Starlink

LittleBill21

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL, White
I will double check these numbers, but I believe the Starlink router uses 10.0.0.1 by default. And its DHCP serves up 10.0.0.x addresses. I have not tried to change that, and am not sure you even can?

My Netgear router is 192.168.1.1. I prefer to use that address for a router since (in the future) it will sync up to all my home devices which already use 192.168.1.x addresses. (Except for testing of a few components with Netgear/starlink, all my home devices still connect to my old network.)

I have tested three devices connecting to the Netgear router, then onto Starlink. Phone, tablet, TV. Mostly testing streaming video. Either direct to a TV (using wireless), or first to my phone then screen casting to TV (also using wireless.) Most of the time it works, but then, at times, the error message about using a "non-Starlink wifi router" pops up seemingly randomly.

I will add the Netgear router back in today, and see if the error message returns. If it does, I can always reset to factory config again. I have not yet opened up any service ticket with Starlink.

if your plugged into the wan or internet port on the netgear, the starlink router doesn't know the netgear subnet, due to nat. if you have it plugged into one of the switch ports, that could cause a issue.

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD: 2520 & x758
Starlink "caught me" using the system outside my service address.

Oddly, it never caught me when I was away. But when I returned to my service address and fired it up, I got a message ... bitching ... about not be in the assigned location. Even though, I once again was at home base.

The system would not "wake up" and provide any service. I added the portability option, and it still didn't change. But I left it alone (and rebooted it) and eventually it was back to normal.

However, I am frequently getting an error regarding "Starlink has detected you are using a non-Starlink wifi router. Please only use the Starlink wifi router." I have been using a Netgear r9000 router (using ethernet cable) with Starlink wifi turned off. It has been problematic enough that, for now, I reset to factory config and am only using the dishy, the Starlink wifi router, and cable. Seems pretty primitive that it bitches if I want to integrate another device into the network?
That doesn't make much sense. A big selling point of the Starlink system is that you can use the included router or replace it (via simple removal if you have the round dish system or putting router in bypass mode for the rectangular system) and use your own router. Tons of people do this. I've never heard of that error message you listed before and I pay pretty close attention to Starlink.

As a side note, even if you did have to leave the Starlink router in place you can connect another router or mesh system to it and use that as your primary wifi network. Works fine. And for the vast majority of use cases the double NAT situation isn't an issue.

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
I will double check these numbers, but I believe the Starlink router uses 10.0.0.1 by default. And its DHCP serves up 10.0.0.x addresses. I have not tried to change that, and am not sure you even can?

Devices I connect to my Starlink system, via wifi or direct ethernet, get 192.168.0.x IPs. Never seen a 10.x address in my system.

plowhog

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
After reboot, my Starlink router is at 192.168.1.x. Starlink wifi gave my phone an address of 192.168.1.109.

I tried going to 192.168.1.1 in my browser, but that only serves up the starlink.com home page. Not sure how to get to the router itself (except thru phone app.)

I remembered while at my CA property, I got a message saying Netgear had self-changed its IP to prevent a conflict. (It didn't say what it changed to.) I had dismissed that as preventing a conflict with HughesNet, but maybe it was conflicting with Starlink which would explain a lot.

Most likely guess is I reversed my description, and Netgear is serving 10.0.0.x. I will do more checking.

LittleBill21

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL, White
After reboot, my Starlink router is at 192.168.1.x. Starlink wifi gave my phone an address of 192.168.1.109.

I tried going to 192.168.1.1 in my browser, but that only serves up the starlink.com home page. Not sure how to get to the router itself (except thru phone app.)

I remembered while at my CA property, I got a message saying Netgear had self-changed its IP to prevent a conflict. (It didn't say what it changed to.) I had dismissed that as preventing a conflict with HughesNet, but maybe it was conflicting with Starlink which would explain a lot.

Most likely guess is I reversed my description, and Netgear is serving 10.0.0.x. I will do more checking.
try 192.168.100.1

and both the netgear and the starlink can't use the 192.168.1.x subnet, one must be changed. the netgear is prolly the easiest.

plowhog

Veteran Member
Tractor
I just visited "specifications and configuration" on my phone app, then chose "Can I add a 3rd party router or mesh system?"

Here is what I read:

"Bypass mode will completely disable the Starlink Wifi router functionality."

"Please be aware that the Starlink router does not have a router bypass mode. If you use your own router or mesh system, we recommend physically removing the included Starlink router and using the 3rd party equipment exclusively with the power supply."

Q- I don't understand how I would physically remove the Starlink router, since that is how the dishy gets its power?

(btw I tried 192.168.100.1 and that did take me to the Starlink router.)

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS for work in the woods
I'm using an older Netgear router attached to the dongle from Starlink.
I've had no warning messages, the Starlink WFI is active as well as the Netgear R6220 WFI.
I have connected to each of them at different times with different devices.
Speed test when going through the Starlink are higher then through the Netgear.
Actual performance I don't see any difference most of the time.
The Netgear seems to max out around 80 MPS while the Starlink can be 200 but is usually around 100-120 MBS.

It way be the WiFi on your older router is not capable of the higher speed that modern routers are. If the Netgear router has an ethernet port, try a wired connection through that and see what the speed tests out as.

LouNY

Tractor
Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility (traded in on Branson)
Yes, the Netgear router is not capable of the higher speeds and neither is the equipment that is connecting to it.
My Android phone is the fastest device in my system.

