Smart Phone Data Plan Coverage Area.

/ Smart Phone Data Plan Coverage Area. #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Thinking of jumping in purchasing WeBoost for the home.

I have unlimited Verizon and T-Mobil but my home office had no coverage and dining room table minimal unless a plane happens to be flying over making calls and internet drop...

My work around is placing one phone on top of the dining room hutch as a Hotspot for the other phone 12 feet away.

I'm too cheap and wary to sign up for a plan since away so much...

I was gifted a 65" flat screen by the sellers when I bought the place and it works fine on rabbit ears as often as I use it... did I say cheap?

The work around making it all work is to switch the Verizon to airplane mode and off... doing this the Apple 6s magically goes from 1 bar to 3 if I don't move it.

I wish I could say the same for Verizon... airplane mode switch makes no difference...

Recently keep hearing about mesh but don't think it would be applicable for my situation.

Last edited:
   / Smart Phone Data Plan Coverage Area. #2  
i guess I'm not sure what you're asking. You said you have Verizon and T-Mobile, but you also said you're too cheap to sign up for a plan.

/ Smart Phone Data Plan Coverage Area.
Both phones are employer provided/subsidized as I don't own a phone...

Had phone back in 1995 and quickly learned home is located in a dead zone and still is today... just the geography of the hills and canyons.

I pay the $15 a month difference for unlimited on the T-Mobil over the employer plan.with managements blessing.

The Verizon is from the Real Estate company being on call for after hour emergencies...

Neither work when I'm in the canyon on the tractor which took me bringing my then boss out to my place so she could understand I never ignore a call but it's a coverage issue... Pager worked everywhere but pagers no more.

I never turn off the hospital phone but really got sick after the Moderna Boosters and was sent home and told to turn off the phone which had to be just so on the dresser to ring.

I turn it off as told and a co-worker neighbor a few blocks away was sent to check on me because I had not answered... electronic leash.

I know more people ditching cable, landline, etc and using just their smart phones for all...

Last edited:
   / Smart Phone Data Plan Coverage Area. #4  
You mentioned using a phone as hot spot. Are your phones the only internet you have? If so mesh is pointless.

You do realize weboost will likely cost you around $600. And you're cheap.

/ Smart Phone Data Plan Coverage Area. #5  
From what you describe, it sounds as if you have enough signal to be boosted. I would say that it would be easiest if you decide which room(s) you want coverage in. Boosted isn't uniform coverage everywhere. You will get the best performance off of a directional outside antenna (with careful aiming) and a panel indoor antenna, ideally with distance between the two of them and not pointing at each other. (Which causes RF feedback...)

Also, a taller outdoor antenna will likely help as well.

Getting coverage in the canyon is likely neither cheap, nor easy, and likely requires the blessing of lots of external folks...Since you work in an essential industry, it might not hurt to ask if T-Mobil, or Verizon could retune their antennas for better coverage. With the short range of 5G service, more antennas are being placed and existing ones are having their broadcast patterns tweaked.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
You mentioned using a phone as hot spot. Are your phones the only internet you have? If so mesh is pointless.

You do realize weboost will likely cost you around $600. And you're cheap.
Yes... just only smart phone at home and old DSL at mom's

We Boost is 349 with some less expensive refurbished available.

One time costs fit my cheap profile easier than recurring monthly...

From what you describe, it sounds as if you have enough signal to be boosted. I would say that it would be easiest if you decide which room(s) you want coverage in. Boosted isn't uniform coverage everywhere. You will get the best performance off of a directional outside antenna (with careful aiming) and a panel indoor antenna, ideally with distance between the two of them and not pointing at each other. (Which causes RF feedback...)

Getting coverage in the canyon is likely neither cheap, nor easy, and likely requires the blessing of lots of external folks...Since you work in an essential industry, it might not hurt to ask if T-Mobil, or Verizon could retune their antennas for better coverage. With the short range of 5G service, more antennas are being placed and existing ones are having their broadcast patterns tweaked.

All the best,

Peter
Always great replies on TBN...

I'm think boosting will require me to choose either Verizon or T-Mobil ad different towers and not consistent uniform signal at the same location for both?

/ Smart Phone Data Plan Coverage Area. #8  
If you have internet in the house, turn on wifi calling in the phone. Most cell providers allow it.

Have not tried it for some time but was not allowed when I tried to use DSL at mom's.

/ Smart Phone Data Plan Coverage Area. #10  
Always great replies on TBN...

I'm think boosting will require me to choose either Verizon or T-Mobil ad different towers and not consistent uniform signal at the same location for both?
It may require you to choose, but it might not. Lots of towers have multiple cellular providers at the same location. If you are trying for both, I would suggest you try a directional antenna with each phone. If you get different towers, but a strong signal, you might, might, be able to get away with a taller outside antenna location, and an omni directional outside antenna. If you do go the omni-directional antenna route, putting a large sheet of metal behind the indoor antenna, e.g. on the attic floor over the indoor ceiling antenna will help isolate the indoor antenna from the outdoor antenna.

All the best,

Peter