Shipping Container Shop

/ Shipping Container Shop #1  

Wyobuckaroo

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2032R
So I been thinking..... At times my Sweetie would say... "Now what ?"

I'm thinking it would be quick, easy, and hopefully economical to build a storage, shelter shed from shipping containers.

I want rodent and bear proof storage for livestock feed, hay, other equipment and directly out of the weather storage for implements and such.

For instance the one in the picture is super simple. It would be nice to have the full slab under it like the photo has, but not necessary. A pad at both ends of two, forty foot long containers. Depending on standard rafter lengths available, the containers a minimum of 12' apart. Rafters can be easily anchored to the containers with angle iron and bolts. Close in the gable ends and back end. Of course snow load here in the far north is a consideration.

Anyone done this ? Seen it done ? Thought of doing it ??
Facts, details, helpful info ?

Shipping Container Garage.jpg

/ Shipping Container Shop #2  
I would set them on blocks that way it easier to level them after freeze, get some pressure treated truss's made they can span 40 feet, want 24-30 inch eve, at 48 overhang at the container doors. Road millings have them oil and roll it.

/ Shipping Container Shop #3  
Major and really the only complaint I've consistently heard about container shops is condensation if they're not insulated and ventilated correctly. I'd have a setup like that in a minute.........Mike

/ Shipping Container Shop #4  
I think it's all about what you can get the trailers for and their condition. I see prices of 5K or more, not in great condition, easily open to the rodents you want to keep out. That makes 10K plus the other materials, so 15K or so.

I can build a shed for that and include dry/safe storage.

Maybe if you can find trailers for less ....

/ Shipping Container Shop #5  
2nd what mrmikey said. I have one of these shipping containers and it is awesome for storage. Waterproof, windproof, rodent proof even! That said, I can only be in there with the door open for about 10 minutes because the air is so stagnant. Mine even has an air vent. I would not want to work inside one unless it had windows and a lot more ventilation.

With the setup like you have pictured, you could use the container as storage, tools, materials, and build the shop between them. That seems like a great idea!

/ Shipping Container Shop #6  
I've worked in shops set up like this. It's ok untill you set up a work bench in one of the containers. Then you are forever opening those doors to work inside. (By the way make sure you buy containers with good doors.) I like the idea of a shop made like this but I would install a good rodent proof metal walk in door to the inside of the main shop part. You will be thankfull many times over.

Edited to add that I would put the walk in door approximately in the center or towards the rear of the container. They are long and narrow. When you start to use them for storage stuff gets piled up. (Good shelves help with that.) If you are looking for something in the rear of the container you have to go through all of the front stuff to get to the rear. A center door helps alleviate that.

/ Shipping Container Shop #7  
There's a few threads on shipping container shops here on TBN. Search around for them. Good reading.

/ Shipping Container Shop #9  
around here you could get 1 trip containers for under 5K
its endless what you can do with them

/ Shipping Container Shop #10  
Hello,
I have seen a lot of tv shows about people building houses from shipping containers. It sounds good, but if you are going to put on siding, a fake roof, have to insulate it and put in good windows, you might as well build a house from scratch. That way, you can configure it the exact way you want it. I saw a show the other day that the guy who was building a container house was kind of disappointed when he got finished. Cutting holes for access to other parts of the building and for windows is not easy work. In your case, I understand the rodent and bear proof part, but those containers are pretty narrow for a well laid out, working shop. Just my view point. Good luck on whatever you decide.

MFWD