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
I just visited "specifications and configuration" on my phone app, then chose "Can I add a 3rd party router or mesh system?"

Here is what I read:

"Bypass mode will completely disable the Starlink Wifi router functionality."

"Please be aware that the Starlink router does not have a router bypass mode. If you use your own router or mesh system, we recommend physically removing the included Starlink router and using the 3rd party equipment exclusively with the power supply."

Q- I don't understand how I would physically remove the Starlink router, since that is how the dishy gets its power?

(btw I tried 192.168.100.1 and that did take me to the Starlink router.)
As mentioned above, these are comments related to two different generation of Starlink systems. The round dish has a separate controller/POE device and a wifi router. You can remove the router and plug your own router/mesh into the controller, thereby entirely eliminating the Starlink router. The rectangular dish has a unified controller/router. That one has the bypass feature so you can disable the router and use your own, but physically you cannot 'remove' it.

BrierPatch

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 364 FEL, BH65, 60" MMM

Thanks for this post. I was wondering how to access the starlink router from a pc on my home network and not just the phone app. I must have missed this in all my excitement of getting a unit and getting it up and running. (y)

I run my starlink (rectangler 2nd gen.) in bypass mode. My home network is 2 ASUS RT-AC68 in a mesh setup. Starlink just connects to the WAN port (internet port) using the ethernet dongle/adapter. My home network runs a totally different IP than the 192 network and I've not had any troubles.

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
StarLink portability is aimed at people who have boats or RVs and who would need Internet access away from home. This is a REALLY big deal for boats.

Starlink seems to be limited to 12 miles offshore at the present time, which I think is mainly due to the need to have satellite to satellite communication. Having said that, I noticed there were dead zones in the Chesapeake in VA, one of the sounds in NC, and in one of the Great Lakes where one would expect coverage.

In some places, cell service is good enough if one is near shore, we have had cell service six or so miles off shore, and I have heard of people getting a signal farther offshore. But even along the coast, one can be without cell service and cell Internet can be expensive. Offshore Internet is exceedingly expensive, and can cost tens of thousands of dollars for the equipment and the data plans can be hundreds of dollars a month and still be data limited. I have seen plans that were $1 a megabyte. :eek:

Starlink is working on boats at the present time but not warrantied, however, this is one of the areas that Starlink wants to support so it will happen in time. Starlink is going to wipe out some of the off grid Internet providers. Paying $130 a month for unlimited bandwidth at the Starlink speeds is dirt cheap compared to the competitors.

Land based, we were paying $120 per month of an unlimited cell plan. And our DSL at 1.5 mbps was $50-75 a month. Our new cell plan, we need backup Internet access, is $20ish a month but data limited AND not working. 🤬

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
StarLink portability is aimed at people who have boats or RVs and who would need Internet access away from home. This is a REALLY big deal for boats.
Are you sure about that? Have you seen an announcement to that effect? My understanding is that 'portability' is for users to take their dish to a location other than their designated service address and use it there in a static fashion. The in-motion capability for use on a moving vehicle (i.e. moving camper or boat) is not yet live. It's in the works, for sure, but I don't think the $25/mo 'portability' is intended for in-motion use.

Jchonline

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, X1100C, M62(S)

Starlink seems to be limited to 12 miles offshore at the present time, which I think is mainly due to the need to have satellite to satellite communication. Having said that, I noticed there were dead zones in the Chesapeake in VA, one of the sounds in NC, and in one of the Great Lakes where one would expect coverage.

In some places, cell service is good enough if one is near shore, we have had cell service six or so miles off shore, and I have heard of people getting a signal farther offshore. But even along the coast, one can be without cell service and cell Internet can be expensive. Offshore Internet is exceedingly expensive, and can cost tens of thousands of dollars for the equipment and the data plans can be hundreds of dollars a month and still be data limited. I have seen plans that were $1 a megabyte. :eek:

Starlink is working on boats at the present time but not warrantied, however, this is one of the areas that Starlink wants to support so it will happen in time. Starlink is going to wipe out some of the off grid Internet providers. Paying $130 a month for unlimited bandwidth at the Starlink speeds is dirt cheap compared to the competitors.

Land based, we were paying $120 per month of an unlimited cell plan. And our DSL at 1.5 mbps was $50-75 a month. Our new cell plan, we need backup Internet access, is $20ish a month but data limited AND not working. 🤬
Incorrect.

From the Starlink FAQ page (and I have Starlink btw)

For an additional monthly fee, the Portability feature enables users to temporarily move their Starlink to new locations in order to receive service anywhere within the same continent Starlink provides active coverage. To see active coverage areas, please view the Starlink Availability Map. Portable users are served best effort and can expect lower service levels than fixed users, particularly in areas marked as "Waitlist" on the Availability Map.

Add Portability on Your Account:

• If you are an active customer, you can enable Portability from your account page and it will take effect immediately.
  • If you have multiple Starlinks, Portability must be selected and purchased for each location.
  • When you enable Portability, you are charged on your next monthly invoice. Portability is charged in full monthly increments and cannot be pro-rated. The Portability feature and billing charges will be ongoing until you decide to disable it. Once you disable Portability, the recurring charge will stop after your next monthly invoice and Portability will only remain active for the remainder of the current billing cycle. For example, if you enable Portability on March 12th and your next billing date is on April 1st, you will be charged $25 on April 1st for the full previous month.
Limitations:

• Best Effort Service: Portability service is provided on a best effort basis. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of services are not guaranteed. Starlink prioritizes network resources for users at their registered service address. When you bring your Starlink to a new location, this prioritization may result in degraded service, particularly at times of peak usage or network congestion.
  • International Travel: Starlink can only be used within the same continent as the registered Service Address. If you use Starlink in a foreign country for more than two months, you will be required to move your registered service address to your new location or purchase an additional Starlink to maintain service.
  • No In-Motion Use: We do not support Starlink use in motion at this time. Using the Starlink Kit in motion will void the limited warranty of your Kit. While our teams are actively working to make it possible to use Starlink on moving vehicles (e.g., automobiles, RVs, boats), Starlink is not yet configured to be safely used in this way.

