Snap Ring Pliers that work?

/ Snap Ring Pliers that work? #1  

Bartcephus

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland 1510 fwa with FEL
Ok, maybe its just me, but I havent found a pair that the snap ring will not slip of the pins and just "snap" right back into place when you are trying to remove the snap ring. Likewise when tring to install a snap ring, they slip off before you can get the ring to the part. Has anybody found a pair that actually work well? If so, please share the brand and where to get them. My frustration level with snap rings needs some relief....

Thanks,
Bart

/ Snap Ring Pliers that work? #2  
Look for those that have replaceable tips. They usually have tip options available that have a slight angle formed on the tip to favor the clip staying on.
larry

/ Snap Ring Pliers that work? #3  
Ok, maybe its just me, but I havent found a pair that the snap ring will not slip of the pins and just "snap" right back into place when you are trying to remove the snap ring. Likewise when tring to install a snap ring, they slip off before you can get the ring to the part. Has anybody found a pair that actually work well? If so, please share the brand and where to get them. My frustration level with snap rings needs some relief....

Thanks,
Bart

If you find a quality set...I would be interested in hearing about it...all I could find is the same (worthless) junk and some over-priced sets on e-bay...I suppose SnapOn makes one that works but $$$....I have settled for a quality set of needle point pliers...

/ Snap Ring Pliers that work? #4  

Thanks,
Bart

Bart,
Lots of experience with snap rings here, mostly in working on SCUBA gear.
I think Mephistopheles had something to do with the creation of snap rings, but, to *minimize* problems, you need as close to a perfect fit in pin size. You also need pin proper alignment to the hole as related to direction of stretch or compression. There are both innie and outie snap rings.

The type of pliers that offer changeable pin tips are likely the worst choice in functionality in that the tips tend to slip as you apply pressure, causing loss of good alignment. If you use pliers that are too small for the job the tips will likely break off, even with a quality tool. The metal has to be pretty stiff to work as designed, but hence, brittle.

This is one of those situations where acquiring the best quality and appropriately sized tool available will make a major difference in functionality. The bite here is that one size in no way will fit all, and the more specific the tool to the job the better it will work. This is not the ideal tool to get at Harbor Freight.

I'm not endorsing Snap-On per se, but a web search will reveal lots of options. A selection can be seen here.
Snap-on Tools

Have fun,
Dennis

/ Snap Ring Pliers that work? #5  
We have a bunch of the Snap-On snap ring pliers at work. They are the kind that have changable tips and convert between inner and outer snap rings... I HATE them all.. junk in my book. I prefer the kind that is single use, for an inner ring or an outer ring and the tips are fixed and the proper size for the job. It means lots of $$$ for lots of pliers.. but it also means no skinned knuckles and no chewed up snap rings.

/ Snap Ring Pliers that work? #6  
The only ones I've had with the replaceable tips came from Homier; in other words a complete waste of money. The good ones I had were from Matco, but I'm sure Snap-On and MAC have some just as good, but they ain't cheap.

/ Snap Ring Pliers that work? #7  
The best that I have personally found are channel lock brand.

I think I got them at lows. They will do inside and outside and do have the replacable tips. But they have worked for me everytime I have needed.

Channellock Snap Ring Pliers, Model# 927 | Snap Ring Pliers | Northern Tool + Equipment

Another good pair that I have used is the snap-on ones that lock. They dont switch between internal and external so you have to buy two pairs and they are expensive. But they are good none the less.

PR51, Pliers, Retaining Ring, Interchangeable Tip, Internal, 9 1/2"

/ Snap Ring Pliers that work? #8  
I have had my Proto snap ring pliers for about 15yrs now,I bought them at a local bearing house. Like others have said you need to have the right size and angle for the job or you will be fighting it all day.
I was at a job one day and I couldn't find one of my pliers so I went to True Value and bought a pair,I was surprised to find they were made in the USA and looked identical to the Proto.
Also got a set of replaceable tip pliers at a liquidation co.that had quality tools they were also made in USA and would lock open and closed,where the tips go into are solid steel, pliers weigh about 1Lb.also work good.

/ Snap Ring Pliers that work? #9  
Snap-on or Proto NON REPLACEABLE tip type. I'm sure there are other name brands too like Mac or other ones but stay away from the interchangeable tip type.

/ Snap Ring Pliers that work? #10  
One thing I've found useful when using the reversible type pliers is to make certain that the pivot screw holding the jaws together is tight. I've often just screwed the halves of the pliers together, not paying attention to how tight the screw was and almost every time I do that, the jaws snap past each other and .... off I go, looking for a new snap-ring cause the one on the pliers took off like a shot.

Mark