Seafoam for real?

/ Seafoam for real? #41  
Got to wonder? Acetone? MEK? Toluene? Naptha? Some aromatic hydrocarbon...

It must be some common enough solvent.... I've never read the label or the MSDS

First, I do use Seafoam and have for awhile. I am not a believer in "snake oils". In fact, Seafoam is the only thing I ever add (other than some Iso-heat to prevent freeze up in our winters). It made a huge difference in my JD 3020 gas which would have carb issues without the seafoam. I had several tractors, and the JD would sit for awhile and didn't always have the freshest gas. My wife had a '98 Isuzu that would throw "check engine" codes pretty regularly. A fill up or two with Seafoam would solve that. And yes, I tried not putting Seafoam in and running it and the code stayed (or, if cleared, came back). I don't have any real numbers, but my '84 pickup seems to run better w/ some Seafoam. Both of these vehicles sit for awhile between uses. I also add it to my 2-cycle fuel (which can also sit awhile).

Note that I'm not using it as a fuel preservative, rather to clean out the gunk and rust that grows in metal tanks and fuel lines as things sit and rot.

I did start making my own (only use in 4-cycle vehicles that are not in warranty--still use the real stuff in the chainsaws). The mix I use is 4:2:1 #2 diesel:Naptha:Iso Heat. At that price point I can afford to dump it into lawn mowers, tillers, etc for the first and last tanks each summer, the two older vehicles and the Gravely walk behind every tank. Again, the chainsaws get real seafoam along with their two cycle oil.

This seems to work for me. YMMV, try at your own risk, etc.

/ Seafoam for real? #42  
I have had good results with Seafoam. I put a bottle in both cars twice a year. One has a carb and the other has injectors. I also put some in my mower with a completely full tank of gas for winter storage. I do not have much faith in Stabil though, our local small engine guy, he is really good, told me he would never ever use Stabil in anything. He said it ends up gumming stuff up.
The red stuff, yes. I have seen the jelly in carbs that have had stabilize in them too long. The blue, marine use stuff works better. It's made to absorb more moisture then the red.

/ Seafoam for real? #43  
Additives do work. Seafoam is kinda old timey for old timey things. Marvel mystery oil is handy. Lucas, oh yeah I will buy that. That stuff in the blue bottle at the parts store, works good too.

We have a large cab tractor we mainly bale with. Also put hay out in winter. It will get to puffing out a shot of blue smoke when you take off from dropping a bale. It will get so bad as to making a royal blue cloud above the tractor if left unattended. One bottle of additive stops it for over a year. After we seen it work, we put a shot in all the tractors now. When the cab tractor starts smoking and you put additive in, and it clears, you know it works. Only gets put in when it does the smoke signals. Maybe once a year or longer.

/ Seafoam for real? #44  
All I can get here is cut with alcohol. The additive is cheaper than the top tier stuff. (more detergent)

/ Seafoam for real? #45  
I am always skeptical about claims that say "I avoided problems by using a particular additive". How do they know that? Chances are very high they wouldn't have had a problem if they used nothing and cared for their vehicle in a reasonable manner. I view fuel and oil additives in the same light as I view vitamins and health supplements. The vast majority of them are over-hyped and not really needed.
But not seafoam. It does work. As stated by many folks here in this thread and many other places. It has actually cured issues that existed - not just prevented…

/ Seafoam for real? #47  
I have a 24' Sea Sport with a 454 for the ocean that is on the water 6 months a year. I always add Sea Foam to the tanks on every other fill up. It always starts. A couple ounces in the chain saws, brush cutter, ATV, snowmachine, and everything else gets it. It is the one additive that I use adamantly!

/ Seafoam for real?
Just my opinion but the video above sort of backs it up. For longer term storage Stabil and for something that runs a little rough, Seafoam. That’s tge way I’ve been doing it for several years.

/ Seafoam for real? #49  
I think I will go buy some Seafoam tomorrow. I am a believer, I just haven't used it in a while. Thanks for the reminder!

/ Seafoam for real? #50  
I got the Husky Back Pac blower out yesterday. It's been sitting up in the shop loft since last October.

It started on the second pull, Ran perfectly right out of the gate. Ran through the entire tank of fuel.

I didn't put Sea Foam or any other fuel additive in when it was put away.

Testimonial! ;-)