Share your Canning Photos

/ Share your Canning Photos #71  
We have a wild plumb. Around here it is called sand hill plumb. Wounder if it is the same? The fruit starts out light green then ripens red. About 3/4" - 1" Grows on a thorny bush that grows in thickets

Dirt, that sounds like what we call a sloe. They are the first thing to bloom in the spring. The whole bush will be a pretty white. As far as jam or jelly from them, you had better add lots of sugar. They are TART!

Margie has been making pepper jelly, but I'm at work and the pictures are at home. She does the green jam with the peppers blended in. Also one she made up herself she calls Cran-pepper jelly. You just cook the peppers, then strain them out. You can use cranberry juice cocktail, cranberry juice, cranberry sauce or cranberry sauce with the whole berries. You do more or less peppers to make it hotter or cooler. I'll post pictures of the last batch she made when I get off work.

/ Share your Canning Photos #72  
well the damson plum's is not a wild plum they do grow on a bush but they are orchard grown. people in central Virginia had a lot of them growing in the 1940's and 50's. the jam taste a lot like a sweet tart.

/ Share your Canning Photos #73  
005.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg

This is what Margie has made the last few weekends. The green pepper jelly {jalapeno jam}. Cran-pepper. My sister's cran-pepper. She blended a few peppers and left in it, so it doesn't have the clear color of Margie's.

/ Share your Canning Photos #74  
019.jpg021.jpg

I forgot her pepper rings. These are jalapeno and sweet banana peppers. And two more kinds of cran-pepper jelly. The one on the left has blended peppers in it, and the one on the right is made from cranberry sauce with whole berries.

/ Share your Canning Photos #75  
The pepper rings look good!

Thanks for the info on the plums. I prefer the tart ones (hence I like wild plum jelly and jam), as I don't have as much of a sweet tooth, so may have to look into those.

This is a neat and interesting thread!

/ Share your Canning Photos #76  
well went and checked the corn this morning and a lot of it was ready to pick so we got 130 ears today. we don't can any of it just freeze it but here is pics anyway.DSC00555.jpgDSC00556.jpg

/ Share your Canning Photos #77  
That is some pretty corn, sam.

/ Share your Canning Photos #78  
That is some pretty corn, sam.
thanks I can't belive out of all we picked today didn't have any worm's not one, and every ear was a keeper. I always treat the corn for worm's but I think that's the first time I have had that good of luck .

/ Share your Canning Photos #79  
Guys I bet we are talking about the same thing. depends on where you are as to what there called

/ Share your Canning Photos #80  
Dirt, that sounds like what we call a sloe. They are the first thing to bloom in the spring. The whole bush will be a pretty white. As far as jam or jelly from them, you had better add lots of sugar. They are TART!

Margie has been making pepper jelly, but I'm at work and the pictures are at home. She does the green jam with the peppers blended in. Also one she made up herself she calls Cran-pepper jelly. You just cook the peppers, then strain them out. You can use cranberry juice cocktail, cranberry juice, cranberry sauce or cranberry sauce with the whole berries. You do more or less peppers to make it hotter or cooler. I'll post pictures of the last batch she made when I get off work.
sorry I forgot to quote but we are probably talking about the same thing they are very bitter.