Seafoam for real?

/ Seafoam for real? #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I’m one those skeptics when it come to additives. I’m not a fan of adding stuff to my fuels or oils unless it’s for a specific reason. For example I use Stabil in my gas that will sit around for more than a few weeks and I add anti gel additive to my diesel in the winter.

Seafoam seems to be one of those miracle additives that I think works. Mainly in small engines that are running a little rough. If this actually does something, how does it work? I assume some kind of cleaner?

/ Seafoam for real? #4  
Got to wonder? Acetone? MEK? Toluene? Naptha? Some aromatic hydrocarbon...

It must be some common enough solvent.... I've never read the label or the MSDS

/ Seafoam for real? #5  
I have used Seafoam for years in vehicles, tractors and various small engines. I have used it in both gasoline and diesel. It has its limits but has saved me from opening up a fuel system many times. It has been a good tool for me.

/ Seafoam for real? #6  
Yep, same, it Does work. I get ‘catalyst malfunction’ codes in a vehicle and a can or two in fill-ups will make the light and code go away. It cleans the cat and/or O2 sensors. Good stuff.

/ Seafoam for real? #7  
USUALLY there's some guy on here that will jump in with a formula that involves IIRC naptha and acetone.
But Seafoam has saved my carbs many a time.
At one time I was running 4 (3 Stihls and a JD) chain saws frequently doing CSM. My back went out, I was laid up for about 6 months and didn't get to empty the saws properly.
They gummed up totally. When I got back to being operational I started adding Seafoam and trying to fire them up.
I'd try to start about 10 or so pulls, then move on to the next saw, let them rest a few days between pull sessions. Didn't really need the saws at time, so just kept doing that for a month or so, and darned if they didn't ALL start running fine.
Did the same thing about 2 years ago with a Stihl brushcutter that clogged up.
If I needed them for a profit making enterprise I would have bought new carbs. But this has been sort of "soak in place" and works for me.

/ Seafoam for real? #8  
You all must be buying crappy gas, or I'm one lucky son of a gun. Other than fogging a small boat motor, I've never done anything other than turn of gas and run dry, or just run dry if there is no gas shutoff. NEVER had a problem with starting 6 months or so later. Even storing gasoline for 6 months or so, and no issue using it.
Even 2 stroke, amittledly, they are a little harder to start in 6 months, but once they do, runs great.

/ Seafoam for real?
I have some stuff that sits for a while, push mowers, log splitter, chain saws etc. I normally don’t have problems and but ethanol free gas but once in a while I’ll have one run a little funny.

/ Seafoam for real? #10  
I have had good results with Seafoam. I put a bottle in both cars twice a year. One has a carb and the other has injectors. I also put some in my mower with a completely full tank of gas for winter storage. I do not have much faith in Stabil though, our local small engine guy, he is really good, told me he would never ever use Stabil in anything. He said it ends up gumming stuff up.