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240, and now just one YM186D
I haven't been following this thread so skip over this if its irrelevant:

Ukraine is using Starlink for real-time decentralized artillery firing. This article says the time between discovery of a target by a forward observer or drone, to firing on that target from multiple diverse locations, has been reduced down to as little as 30 seconds. The enemy doesn't have anything like this StarWars-level instant Command&Control structure.

ponytug

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
Thanks for the informative article. It also explained why Russian counter fire has been so ineffective, something that I had wondered about.

All the best,

Peter

plowhog

Veteran Member
Tractor
When the lasercom equipped SpaceX Gen 1.5 & 2.0 satellites come on-line,
The ability to move huge amounts of bandwidth with zero ground based infrastructure will utterly subvert the ability of national governments & corporations to block or surveil Starlink communications.

The only way the US Government will be able to monitor Starlink communications is with @elonmusk active cooperation.

The power shift involved in that fact is...profound...and something for another thread....

... Quite an interesting statement from the linked article ...

RedNeckGeek

Tractor
Kubota M62, Kubota L3240D HST (SOLD!), Kubota RTV900
Happy to see this StarLink thread, as a very new StarLink customer with a Gen2 system. It's been working for almost a week here, but with a few issues.

First off, I've been unable to log in to the modem using the username/password that works on the StarLink website. When I attempt to log in to the StarLink website, I get the "Invalid Credential" error message. I click the "Locked Out?" link, get the reset email from StarLink, and reset the password. I can then login to the website, but the username/password does not work from the iPhone app. And if I log out of the website, I can't log in again using those credentials without first resetting the password. I've sent email to SpaceX at the [email protected] email address, only to receive a brief reply asking for my name, account number, and service address, all of which should have been available to them from my email address. And that reply took over a week to arrive. So for me at least, StarLink tech support is pretty much non-existent.

Connection wise, I'm using the optional StarLink Ethernet adapter, and running it to one of the WAN ports on a Unifi DreamMachine Pro. My home network has a gateway address of 192.168.10.1 so as to avoid conflicts with either the HughesNet or StarLink modems. I configured a static route to 192.168.100.1 and can access the StarLink modem via web browser at that address.

If I access the internet via the WiFi on the StarLink modem, I've seen download speeds of over 200 Mbps. However, when I access the home WiFi network through the Unifi access points, the best I've seen is less than 65 Mbps. I've verified that I'm using the 5.0 GHz band, and have tried disabling the WiFi based Protect security cams, and still can't match the StarLink direct speeds. That's also with all the fancy Deep Packet Inspection and other processor intensive features turned off in the UDMP. If/when I ever get log in to the modem working, I'll try disabling the WiFi and see if that improves WiFi speeds on the Unifi APs, but I'm not optimistic. I've already verified that the two WiFi setups are operating on different, supposedly non-conflicting, WiFi channels. But disabling WiFi on the StarLink modem might also change the way the modem handles NAT, but I'm not enough of a network guy to know how or why this might be the case.

I have the HughesNet modem hooked into the other WAN port of the UDMPro, and configured that port as a fail over. Several times a day the UDMP sends me emails that it has failed over, then less than a minute later, another email to let me know that the StarLink connection was back online. That same system was generating several dozen network failure messages a day when all that was available was the HughesNet connection, so again, that's a tremendous improvement.

The current configuration is not ideal, but even those lower speeds are ten times better than the HughesNet modem provides, and without the crippling data caps HughesNet imposes. For the first time in the twelve years I've lived here, I can stream video without buffering interruptions, which is fantastic!

I should mention that my only options for internet connectivity have all been satellite based. I'm not near any cellular antennas, and don't even have line-of-site to the closest ones. I have a copper telephone line, but it's too far from the station for DSL. And there's no way they'll ever string fiber to my little piece of heaven; there just aren't enough people out here that would use it. I waited fourteen months for my StarLink connection, most of that time because StarLink was over subscribed in my area. I find it very upsetting that StarLink is selling subscriptions to people that have lots of connectivity options, especially when they advertise that their target customers are those in rural locations with no real broadband internet options. That said, my only regret so far is that it took so long to get the dish. Even with the recent price increase, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Roric

Tractor
Kubota BX2380
Happy to see this StarLink thread, as a very new StarLink customer with a Gen2 system. It's been working for almost a week here, but with a few issues.

First off, I've been unable to log in to the modem using the username/password that works on the StarLink website. When I attempt to log in to the StarLink website, I get the "Invalid Credential" error message. I click the "Locked Out?" link, get the reset email from StarLink, and reset the password. I can then login to the website, but the username/password does not work from the iPhone app. And if I log out of the website, I can't log in again using those credentials without first resetting the password. I've sent email to SpaceX at the [email protected] email address, only to receive a brief reply asking for my name, account number, and service address, all of which should have been available to them from my email address. And that reply took over a week to arrive. So for me at least, StarLink tech support is pretty much non-existent.

