Slope...What is safe V2.0.

/ Slope...What is safe V2.0. #11  
Your tractor is a bit on the small or light side for that brush hog but not unworkable. Some tractors allow the rear wheels to be moved farther apart - that would add stability. Putting ballast (liquid) into the rear wheels would also help lower center of gravity. If the tractor happens to start over be prepared to exit in a hurry. The mower may slow you down but the tractor probably weighs three times what that mower does. If you have a front loader, keep it low. The TBN store does carry a tilt meter. That may be a worthwhile investment for you.

I'm gonna disagree with this advice because the Deere 750 has a ROPS and a seatbelt. You're more likely to survive a rollover in a tractor with a ROPS if you stay securely belted into the seat with both hands gripping the steering wheel and just ride it out. You'll stay within the safe zone. That's what ROPS and seatbelts are for.

/ Slope...What is safe V2.0. #12  
Truly depends on many, many factors. Starving the engine of oil, soil condition, type of soil, rocks, loose clippings, tire type, tractor type....

I mow up and down a 30- 35 ° yard with my husqvarna with locking differential I bought specifically to do the job.

I drive, not mow, my tractor straight up upwards to 45° slopes but only when the soil is in good condition, not too dry and not too wet. Our current drought has kept me off the steeper parts. I keep a grader box on the back to drop when needed.

I imagine if I was mowing with a 3 pt mower or bushhog, I would only back up slopes and keep my loader bucket ready to lower if needed....but if your mower's weight will push your tractor around..idk

Like the previous responses state, there are too many factors and it comes down to what you are comfortable with. Good luck

/ Slope...What is safe V2.0.
Thank you for your responses. Would agree if tail wheel of brush hog is on ground some weight stability would be lost but a good portion of the weight will still be transferred to lower lift arms. In a potential roll over the weight would again be transferred to the tractor at a very low point as soon as the tail wheel lifts off the ground.

A couple takeaways from the posts. 1. I will expedite the installation of my ROP's. and seat belt. 2. I am still going to avoid cross hilling and use great caution any time I am on a slope. 3. it sounds like many of the roll over issues with brush hog attached may be due to the inertia of the brush hog causing the rear of the tractor to slide sideways on a hill and creating a side hill situation. I will save my mad mouse driving antics for the little lawn tractor where my fat *** can shift ballast or bail more easily.

/ Slope...What is safe V2.0. #14  
Would agree if tail wheel of brush hog is on ground some weight stability would be lost but a good portion of the weight will still be transferred to lower lift arms.
About half of it.
In a potential roll over the weight would again be transferred to the tractor at a very low point as soon as the tail wheel lifts off the ground.
By the time the tail wheel is off the ground you have tipped far enough that it doesn't matter -- you're going over.

/ Slope...What is safe V2.0.
Have seen this numerous times, the slope is fairly representative of hills on my property, I go up and down these slopes with FEL low. It looks like the point of tipping is nearly twice the slope of hill with one front wheel going into a hole and the other climbing a pile of dirt remove from hole. My sphincter is tight on the slope before the hole.

/ Slope...What is safe V2.0. #18  
I have some dips in my steeper slope that I plan on filling this Winter. Trick is to get them filled, packed, seeded and growing sufficiently to hold before the rains wash the new dirt away.

Will the weather cooperate or not is the big question. Some years I get long enough stretches of 60 degree days in December and January to do it, other years, not even close.

/ Slope...What is safe V2.0. #19  
Diggin It - post# 10 has, pretty much, hit the nail on the head. Generally speaking you can tell by that feeling in the seat of your pants. When things get dicey - the 'ol bod tends to tighten up.

I would bet that very few tractors tip just because the OP drove onto too steep a slope. You will drive onto a slope that has always been safe and then you encounter a hole, swale, gopher mound, your load will shift - - over you go.

Out here I'm particularly careful - being all by myself. If I roll and get pinned - I will, sooner or later, become coyote food. Not a pleasant thought.

I make it a point to go up/down slopes - not horizontal. That's exciting enough whether empty or carrying heavy loads.

/ Slope...What is safe V2.0. #20  
Generally speaking you can tell by that feeling in the seat of your pants.

Respectfully, I disagree.

:2cents: :
Your body, and seat of the pants, is tilted the same whether you're on 5' wide tractor where the CG is 3' above ground, or on a 7' wide tractor where the CG is 2.5 above ground. Whether tires are loaded or not. Whether FEL is has a bucket full of rocks or empty.
If you're used to the feeling of one tractor and you get on the other, you're either going to chicken out too soon or too late.

When I'm mowing a ditch, where if I roll, its only a 30 degree tip before I come to rest on the other side of the ditch, and say ditch is tucked in a nice tree lined ravine, I might feel fine.
However, if I'm mowing on top of a bare, tree-less hill that's 200-300 feet above the valley below (top-o world feeling), I'll chicken out much much earlier, despite the actual slope not even being close to the slope of the ditch at the bottom.

The fear is a psychological, seat of the pants, feeling based on one's perception at the time, but the actual physics doesn't care about one's feelings or how tight they're clenching their butt.
:2cents: