Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions?

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #21  
A picture would really help. This is my ten acre lake. There is a 35 to 40 foot vertical drop to water. The water at the cliff face is 45 feet deep. I have a 50 foot set back in those areas where I can even get near the lake. I keep "whatever" trimmed down with my chainsaw.
IMG_0137.jpeg

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #22  
Dayum, thats one beautiful lake. I used to love high diving/cliff diving in my crazy days.
Got any good high dive spots with deep enough water?

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #23  
Weed wacker with a saw blade to open them up followed up by a strong dose of Roundup on the stumps.
A good concept, but ditch the weed whacker and get a brush clearing saw (basically, a weed whacker on steroids with "bicycle handles"). Also get a blade designed for cutting saplings for use with these saws. An ordinary circular saw blade is not rated for the RPMs these saws turn and have been known to come apart when cracks or other flaws develop. Those cracks and flaws are more likely to happen in a circular saw blade: it's stiffer and more brittle than a brush blade, and prone to developing cracks as a result of impacts. You really dont want to be around one when it start to come apart and fling shrapnel while turning at several times their rated RPM

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions?
Thanks for all the help so far. Lots of great suggestions. I’ll post some pics soon.

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #25  
A picture would really help. This is my ten acre lake. There is a 35 to 40 foot vertical drop to water. The water at the cliff face is 45 feet deep. I have a 50 foot set back in those areas where I can even get near the lake. I keep "whatever" trimmed down with my chainsaw. View attachment 699553
First photo I've seen of your alligator.

Bruce

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #26  
A good concept, but ditch the weed whacker and get a brush clearing saw (basically, a weed whacker on steroids with "bicycle handles"). Also get a blade designed for cutting saplings for use with these saws. An ordinary circular saw blade is not rated for the RPMs these saws turn and have been known to come apart when cracks or other flaws develop. Those cracks and flaws are more likely to happen in a circular saw blade: it's stiffer and more brittle than a brush blade, and prone to developing cracks as a result of impacts. You really dont want to be around one when it start to come apart and fling shrapnel while turning at several times their rated RPM
What?
Thats exactly what I’m suggesting. A weed wacker, even a Stihl FS91 with a blade can clear acres of small stumps. I have an FS550 forestry saw.
You thought I meant a circular saw blade? Lol
And BTW, the brush saw blades fragment, too. I had a piece of one removed from my neck last year when my brush saw struck a rock. Surgeon removed it for me.
1621734265074.jpeg

1621734337143.png

1621734395551.jpeg

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #27  
What?
Thats exactly what I’m suggesting. A weed wacker, even a Stihl FS91 with a blade can clear acres of small stumps. I have an FS550 forestry saw.
You thought I meant a circular saw blade? Lol

I had no idea what you actually meant. But a weed whacker is not a brush saw, though there is a lot of resemblance. It is now clear to me that you are aware of the difference. I just wanted to make sure the OP (or anyone else reading this) did not misinterpret your post. There are those who have seen a brus cutter and tried to convert their string trimmer by using a table saw blade.

I've had a carbide tipped blade shed some chips when using it - but I don't like their cutting performance, or the fact that a typical user can't resharpen them, so after that one trial, I don't use them anymore. I've never has a steel brushcutter blade have pieces snap off

Last edited:
   / Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #28  
I had no idea what you actually meant. But a weed whacker is not a brush saw, though there is a lot of resemblance. It is now clear that you are aware of the difference. I just wanted to make sure the OP (or anyone else reading this) did not misinterpret your post.
Some weed whackers can be a string trimmer or a brush cutter. My smaller Stihls do double duty with grass and brush and do an excellent job and hold up well.

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #29  
Weed wacker with a saw blade to open them up followed up by a strong dose of Roundup on the stumps.
We are doing remediation of retention/detention basins and working with a local conservancy to remediate phragmites.
I agree. If he wants to avoid cutting them over and over Tordon, or 2,4D painted on the cut stump.

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #30  
If it’s a smooth bark tree you could do a bark treatment of Remedy and diesel painted on the bark around the tree, from the ground to 3’ high.