Connection wise, I'm using the optional StarLink Ethernet adapter, and running it to one of the WAN ports on a Unifi DreamMachine Pro. My home network has a gateway address of 192.168.10.1 so as to avoid conflicts with either the HughesNet or StarLink modems. I configured a static route to 192.168.100.1 and can access the StarLink modem via web browser at that address.

If I access the internet via the WiFi on the StarLink modem, I've seen download speeds of over 200 Mbps. However, when I access the home WiFi network through the Unifi access points, the best I've seen is less than 65 Mbps. I've verified that I'm using the 5.0 GHz band, and have tried disabling the WiFi based Protect security cams, and still can't match the StarLink direct speeds. That's also with all the fancy Deep Packet Inspection and other processor intensive features turned off in the UDMP. If/when I ever get log in to the modem working, I'll try disabling the WiFi and see if that improves WiFi speeds on the Unifi APs, but I'm not optimistic. I've already verified that the two WiFi setups are operating on different, supposedly non-conflicting, WiFi channels. But disabling WiFi on the StarLink modem might also change the way the modem handles NAT, but I'm not enough of a network guy to know how or why this might be the case.

I have the HughesNet modem hooked into the other WAN port of the UDMPro, and configured that port as a fail over. Several times a day the UDMP sends me emails that it has failed over, then less than a minute later, another email to let me know that the StarLink connection was back online. That same system was generating several dozen network failure messages a day when all that was available was the HughesNet connection, so again, that's a tremendous improvement.

The current configuration is not ideal, but even those lower speeds are ten times better than the HughesNet modem provides, and without the crippling data caps HughesNet imposes. For the first time in the twelve years I've lived here, I can stream video without buffering interruptions, which is fantastic!

I should mention that my only options for internet connectivity have all been satellite based. I'm not near any cellular antennas, and don't even have line-of-site to the closest ones. I have a copper telephone line, but it's too far from the station for DSL. And there's no way they'll ever string fiber to my little piece of heaven; there just aren't enough people out here that would use it. I waited fourteen months for my StarLink connection, most of that time because StarLink was over subscribed in my area. I find it very upsetting that StarLink is selling subscriptions to people that have lots of connectivity options, especially when they advertise that their target customers are those in rural locations with no real broadband internet options. That said, my only regret so far is that it took so long to get the dish. Even with the recent price increase, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
I tried to get a Unifi USG gateway to play nice with Starlink and it was a rabbit hole. Even had my
very highly credentialed network IT pro son give it a shot. His advice was to watch if anybody has a
solution on reddit else you will have to invent it yourself.
So I took the gateway out of the picture. I have 4 unifi access points that I can manage through unifi
downloaded software. These are running via a wired network that comes from the Starlink ethernet adapter and 3 switches over 3 buildings. The Access points and about 13 other wired and wireless
network devices show up on the starlink page.
I am coming from Century link 6.5down/.5mbs up speeds.
Some times of day I have +200 from starlink, sometimes alot less but never down to C-L levels.
I would not toss an expensive device like the dream machine but you might try omitting it to see if the devices will work and play well with star link.
You Milage May Vary.

(I never bypassed the starlink wifi as many said to try; you have to do a factory reset to undo that.)

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
RedNeckGeek:

Do you see any obstructions showing in the app? That may account for the brief drop-outs that are causing network failover.

To address your other issues (speed via different networks/routers) you may want to pare things back to just the Starlink system, using its wifi in close proximity to the router, or using ethernet. Then check speed and make one change at a time until either an issue is noted or you get to the configuration you ultimately want.

Rob

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Connection wise, I'm using the optional StarLink Ethernet adapter, and running it to one of the WAN ports on a Unifi DreamMachine Pro.

Just a thought, I haven't had to wade in deep into networking since the early TokeRing vs Ethernet, Novell Netware, and pre-Windows era:

I have my home second router set up as an access point and as a peer to the fiber modem, not cascaded 'downstream'. The cable at the remote end of an EOP link is cabled into a LAN port at the destination, not its WAN port. All DHCP is done at the primary modem.

Your system sounds a lot more complex, maybe this wouldn't work for you.

ponytug

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
@RedNeckGeek what you are trying to do is doable. My guess is that you need to change browsers on your phone, and allow cookies to login. Other folks have reported that issue. I would disconnect everything, including the Ethernet adapter until you login normally.

On your UDM Pro, you want Starlink on WAN1, port 9, and Hughes on WAN2 port 10.

If the Starlink router is operational (I.e. not shutdown), you need to have your Hughes and your home network off 192.168.1.0/24. That belongs to Starlink. I suspect that the switch to Hughes and back is causing that issue. You don't need a static route for 192.168.100.1. Your UDM will automatically send it out the WAN port. (If you want Starlink stats when you are on Hughes, that isn't going to work, as you can't have both WAN ports active on a UDM PRO.)

With the hardware you have, you should have no trouble hitting 150-200Mbits/s on a modern tablet/phone/PC.

Finally, I would suggest moving your antenna (Dishy) to get fewer obstructions. We see an interruption a week for two minutes tops.

