Shipping Container Shop

/ Shipping Container Shop #11  
I built a shop from two containers about 15 years ago, give or take. I bought the containers to store stuff when I wasn't there because they where fast, affordable and fairly secure. After a year of working on the land I built a roof over them and walls between them. It was fairly simple to do, but not something that I would do again. They make poor walls and it's always a pain dealing with what's inside the containers. If you have the time, it would be much cheaper and better in the long run to just build a normal pole barn.

After my divorce, I created a small living area off of the side of one of the containers. I think it was 12 by 40.

Here are a few pics.

709.jpg

825.jpg

754.jpg

743.jpg

/ Shipping Container Shop #13  
If you are not fussy, containers fit the bill. If you get fussy, I think containers quickly don't make sense anymore over conventional construction. I have 1 40 footer that I got for free, just had to pay for transport. Good for storage of stuff you want out of the weather, but not delicate stuff. Great for remote locations. As a shop? Why would you bother? Becaue it's a fad or trend, isn't a good answer.

The dimensions of containers really suck. They were after all designed to go down the road.

/ Shipping Container Shop #14  
I have a 24' wide garage and sometimes bump into stuff moving 8' boards around. I don't think I'd want a storage container for a shop. I might want one for actual storage, though.

/ Shipping Container Shop #15  
I posted on another container barn thread about my plans. I'm currently clearing a location to move 2 20' containers that we currently own and I'll buy a 40' high bay to go along with them. I want to have indoor storage for a tractor, a travel trailer and a couple of boats and to utilize the containers for small equipment and tool storage.

My plan is to put the 20'ers end to end and then offset the 40' HB 35'. 36' 4/12 trusses will sit on pony walls sized to give ~13 or 14' clearance under the bottom chord. I'll build a smaller pitch roof that will cover the containers and extend out to give a 10' cover storage areas. This will give 1400ft^2 inside barn area, 640 ft^2 container area and 800ft^2 covered storage. The containers will sit on poured in place beams with piers down a few feet and have embedded steel plates to weld down the containers.

Here is where i'm at on my design. I have been thinking wood for construction but after speaking with a buddy who is in the metal building business, it might make sense to get a different welder and build with steel.

Container-Barn-2.jpg

/ Shipping Container Shop #16  
In the process of one myself
0A111ED1-DDDA-4237-9B2F-F0A47FFBC0DA.jpeg

/ Shipping Container Shop #17  
Why not put the trusses at the edge of the containers for more covered space? Is it for appearance purposes?

/ Shipping Container Shop #18  
Why not put the trusses at the edge of the containers for more covered space? Is it for appearance purposes?

I would put them on the inside edge and raise them up enough so that you can just continue the roof line to the other side. It's storage that is very inexpensive compared to the cost of the rest of the building. When containers are set up close to the ocean they will rust through on the roof if the roof is just left flat like a container.

/ Shipping Container Shop #19  
That's what I was kind of thinking. I guess it depends on how much more wider trusses are. Saves you some framing if it's cheap enough. Nice thing about this design is you don't get rain and snow dumped in your opening.

/ Shipping Container Shop #20  

Having the trusses on the inside wall will provide more wall space, which allows for more accessible shelving.

Having the trusses on the outside wall creates a large area above the container that will allow for more storage that will more then likely result it "stuff" ending up that is never seen again, or remembered that it existed. For me, I would think of it as a giant dust catcher where snakes go to to remove their skins. At least that's what I found with my container barn.

I would build the wall up from the inside container and extend the roof over the container just like it is in the Sketch Up drawing, and then max out the insulation over the container.