Smart Shop tips!

/ Smart Shop tips! #101  
Nice! I need a misc bit rack like this. So many are laying down mixed up that I have no clue what I have.

BUT what do you do to make your largest drill size hole 1/64th oversized? :laughing:

You buy a drill bit that size, drill the hole and then throw the bit away.

Take a smaller bit and wrap with sandpaper and ream out the hole. Or, another option is to put a bur on the drill bit shank and ream it out that way (and file off the burr afterward).

/ Smart Shop tips! #102  
Easy-peasy solution as I have a similar can for 2-stroke/chain oil... I replaced the both of the spouts with the cut-off tops of 1.5 ltr (or whatever equivalent size in Imperial) plastic drink bottles.

Cut across at the 'flare' so that when you screw down the lock-collar, with the ring gasket, you get a good seal. Now you have a short spout with a screw-cap that's a heck of a lot easier to manage and fill the smaller tanks of you chainsaw, whipper-snipper, etc...

First I've heard it called a "whipper-snipper". I'm assuming you're referring to a string trimmer? (weed whacker is another name we call it here)

/ Smart Shop tips! #103  
First I've heard it called a "whipper-snipper". I'm assuming you're referring to a string trimmer? (weed whacker is another name we call it here)

My dad bought two for the farm back in the late 60s or early 70s. The first ones were Weed Eaters IIRC.

Edit: early 70s and a Texan inventor.

String trimmer - Wikipedia

/ Smart Shop tips! #104  
My dad bought two for the farm back in the late 60s or early 70s. The first ones were Weed Eaters IIRC.

Edit: early 70s and a Texan inventor.

String trimmer - Wikipedia

Weed Eater is the brand. But it is used for string trimmers the way "Bobcat" is used for skidsteers and "Kleenex" is used for facial tissue. Brand recognition at its best!

/ Smart Shop tips! #105  
Weed Eater is the brand. But it is used for string trimmers the way "Bobcat" is used for skidsteers and "Kleenex" is used for facial tissue. Brand recognition at its best!

Agreed

/ Smart Shop tips! #106  
I decent into a old twist top sauce bottle.
Easy to carry and fill the saw.
Cheers

I use coffee creamer containers for my oil, it comes with a built in pour spout.

download.jpg

/ Smart Shop tips! #107  
Herbicide for stumps and basal applications...
I save the plastic ketchup or mustard bottles that are self sealing and only open when squeezed firmly. I mix small amounts of tree/brush herbicide and keep in one of those bottles for use when I only need to hit few trees. I don't have to worry about it spilling, and I can squirt a quick stream around the cambium layer of a stump or around the base of a tree. Saves time and clean up compared to pump sprayers too.

/ Smart Shop tips! #108  
Herbicide for stumps and basal applications...
I save the plastic ketchup or mustard bottles that are self sealing and only open when squeezed firmly. I mix small amounts of tree/brush herbicide and keep in one of those bottles for use when I only need to hit few trees. I don't have to worry about it spilling, and I can squirt a quick stream around the cambium layer of a stump or around the base of a tree. Saves time and clean up compared to pump sprayers too.

Genius.

I do the same

Adjustments.jpg

/ Smart Shop tips! #109  
You buy a drill bit that size, drill the hole and then throw the bit away.

Now that's cool. And here I thought it'd be easy to use the next larger bit for each hole and only have one hole that you'd need to enlarge.

/ Smart Shop tips! #110  
When re building a carburetor I smear the gasket with grease, it makes for a good seal and can be reused a few times.

That’s actually a good tip. I have 2 ATVs, both with leaky petcock valves. Replaced both but they still leak (stupid cork gasket design). I’m going to try your silicone grease idea.