Scale system for dump trailers ?

/ Scale system for dump trailers ? #1  

FredH

Platinum Member
Tractor
N.H. TC-30
Per the title , anyone know of a on board scale system for dump trailers . I know about onboard systems used on semi's , basically is connected to airbag system thus uses pressure , but with most smaller trailers and dump tailers , they are all leaf spring systems .

If nothing commercialy available , I see a project in my future . Thinking that I could get a set of airbags , make my own brackets to install . and add minimal air to snug up bag or bags . Have a pressure gauge also installed on system . When trailer is empty , bag would be XX psi . Thus dump 4000 pounds in , bag would be compressed and psi would go up . It would take a few loads to get a calibration rate , but after that it , it would be simple to look at pressure gauge while loading and wave the hand to stop when pressure is reached .

I get a lot of my various rock products straight from the quarry . You empty weight going in , then loaded going out . When products like decompsoed granite or sand / gravel cement mix get rained on for a week or 2 , they tend to get a little heavy , thus cannot rely on " Looks " or even bucket size of loader .

Thoughts ???

Fred H.

/ Scale system for dump trailers ? #2  
I've never heard of a weight system for spring ride trailers, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I just look at my tires, when they look like they are half flat I've got enough. I had 1200 lbs (according to the DOT scale that wasn't manned) on my M101CDN2 the other day. Just a tad overweight, but it hauled like a dream.

/ Scale system for dump trailers ? #3  
Shouldn't be too hard to make a mechanical device that measures the distance between frame and axle. Then calibrate it with known weights.

Bruce

/ Scale system for dump trailers ? #4  
How about a 2 dollar harbour freight tape measure? And check the distance from bottom of trailer to the road? That's my quick check on the pickup?

/ Scale system for dump trailers ?
Yesterday I got another load of granite from the rock pit . Scaled empty going in with my 2006 ram 2500 quad cab LB ( hemi 4 wheel drive ) and Big tex 12' dump . Empty weight 10,860 . Large loader was having radio issue's , so another guy came over with a smaller skip loader / tractor to load . 2 full bucket loads looked close but ?? Pulled onto the scale and was a tad over 19,000 . Trailer was 30 pounds over for its rating , ( On the other hand , a few months ago same load type , granite , and load looked size wise , the same , gross was over 21,000 :shocked: ) . Trailer handled that overload fine , lifted it without a issue and over all , sitting on level ground , pickup and trailer looked like I was hauling bark instead of granite . Looking at tires is ???? since while in the rock pit , nothing is level .

I'll have to think about this some . Patent pending on My airbag idea , so nobody steal it please :laughing:

Fred H.

/ Scale system for dump trailers ? #6  
Yeah you gotta watch going to the pit, got 1/2 scoop and was well at the 14k for trailer and load.

As you know the chip trucks in Oregon run air scales. Up around here most of the log trucks do not run air bags and they are using spring suspension so they put Load Cells on the bunks that hold the logs and they just weigh the logs as everything else is the same.

Did quick search and found this site and they have all types of load cells

Vulcan Onboard Scales, Logging Truck Scales - Timber

Hitch with weight gauge.

Weigh-Safe Trailer Hitches - Towing Peace of Mind

Maybe do something on the springs or just the dump bed, I have seen a trailer hitch stinger with a pressure gauge built in so that would do your tongue weight or just weigh the whole box on the trailer.

David

/ Scale system for dump trailers ?
Yea , seen the Vulcan site with the load cells . Was not to sure the size , although I read one that was for 4" tube axles ???

My airbag idea would not be a overload or spring assist type , rather I would barely have it contact a upper plate at say 10 to 15 psi . Then as it was compressed , it would increase pressure at a gauge , thus would just have to remember readings . The remembering readings would likely be the hardest part at my age :confused:

Fred H.

/ Scale system for dump trailers ? #8  
I'm following this as I'd like to see the weight in the dump trailer before hitting the scale. about a month ago I picked up a few loads of bank run. 2016 Chevy 2500 crew cab 4x4 6.0L and 16' dump trailer. Empty weight was 12,040. Gross weight coming out for 4 loads was 21,240, 22,360, 24,440, and24,460. Truck hauled it fine and trailer tires were hardly squatting at all. Last 2 loads exceeded the trailer limit but box wasn't full and didn't look overweight. Luckily I only have a 3 mile trip to get it.

/ Scale system for dump trailers ? #9  
The load cells I have seen on the bunks are about 1 1/2 inch square range and they are machined out and the sensor is made inside.

Have a couple of the Sherline Tongue scales and they are just a 1 inch piston with a pressure gauge hooked up.

This would be subject to the load distribution in the bed but could you put pressure gauge on the hydraulic pump for the dump cylinder and see what it is when the bed starts to lift.

You could just go visit your local ODOT motor carrier enforcement person and borrow his "jump scales"

David

/ Scale system for dump trailers ? #10  
The local quarry by me sells by weight, their payloader has a scale built in that is apparently very accurate, I get 10k which is about max for my trailer and out of 2 loads on was dead on and the other was within 20 lbs of the target weight.

I still need to figure out the weight of the dump trailer by its self.