All the best,

Peter

RedNeckGeek

Tractor
Still waiting, but my patience is running a bit thin.
The way I look at it, I had no other choice other than to wait. AT&T and Verizon won't sell me a cellular hot spot because cellular data reception is marginal here. I tried T-Mobile, and it was good when it worked, but it experienced long periods of time when I got no connection at all. Worse, trying to cancel the "free" trial required so many phone calls over a six month period I lost track of just how many. In addition to HughesNet, I've tried the aptly named Exede (I always seemed to excede my data cap before the end of the month), and another one called Wildblue/Viasat, again with data caps and high latency. Apparently HughesNet has a new satellite with more capacity, but moving to it would entail a new two year contract and I'd still be dealing with unrealistically low data caps. If I had any choice other than traditional geosynchronous satellite internet service, I'd take it. Fortunately, the wait for StarLink, at least for me, has been worth it.

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST

The Starlink dish will have to be redesigned for it to work on a boat unless tied up at a marina. When under way, the existing dish will not react to rocking motion or pivoting when at anchor due to wind & tide.

KilroyJC

Silver Member
Tractor
1962 Case 430, 1995 Craftsman Yard Tractor/mower, 1949 South Bend 9A Lathe
Proud member of the “Waiting and Waiting List”

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
The Starlink dish will have to be redesigned for it to work on a boat unless tied up at a marina. When under way, the existing dish will not react to rocking motion or pivoting when at anchor due to wind & tide.
Maybe not. Some people have previously gotten them working doing 70 down the highway. A given starlink satellite orbits every 90 minutes. I don't onow offhand what that translates to precisely, but its only going to be visible for a few minutes, probably less than 10.

As such, dishy uses a phased array antenna to be able to instantly redirect the antenna without physically re-aiming it. Either to track a given bird or hop to the next one. It should be able to handle the bobbing & rolling of a boat. It may need a better gyroscope to figure out how it's rolling, but it should be able to track fine.

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Well, yes and no. I'm sure they will redesign it for in-motion use to have a lower profile and possibly be able to hold position with gyroscopic stabilizers or something. But even absent that the current dish probably does OK. It's phased array antenna system has the ability to focus in on multiple satellites at once as they are moving. It has dozens of receptors so it can lock on pretty well. I'd suspect it would do better than you think.

But 100% agree that the current 'portability' offering is intended static use in multiple locations, not in-motion use.

RedNeckGeek

Tractor
@RedNeckGeek what you are trying to do is doable. My guess is that you need to change browsers on your phone, and allow cookies to login. Other folks have reported that issue. I would disconnect everything, including the Ethernet adapter until you login normally.
I downloaded and installed Firefox on the iPhone 12 ProMax. There doesn't appear to be any option for enabling/disabling cookies. There was an option to clear cookies, so I did.

I powered down the StarLink modem and disconnected the Ethernet adapter.

Then power cycled the StarLink modem four times, and when it restarted, logged in to the STARLINK WiFi network using the iPhone app, renamed it and gave it a password, then went to the Settings menu and tried to login. That brings up a new window in Firefox, where it takes the username/password I've already set and stored in my password manager. That is NOT the WiFi username/password, FWIW. There's no way I'm typing in an 18 character string of random characters, but just to be safe, I brought up the StarLink username/password in the password manager, set the password field to "reveal", and copied the password. Then back in Firefox, ensured that the username was entered correctly, and pasted in the password. The Sign In screen blinks, The INVALID CREDENTIALS error message is displayed, the username/password fields become blank, and the only option I'm given is "LOCKED OUT?" If I play the game and request a password reset, then use the new credentials, I can login to the Starlink website using either Safari or Firefox. But I still can't login from the StarLink app: It always gives the INVALID CREDENTIALS error message. And that means I can't change any of the Settings on the StarLink modem.

I deleted the StarLink app on the iPhone, downloaded a fresh copy, and it didn't make any difference. At this point I'm out of options as to how to proceed, and I still haven't gotten a response from my email to StarLink tech support.

So for now I'm going to reinstall the Ethernet adapter and get back to where the UDMP is using the StarLink WAN connection. It may be slower than it could be, but it's vastly faster and more reliable than HughesNet ever thought of being.
On your UDM Pro, you want Starlink on WAN1, port 9, and Hughes on WAN2 port 10.
I've verified that is how the two WANs are configured.
If the Starlink router is operational (I.e. not shutdown), you need to have your Hughes and your home network off 192.168.1.0/24. That belongs to Starlink. I suspect that the switch to Hughes and back is causing that issue. You don't need a static route for 192.168.100.1. Your UDM will automatically send it out the WAN port. (If you want Starlink stats when you are on Hughes, that isn't going to work, as you can't have both WAN ports active on a UDM PRO.)
The HughesNet modem is set to use 192.168.0.1 and there is no way to change it.

The UDMP is using 192.168.10.1 as the gateway address. All of the cameras and other devices are using this address.

The StarLink modem uses 192.168.100.1 as the gateway address. When the MBP laptop is connected to the StarLink WiFi, I can enter this address in the browser address field and it brings up the StarLink admin page. However, there is no option to alter Settings, and it directs me to use the iPhone app to do so.

Before I set up the static route on the UDMP to 192.168.100.1, that address was not reachable when typed into the address bar of FireFox running on a MacBook Pro laptop that was using the 192.168.10.1 gateway WiFi.
With the hardware you have, you should have no trouble hitting 150-200Mbits/s on a modern tablet/phone/PC.
That's encouraging, but so far I'm lucky to get 1/3 to 1/2 that.
Finally, I would suggest moving your antenna (Dishy) to get fewer obstructions. We see an interruption a week for two minutes tops.
The only obstruction is the pole on which the HughesNet dish is mounted. The 75' cable that came with the StarLink is too short to allow me to elevate the Dishy, so I've got an order in for a 150' one. I've never seen any complaints about obstructions in the OUTAGES log.

