_20240127_215821500.jpg

IMG_20240126_161940119_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240127_172920328_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240127_172952059_HDR.jpg

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #466  
Awesome. Looking forward to seeing more progress now that spring is just around the corner.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #468  
That is a really nice wire kit,much better than the ez wiring kit.

That is a really nice wire kit,much better than the ez wiring kit.
The American Auto Wire kit was very good, very complete. All the wires were plenty long and every wire was marked with it's purpose, so that made it very easy to assemble. It even came with a new headlight switch, dimmer switch, horn relay and a wide array of terminals used for each specific circuit. I only had a couple of questions and their customer service was very helpful in answering them.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #470  
Rewiring my car was probly the best thing I ever did for it.