Restarting My '70 Nova Project

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #441  
Great write-up and progress report. Really enjoy the pictures as well. When I look at your flex fan, it appears the blade mounts are not evenly spaced. I wonder why they built it that way. Even thou i know that somehow it will be perfectly balanced, my OCD keeps telling my that something isn,t correct there. LOL

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project
I'm not sure what the reason is for the odd spacing of the blades, noise reduction or something else. I know my '69 Nova with the 396 375HP engine had a seven blade fan and it made an unmistakable howl at certain RPMs. If you heard that howl come from a Nova, you knew what was under the hood.

The more I work on the Nova, the more I learn about how it and cars in gerneral of that era were made, and what their strengths and weaknesses were. Unlike today's vehicles, they were no more complicated that the needed to be.

Last edited:
Still working away at the Nova, though working in the unheated shop limits how much at a time, because I hate working with gloves on, and then my fingers get cold and numb.
I got the exhaust all on, finally. And of course, therein lies a story. I installed the system back to and including the mufflers, and wanted to put on a pair of tailpipes I had gotten a while back that ran out the rear under the bumper, instead of dumping out behind the rear wheels. Pulled the pipes out and saw that they were too long where they attached to the muffler and went up over the axle. I would have to pull the mufflers and X pipe off and shorten the pipe ahead of the mufflers about 4 inches, and then the muffler hangers that came with the system wouldn't work and I'd have to use some others. But, there was enough pipe to cut off the swedge and re-swedge the pipe, and then it would fit just like the other pipes. So, I cut the swedge off, pulled out my shiny new exhaust pipe expander and was able to expand it enough that it almost fit, put it back on and then I got a little carried away. Now the swedge is way to big to be able to get it clamped down on the muffler pipe. :mad:
I was cold and pissed off, so I decided to put the original pipes on until I decide how to fix that screwup. The left side fit fine, but the right side interfered with the fuel line and it's frame bracket. After some looking at the situation, I pulled the fuel line off, shortened it up about 6", re-bent it to come back to to meet the hose from the fuel filter. The braided hose had a 45° fitting where it connected to the fuel line, and I was able to change that to a straight fitting and it connected up just fine. Another kink ironed out.
This afternoon, I decided to put the steering wheel on, so I found the wheel and mounting parts and hopped in the car to install it. After an hour fiddling around with it, I couldn't figure out how it went together, so I gave up and did a few other things in the shop. I put the steering wheel, a Grant 969 3 spoke wheel, on before I tore the care apart to restore it, and I don't have the instruction sheet, or at least I can't find it. I tried to find the instructions online, but haven't been able to. I did see other adapter kits the gave me an idea of how it goes together, so I'll give it another go tomorrow.
I went online to two shops that make driveshafts a couple of weeks ago, and filled out their forms to request a quote for a driveshaft, but have not heard back from either one so far. I remembered there is a shop in South Bend, Kaley's Motor Service, that we used to use to make and repair truck driveshafts back in the 70s and 80s, so I gave them a call. The guy that does the driveline work there said to bring the transmission yoke over and he could have a shaft built in a couple of days, so tomorrow I'm going to go over there and give them the yoke and dimensions to have them make one up. They are cheaper that what I've seen quoted for the online shops, too.
They guy I worked for at a freight brokerage in the 80s and early 90s stopped by this afternoon. He's an old gearhead too, and I had build up a Ford Windsor engine, a 400 inch stroker if I remember correctly, back then for a 70s Ford short bed pickup he had. It turned out pretty strong and he burned up a fair amount of rubber on the back of that old Ford. He said he hadn't seen the car in a while and was there to do an inspection to make sure my work was up the his standards. ;)
After a half hour looking it over, he said it looks okay to him, but once it's running and driving, he'll need a ride in it to give it his full approval. I said I could arrange that.
Once I get the steering wheel on, I'm going to get the radiator support installed, then the fenders and inner fenders. On the inner fenders, I'm going to have to figure out how to staple the rubber mud guards to them like they were from the factory, so that will be another interesting little task. The factory used a staple gun that punched right through the metal and rubber, but I don't have a tool like that.

More later on, stay tuned!

IMG_20231209_160914532 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20231211_133132570 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20231211_133209765 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20231211_133316424_BURST000_COVER (Medium).jpg
IMG_20231211_133340579_BURST000_COVER (Medium).jpg
IMG_20231211_133403718_BURST000_COVER (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
   / Restarting My '70 Nova Project #444  
I'm surprised Kaley's could get that done for you so fast. A mechanic friend of mine said they are 9-12 months out on engines, so if they can do the drive shaft that fast, that's great!

I'm surprised Kaley's could get that done for you so fast. A mechanic friend of mine said they are 9-12 months out on engines, so if they can do the drive shaft that fast, that's great!
I dropped the trans yoke off today at Kaley's, and Susan said 2 or 3 days. I can imagine building engines would take longer, especially if there are parts on B.O. Could depend a lot on what type of engine it is and what type of parts are needed, like oversize rings or bearings.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #446  
I dropped the trans yoke off today at Kaley's, and Susan said 2 or 3 days. I can imagine building engines would take longer, especially if there are parts on B.O. Could depend a lot on what type of engine it is and what type of parts are needed, like oversize rings or bearings.
Wonderful location, eh? ;)

I'm really surprised they are still there. Glad, but surprised.

Yeah, not the greatest of locations.
Susan was telling that some years back, a storm took the roof off the old building, which was built in the 1920s, so they built a new one. When I left, I went east on Tutt street past where Ace Refrigerated Trucking used to be. I still remember them running those old gas powered, single axle R model Internationals around into the late 70s. They actually had some brand new cabs they had gotten ahold of when IHC quit building them, so they could replace ones that got rusted out of wrecked. They also had several of the Red Diamond engines, probably 450s, all rebuilt and ready to change out when needed.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #448  
Those buildings to the east between Tutt and Sample are experiencing a bunch of activity. Used to be Ziker cleaner owned. Good read here. Nice to see...

A good article about a young man with a vision.

By the way, Susan from Kaley's called around 11:00AM this morning because they had my driveshaft done. She said they were waiting on parts for a couple other jobs and were able to get mine done. I went over this afternoon and picked it up, looks great!