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate the effort that went into them. I'll provide an update if/when StarLink tech support gets back to me.

ponytug

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
I downloaded and installed Firefox on the iPhone 12 ProMax. There doesn't appear to be any option for enabling/disabling cookies. There was an option to clear cookies, so I did.

I powered down the StarLink modem and disconnected the Ethernet adapter.

Then power cycled the StarLink modem four times, and when it restarted, logged in to the STARLINK WiFi network using the iPhone app, renamed it and gave it a password, then went to the Settings menu and tried to login. That brings up a new window in Firefox, where it takes the username/password I've already set and stored in my password manager. That is NOT the WiFi username/password, FWIW. There's no way I'm typing in an 18 character string of random characters, but just to be safe, I brought up the StarLink username/password in the password manager, set the password field to "reveal", and copied the password. Then back in Firefox, ensured that the username was entered correctly, and pasted in the password. The Sign In screen blinks, The INVALID CREDENTIALS error message is displayed, the username/password fields become blank, and the only option I'm given is "LOCKED OUT?" If I play the game and request a password reset, then use the new credentials, I can login to the Starlink website using either Safari or Firefox. But I still can't login from the StarLink app: It always gives the INVALID CREDENTIALS error message. And that means I can't change any of the Settings on the StarLink modem.

I deleted the StarLink app on the iPhone, downloaded a fresh copy, and it didn't make any difference. At this point I'm out of options as to how to proceed, and I still haven't gotten a response from my email to StarLink tech support.

So for now I'm going to reinstall the Ethernet adapter and get back to where the UDMP is using the StarLink WAN connection. It may be slower than it could be, but it's vastly faster and more reliable than HughesNet ever thought of being.

I've verified that is how the two WANs are configured.

The HughesNet modem is set to use 192.168.0.1 and there is no way to change it.

The UDMP is using 192.168.10.1 as the gateway address. All of the cameras and other devices are using this address.

The StarLink modem uses 192.168.100.1 as the gateway address. When the MBP laptop is connected to the StarLink WiFi, I can enter this address in the browser address field and it brings up the StarLink admin page. However, there is no option to alter Settings, and it directs me to use the iPhone app to do so.

Before I set up the static route on the UDMP to 192.168.100.1, that address was not reachable when typed into the address bar of FireFox running on a MacBook Pro laptop that was using the 192.168.10.1 gateway WiFi.

That's encouraging, but so far I'm lucky to get 1/3 to 1/2 that.

The only obstruction is the pole on which the HughesNet dish is mounted. The 75' cable that came with the StarLink is too short to allow me to elevate the Dishy, so I've got an order in for a 150' one. I've never seen any complaints about obstructions in the OUTAGES log.

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate the effort that went into them. I'll provide an update if/when StarLink tech support gets back to me.
Well, that's great that the networks aren't on top of each other.

The login on the app is supposed to be the Starlink.com login credentials, so what you are experiencing is not right. FWIW: it works on Safari on my phone, but only in non-private mode. You are using the Starlink App to try to log into the Starlink router via the now renamed SSID, right? (I.e. factory reset, setup the local Starlink WiFi, change the phone to the the Starlink WiFi (the new SSID and password), and then in the app use the Starlink.com credentials, right?)

I am concerned that typing 192.168.100.1 into a MBP connected via the UDM Pro doesn't just work. Something isn't configured right. That should just work. How did you define 192.168.10.0/24? The defaults on the UDM Pro (or any router) should forward every packet not on your local network(s) (i.e. not 192.168.10.0) to WAN1. So the fact that the UDM Pro doesn't means something is amiss in the UDM Pro configuration, and the three places that I can think of are the WAN port definitions and the 192.168.10.0 network definition. Have you tried temporarily setting the DNS to point at 192.168.1.1? (It will wipeout functioning on Hughes, but just as a test, it should then pass 192.168.100.1 without a static link.) If that works, that points to a DNS or route (port/network) configuration issue. You do have WAN1 as default, and WAN2 as failover only, right?

I suspect that the DNS configuration is causing timeouts, slowing your network down, but I am just guessing.

All the best,

Peter

LittleBill21

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL, White
dns has nothing to do with routing, dns is not even needed or used when browsing to an ip. this sounds more like a issue with his fail over, it might be defaulting to the hughes side, which is why a static routed is needed etc, but with the unifi only doing 65mbit. i have a feeling he's got a bunch of different issues

as was said. he needs to remove everything, and add one piece at a time, till the problem is found

RedNeckGeek

Tractor
You are using the Starlink App to try to log into the Starlink router via the now renamed SSID, right? (I.e. factory reset, setup the local Starlink WiFi, change the phone to the the Starlink WiFi (the new SSID and password), and then in the app use the Starlink.com credentials, right?)
Yep, that's exactly what I did. Multiple times. And that's with the Ethernet adapter disconnected.
I am concerned that typing 192.168.100.1 into a MBP connected via the UDM Pro doesn't just work. Something isn't configured right. That should just work.
OK, I paused the static route to 192.168.100.1, and now typing 192.168.100.1 into the browser address bar does take me to the StarLink router. I got the idea for the static route from a CrossTalk Solutions YouTube video. But he's using the Gen1 StarLink, so maybe that's the reason it was needed for him.

