saw for chainsaw milling

/ saw for chainsaw milling #1  

herm0016

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4720h
anyone have a larger Chinese saw? looking at the holzforma 388 $240 with 28 bar and chain.

looking for something to do some chainsaw milling and not spend a ton.

also, will a ms261 handle a 24 in bar?

or better to go used? anyone have something in that size range for sale

i have a 251 with an 18 and that is my trimming and cutting saw. its done everything i have tried, including an over 3 foot dia silver maple stump. cut lots of smaller stuff. have the logs from the silver maple, and from a 16 in Norway to make something out of. in the future i expect we will loose one of our large locusts as well.

/ saw for chainsaw milling #2  
A 24" bar is too much for a 261.

Milling is slow cutting and hard on the saw.

Milling chain will cut a little faster than regular cross cut chain.

People on other forums have reported good results from the blue assembled MS660 clones.

/ saw for chainsaw milling #3  
   / saw for chainsaw milling
Had to look up that one. I would have to go with a used bandsaw mill because free handing a 660 sounds painful in my case.

no ****. would never try that... yes with a chainsaw mill.... I did not think I needed to say that I was using a chainsaw mill when talking about chainsaw milling... my friend has the 261, but he cant seem to get it running right, and thinks a 24 on it would be ok. i thought otherwise. confirmed.

a used band saw mill will be more than 10x the price of a Chinese saw and the attachment I think. i guess that goes with the "what tractor do i need" threads.

/ saw for chainsaw milling #6  
no ****. would never try that... yes with a chainsaw mill.... I did not think I needed to say that I was using a chainsaw mill when talking about chainsaw milling... my friend has the 261, but he cant seem to get it running right, and thinks a 24 on it would be ok. i thought otherwise. confirmed.

a used band saw mill will be more than 10x the price of a Chinese saw and the attachment I think. i guess that goes with the "what tractor do i need" threads.

There is a video of some perhaps southeast Asian location where a guy shows up bare footed with a huge chainsaw and free hands the lumber for a new home out of logs he cuts onsite. Actually the lumber looked OK considering.

/ saw for chainsaw milling #7  
For an Alaskan rig, I consider 70cc the absolute smallest you should go, 75-80cc is better (or even bigger if you can swing it). The saw should have good airflow, also good chip discharge, and good oiling capacity.

/ saw for chainsaw milling #8  
For an Alaskan rig, I consider 70cc the absolute smallest you should go, 75-80cc is better (or even bigger if you can swing it). The saw should have good airflow, also good chip discharge, and good oiling capacity.

I agree. I was out to mill some cherry boards. A friend picked up an Alaskan Mill at a sale. I have an 044 with 28" bar and bought the proper chain for milling. I wasn't worth all the trouble and slow cut time. Saw got hot, used a ton of fuel and was more valuable than the wood so I aborted the project.

/ saw for chainsaw milling

Thanks. this is exactly the kind of advice i was looking for.

/ saw for chainsaw milling #10  
That's a strenuous job for an appropriate name brand saw. And you want to try it with a chinese clone?
Good luck.