show your homemade splitter pics here

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #71  
ok, heres some pics of mine.

i happen to have it installed on the new tractor so i could sort out the replacement hydraulic hose and coupler to match the new unit.

i built it 5 years ago or so...cant really remember. i know it took longer to round up the parts than to actually make it.

the cylinder and valve from "surplus center" and the splitting wedge from northern tools.

the rest from scrap piles. I got the h iron beam from a local scrap yard. it was 6.5 feet long. I have a 24" cutting length max, which is fine as i usually cut 16" for my fireplace.

Attachments

• splitter 1.jpg
    splitter 1.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 753
  • splitter 2.jpg
    splitter 2.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 410
  • splitter 3.jpg
    splitter 3.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 383
  • splitter 4.jpg
    splitter 4.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 455
  • splitter 7.jpg
    splitter 7.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 490
  • splitter 6.jpg
    splitter 6.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 511
  • splitter 5.jpg
    splitter 5.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 430
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #72  
heres mine it was my first attempt at building a loader and rotating grapple works great I have since upgraded the grapple design for the one on my trailer.

Attachments

• MORE STUFF 007.jpg
    MORE STUFF 007.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 5,191
  • Wood Splitter 003.jpg
    Wood Splitter 003.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,164
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #73  
This is the second splitter I have built, I prefer vertical. My first was for me, I built it for a 3 pt hitch. The second was for my friend, it's stationary, he runs it off the hydraulics from a small Case tractor. Both were built mostly from the scrap pile, I beams from an old bridge, my cylinder is a 4" and I bought a splitter valve, Bob's is a 3" cylinder, but he has a cook stove and uses shorter lengths. I rigged a traction control valve for Bob's splitter control.

Low-cost log splitter-
YouTube - Bob's wood splitter.wmv

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #75  
Here's mine. The engine and tires came from an old Craftstmen tractor that someone left at the local dump, the steel was all scrap pieces.....cut with my Hypertherm plasma cutter, welded with a Hobart 210 mig welder. The pump, cylinder and valve came from Northern Tool, the hoses from a local supplier. I have used this now for 6 years, 3 cord each year myself.....my friends have probably done another 20 cord or so. These pictures taken just before the 6th year of use.....just got a fresh paint job! Unique features? The beam is the Hydraulic tank....it is a piece of 5 x 7 x 1/4" wall rectangular tube....from a scrap bin at the local steel supplier. The log shelves have my last name plasma cut into them...so my friends remember where it came from. Uses the throttle, electic start and key switch from the tractor as well.....have had no issues whatsoever since it was built.

Jim Colt

Attachments

• IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2844.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_2847.jpg
    IMG_2847.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_2845.jpg
    IMG_2845.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 702
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #76  
They're all awsome! Great work guys!
Here's mine.
10 hp elec start Wisconson off my old Bolens.
I used the old Tractor console, it's on the tank.
5" X 30" cyl for ram
Oil Tank out of 12" pipe 24" long
16 gpm 2 stage pump cause it was free.
Tires,wheels and spindles off a 91 Plymouth Acclaim

The log lift is being added now, will post more when complete.

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 855
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 853
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 654
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 642
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #77  
anyone ever make one upside down to mount on the front loader by taking the bucket off, so you wouldn't have to pick up the wood, just lower it down over it and use the bucket curl options to power it?

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #78  
I have seen an "upside down" splitter on a skidsteer but did not see it used. Seems to me there would be alot of maneuvering for each piece of wood. But I do like the idea of hands free operation.

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #79  
Most every one of you has built a better & nicer looking splitter. :thumbsup: I may even paint mine when its done. That is if it is ever done as it works as is.

When done, it will have wheels, tow tongue, & its own valve assembley. Currently use the tractor valve.

Attachments

• splitting 3.jpg
    splitting 3.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 711
  • splitter const 2.jpg
    splitter const 2.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 772
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #80  
Heres a wood splitter I made for a project a few yrs ago that involved
processing 45 eucalyptus trees following removal. the trees varied from 3' - 5' dia at the base and needed to be reduced into "manageable" pieces for further splitting with a regular wood splitter.

The splitter is powered by backhoe hydraulics @ 3600 psi
Ram is 6" x 30", a little math results in 100,000 + lbs of splitting force

Rounds are reduced then picked up and split to desired size over container (this case a 40 yd. roll-off box)
We could fill a box in 20 min and had people lined up to take delivery and pay for trucking cost
Unit is still in operation and working like a champ!

Attachments

• wood splitter close.JPG
    wood splitter close.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 3,146
  • wood splitter far.JPG
    wood splitter far.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 3,603
  • firewood closeup.JPG
    firewood closeup.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 562