How did you define 192.168.10.0/24?
Here are the settings for 192.168.10.0/24:
Network Name Default
Router: Office DreamMachine Pro
Gateway IP/Subnet->Host Address: 192.168.10.1
Gateway IP/Subnet->NetMask:24 (249 usable hosts)
Gateway IP: 192.168.10.1
Broadcast IP: 192.168.10.255
Usable ISPs: 249
IP Range: 192.168.10.6 - 192.168.10.254
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Advanced Configuration is stet to Manual:
Network Type: Standard
Content Filtering: None
IGMP Snooping: unchecked
Multicast DNS: unchecked

DHCP:
DHCP Mode: DHCP Server
DHCP Server Range Start: 192.168.10.6
DHSP Server Range Stop: 192.168.10.254
DHCP Guarding: unchecked

DHCP Management:
DHCP DNS Server: Enabled
DNS Server 1: 1.1.1.1
DNS Server 2: 1.0.0.1
DHCP Default Gateway: Auto
DHCP Lease Time: 14400 seconds
Domain Name: localdomain
Custom DHCP Option: None
Option 43 Application Host Address: None
DHCP NTP Server: unchecked
DHCP Network Boot: unchecked
DHCP Time Offset: unchecked
DHCP WPAD URL: None
DHCP TFTP Server: None

IPv6
IPv6 Interface Type: None

The defaults on the UDM Pro (or any router) should forward every packet not on your local network(s) (i.e. not 192.168.10.0) to WAN1. So the fact that the UDM Pro doesn't means something is amiss in the UDM Pro configuration, and the three places that I can think of are the WAN port definitions and the 192.168.10.0 network definition. Have you tried temporarily setting the DNS to point at 192.168.1.1? (It will wipeout functioning on Hughes, but just as a test, it should then pass 192.168.100.1 without a static link.) If that works, that points to a DNS or route (port/network) configuration issue.
WAN1 settings are as follows:
Name: WAN1
Host Device: Office DreamMachine Pro
Interface: Port 9 - WAN
Expected ISP Speeds: Download 100 Mbps, Upload 12 Mbps
Advanced
Set to Auto, and all the settings are grayed out. The only thing that appears to be active is DNS Server, which is set to Auto

WAN2 settings are as follows:
Name: WAN2 FailOver
Host Device: Office Dream Machine Pro
Interface: SFP+ 1 - WAN2
Expected ISP Speeds: Download 10 Mbps, Upload 1 Mbps
Advanced
Set to Manual
The only thing changed is DNS Server, where Auto is unchecked and entries for DNS Server 1: 1.1.1.1
DNS Server 2: 1.0.0.1

IPv4 Connection: DHCPv4
IPv6 Connection: Disabled

You do have WAN1 as default, and WAN2 as failover only, right?
WAN1 is the default WAN, and is where the StarLink modem is attached.
WAN2 is set to Failover Only (the only setting that the UDMP supports.
I suspect that the DNS configuration is causing timeouts, slowing your network down, but I am just guessing.
After disabling the static route and copying all that config info, I used the StarLink app to run another set of speed tests.

From the iPhone to the StarLink Router WiFi:
iPhone->Internet: Down - 167 Mbps, Up - 5 Mbps
StarLink Router->Internet: Down - 154 Mbps, Up - 7 Mbps
iPhone->StarLink Router: Down - 612 Mbps, Up - 296 Mbps

From the iPhone to the nearest Unifi Access Point WiFi:
iPhone->Internet: Down - 51 Mbps, Up - 10 Mbps
StarLink Router->Internet: Down - 130 Mbps, Up - 2 Mbps
iPhone->StarLink Router: Down - 75 Mbps, Up - 49 Mbps

Seems like the bottleneck is with the Unifi network. When I get a chance, I'll run an Ethernet cable to the MBP and see if a wired connection improves things.

Thanks again for your help, Peter!

Last edited:

RedNeckGeek

Tractor
I was able to hook up an Ethernet cable between the Unifi switch and a MacBook Pro via a USB/Ethernet dongle on the MBP.

There is no version of the StarLink app for the MBP that I could find, so I downloaded the Ookla Speedtest app on both the iPhone and MBP and used it instead. Speedtest lets you pick a server, so I used Zeta Broadband in Rancho Murieta, CA for all tests.

Here are the results.

iPhone -> Internet via Ookla Speedtest via Unifi WiFi Access Point
Down 46.4 Mbps, up 4.30 Mbps

iPhone -> Internet via Ookla Speedtest via StarLink Wifi
Down 192 Mbps, up 5.73 Mbps

MBP -> Internet via Ookla Speedtest via Ethernet
Down 73.8 Mbps, up 12.1 Mbps

MBP -> Internet Ookla Speedtest via Unifi WiFi Access Point
Down 59.4 Mbps, up 10.5 Mbps

MBP -> Internet Ookla Speedtest via StarLink WiFi
Down 107 Mbps, Up 7.24 Mbps

In all cases, accessing the internet through the StarLink modem WiFi is the fastest method.

Accessing the internet via Ethernet cable on the MBP is faster than using the Unifi WiFi, but it's way in the dust compared to the iPhone using StarLink Wifi.

A system report on the MBP reveals that the Ethernet is 10/100/1000, so I don't think that's the bottleneck.

The WiFi in the MBP is 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, so I don't think that's the problem, either.

The system report shows the MBP accessing the Unifi WiFi network via 802.11n on channel 48. According to this Intel link, one mode of operation could limit speed to 72.2 Mbps, but I'm beyond my depth trying to understand that information.

