Runaway truck and trailer with me driving the tractor on it!

/ Runaway truck and trailer with me driving the tractor on it! #21  
I was waiting for a comment about the loading area. I would have located the truck & trailer on a level ground first then drive the tractor to it before loading. Sure, it may not be at a convenient location but I'd sure feel a **** lot better at the expense of a little distance.

Something to consider.

/ Runaway truck and trailer with me driving the tractor on it! #22  
Well since you don't seem to want to do it again I guess we just have to settle for a mental picture!

/ Runaway truck and trailer with me driving the tractor on it! #23  
My trailer has drop ramps.
View attachment 520336
They don't bend.

Adding drop legs or jacks to the rear of the trailer was what I was referring to. Not drop ramps.

I should have been more clear.

/ Runaway truck and trailer with me driving the tractor on it! #24  
Guess (know) you guys are right. The back wheels lifted not the fronts. I knew that because I was thinking how secure the ball was holding that it would pick up the truck rear end. I see lots of trucks with dented tailgates where the ball wasn't the right size or secured down and when the tractor was driven on the trailer the attachment popped off the ball and the trailer rolled forward with the tongue high and into the tailgate. Seen it happen also. My nephew was borrowing my trailer and it was hitched loose. He picked it up off the ball. His ball was 2" and my hitch is 2 5/8" he being a retired Marine said it would be OK. I told him no he wasn't destroying my 16" Gatormade trailer with spring lift ramp that's near new. I later gave him a hitch with a 2 5/8" ball to keep for his very own. If I'd let him take it it would not have made it down the drive way before popping off the ball and ramming his truck.
I may be on the lookout for some chocks or see if a concrete block will stand up and hold the rear of my trailer up while I load it. Course I have a Kubota and may never have to transport it again.:D:laughing:
You guys are pretty quick on the spotting an error in reporting and thanks for it for others who follow behind me.:D
I didn't pull my tractor forward enough when I loaded it on the trailer and knew I hadn't when I did it after seeing my truck being relocated. Gary also suggested backing the tractor on the trailer. I'll ponder the best weight distribution of the tractor over the tires when I pick it up while he holds the brake pedal down. He was the one that also reminded me of the front end coming up on my Avalanche years ago and that's what set it in my mind it was the front end and not thinking about the real situation. Blaming it on Gary!!!!:D:cool2:

Use wooden blocks. A large single block with maybe a smaller one for really uneven ground.

Don't use concrete blocks, they can't take the localized stress points. They will break just when you need them most.

FWIW we load/unload heavy to light equipment almost every day. Properly sized wooden blocks are the way to go.

If there's just no room and you have to load on an incline point the nose of the truck/trailer up the hill, not down. Have someone ready with a chain and secure the front of the equipment to the front of the trailer before you leave the operator station so the equipment won't roll off backwards. It's still a bad idea and asking for trouble.

If your not sure about tongue weight simply measure from the top of your back tire up to the bottom of the rear fender. On an average pickup with a reasonable load you want at least 2" of squat as a bare minimum. With the 2" squat you know there is at least some tongue weight.

/ Runaway truck and trailer with me driving the tractor on it! #25  
Just curious John, did you pinch a hole in the tractor seat? I know I would have. :shocked:

Joe

/ Runaway truck and trailer with me driving the tractor on it! #26  
Many ramps have a leg built in to prevent what you are dealing with...

Or like mine and others, legs on the trailer itself that can be lowered and pinned in place. I carry blocks in my trailer-mounted junk box to use under them to make sure they have substantial footing.

I've had several boat trailers but this (the one for my BX) is my first of this kind. The dealer made sure he included a couple of runaway truck/trailer horror stories when I took delivery. And I'm darned grateful. Pretty sure I wouldn't have thought of it until the exciting ride began...

Z.

/ Runaway truck and trailer with me driving the tractor on it! #27  
My trailer has drop ramps.
View attachment 520336
They don't bend.

Adding drop legs or jacks to the rear of the trailer was what I was referring to. Not drop ramps.

I should have been more clear.

This.

Having those legs is just one of the reasons I like standing trailer ramps. Those legs prevent what happened to the OP plus reduce the overall stress on the trailer to boot.

/ Runaway truck and trailer with me driving the tractor on it! #28  
I have drop legs on my 14k trailer but would have loved drop ramps. All-in-one solution.

/ Runaway truck and trailer with me driving the tractor on it! #29  
My big trailer has double hinged ramps so they don't get hung up on uneven ground. I've had the style with the fixed support on the ramp get stuck once loaded. 20170621_182943.jpg
And yes I know I need to replace the deck.

/ Runaway truck and trailer with me driving the tractor on it!
Reading comments, watching video and actual experience has brought me to the conclusion that I did evrything wrong. No, I'm not going to do it again while someone videos.:shocked::thumbdown::D Yes, I was going slightly downhill or truck was headed slightly downhill. I've loaded and unloaded BXs, Fs, and Bs several times without the lifting and rolling experience. It did happen one time about 10 years ago with a different 16' dual axle trailer on the dealers level lot loading a L3240. I later figured out I was over my load limits for the trailer counting in the trailer weight.
Different tractor, 10 years experience loading and unloading tractors, different trailer, different truck and being in a hurry and not calculating my weight I did it again but not on level ground like the first and only other time I did it. Chocks, blocks, level or uphill and someone to hold the brake on will be my future method.:thumbsup: I will also be more aware of locating the tractor over the trailer wheels for better distribution of weight. My Toyota Tacoma pulled it OK to the dealer except for the feeling of swaying at higher speeds but I'm probably over the trucks pull weight limit but it's on fairly level highway until I get near home. If the truck seems to strain I may unload at the bottom of the hill and drive the tractor up and have my wife bring me back down in the RTV1140 to get the truck. Now we are in the rain, rain, rain so will go get it between showers if it's ready today or in the morning.