I'm using Unifi UAP-AC-Pro access points, which do support 802.11ac.

The same system report shows the MBP accessing the StarLink WiFi network via 802.11ac, which could help to explain the better performance of the StarLink WiFi network.

Did some poking around in the settings for the Unifi AP, and switched it from channel 48 to channel 165. Once re-provisioned, the system report showed the MBP accessing the WiFi 5.0 GHz band using 802.11ac. This was much later in the day, and speeds on both the iPhone and MBP using the Unifi Wifi were down quite a bit from earlier. Switching the MBP back to the StarLink WiFi, speeds were also down, but not by as much. Same deal with the iPhone. So the same basic trends noted above still applied, just at a proportionately lower range of speeds. Ah, the dangers of single point sampling.

Right about now it's Miller time, so if I get a chance tomorrow I'll run another set of tests and see if the results differ. But for now, the StarLink Wifi is still the speed champion by a wide margin.

ponytug

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
@RedNeckGeek That's great progress. The UDM Pro should be running 1Gbit+ in base mode, and at least 400Mbit/s, even with deep packet inspection turned on, so you shouldn't be challenging it.

Is it possible you have a bad Ethernet device on your network that is blasting packets? It is rare, but it happens. Have a look at the usage charts on the UDM Pro and see if you are experiencing high bandwidth; if so, I would drill down to make sure that the bandwidth is legitimate, such as your NAS backing up your spouse's computer, or someone gaming downstairs.

Another thought: Is it possible that the cable between the UDM Pro and the Ethernet adapter is bad/subpar(not Cat6/Cat6A)/kinked? I have seen "good" cables get (badly) bent, and no longer function at full speed. I would also think about getting a bright flashlight and a magnifying glass and checking all four of the contacts (Ethernet adapter, both ends of the cable, and port 9 on the UDM Pro) for any gunk, pin misalignment, or bad height.

Enjoy that Miller!

All the best,

Peter

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
The 75' cable that came with the StarLink is too short to allow me to elevate the Dishy, so I've got an order in for a 150' one. I've never seen any complaints about obstructions in the OUTAGES log.
I ordered the 150' cable when I ordered my Starlink system 18 months ago. The kit arrived in March without the longer cable so I had to install it temporarily with the 75' cable. I just received the shipping notice for the 150' cable yesterday.

Hopefully, your wait won't be as long.

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Well, yes and no. I'm sure they will redesign it for in-motion use to have a lower profile and possibly be able to hold position with gyroscopic stabilizers or something. But even absent that the current dish probably does OK. It's phased array antenna system has the ability to focus in on multiple satellites at once as they are moving. It has dozens of receptors so it can lock on pretty well. I'd suspect it would do better than you think.

But 100% agree that the current 'portability' offering is intended static use in multiple locations, not in-motion use.
Dishy may be able to handle the simple rolling motion of a boat but not necessarily a 180 degree wind / tide shift when at anchor.

I installed my dish is several locations and each time it was moved, it took several minutes to re-adjust. There is also a limited range of motion for the mechanism. It will not rotate a full 360 degrees.

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
I ordered the 150' cable when I ordered my Starlink system 18 months ago. The kit arrived in March without the longer cable so I had to install it temporarily with the 75' cable. I just received the shipping notice for the 150' cable yesterday.

Hopefully, your wait won't be as long.
That doesn't make sense. I'm not sure any orders were even accepted until early 2021. And until Oct/Nov of 2021 Starlink was shipping the first gen round dish with non-removable cable. It wasn't until the rectangular dish came out that the removable cable and 150' optional cable was offered. Plus, Starlink doesn't let you pre-order accessories before you actually place your dish order (a deposit is not an order).

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Dishy may be able to handle the simple rolling motion of a boat but not necessarily a 180 degree wind / tide shift when at anchor.
How big is that antenna? Maybe mount multiple antennas aimed in various directions?

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
How big is that antenna? Maybe mount multiple antennas aimed in various directions?
Not possible with Starlink. The Starlink system includes a phased array dish/antenna with proprietary connectors and needing specific control by the system controller. Starlink will come out with an in-motion setup at some point. They will probably utilize a partial dome phased array so that it can get a very broad view of the sky even while moving/rocking. Just my speculation based on what I know of the current system.

ponytug

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
Not possible with Starlink. The Starlink system includes a phased array dish/antenna with proprietary connectors and needing specific control by the system controller. Starlink will come out with an in-motion setup at some point. They will probably utilize a partial dome phased array so that it can get a very broad view of the sky even while moving/rocking. Just my speculation based on what I know of the current system.
You can lookup the flat plate mobile design(s) that they have filed with the FCC for mobile use.
Then there is the antenna that popped up on the Starship;

Leaving aside the important wind and rain pressure forces on a mobile antenna, I suspect much of the tweaks are actually to the firmware for computing and tracking the satellites. With a home unit, one could assume fixed location, and mostly fixed orientation, with mobile, aviation and marine uses, the algorithms need to be able to converge to stable solutions at high velocities, and fast yaw and pitch rates. I suspect, but don't know that the latter two are the more problematic. When you think about how fast the angle to a satellite changes as degrees per second or radians per second (its velocity and your velocity), and then think about the angular speed of a hard right turn as angular velocity to the satellite, the latter is pretty high. (In degrees or radian per second) Rough seas on a small craft wouldn't be trivial.

I have zero inside knowledge, so this is all a WAG.

Fun to watch.

All the best,

Peter