Starlink

/ Starlink #961  
Used to get about 4 minutes of obstruction in 12 hours. Now down to 4 seconds. The trees did not move. So I assume the dish is now being handed off from one satellite to another to keep the signal.

/ Starlink #962  

Starlink on the move!

/ Starlink #963  
Used to get about 4 minutes of obstruction in 12 hours. Now down to 4 seconds. The trees did not move. So I assume the dish is now being handed off from one satellite to another to keep the signal.
Don't the satellites orbit the same speed as the earth rotates meaning that theory is probably not true? Pretty sure the dish tracks the same satellite constantly.

/ Starlink #964  
They are not geo-stationary. The dish will change sats as needed.

A recent Starlink update did indeed improve the way the system tracks sats and changes between them.

Rob

/ Starlink #966  
Don't the satellites orbit the same speed as the earth rotates meaning that theory is probably not true? Pretty sure the dish tracks the same satellite constantly.

Older satellite internet systems and every satellite TV system I'm aware of use geosynchronous satellite systems. In order to stay stationary over a point on the earth, a geosynchronous satellite must orbit over the equator and at an altitude of 22,236 miles. That is the only orbit altitude and location which will result in the satellite remaining in a fixed position in relation to a point on the earth. One down side is that it take time for the signal to travel to and from the satellite, resulting in a significant lag.

Starlink satellites orbit at about 340 miles. This cuts the lag time tremendously. Since the satellite is constantly moving, it eventually moves out of range, and your dish needs to connect with a new satellite.

/ Starlink #967  
I just bought our retirement home and found out that there is fiber optic running on our road, but it is not connected to the house. The provider wants $150/month for 100Mps download speed. This is the max speed they offer, with the fiber optic cable run to the house. I thought that speed was slow for FO cable. Then I got the quote for installing the cable to the house. Granted my driveway is fairly long, but the quote was $6750.00 to get the cable from the street to my house.
Starlink is looking better and better to me.
In my area of rural Mississippi they ran fiber "trunks" up and down the main rural roads about 12 years ago. I've one property about 2 miles from my house that has the "dark fiber" . But they still have not run fiber in the counties yet. They estimated three years, but that was before Covid 19.

Starlink on the move!
Now THAT's what I need!!

/ Starlink #969  
In my area of rural Mississippi they ran fiber "trunks" up and down the main rural roads about 12 years ago. I've one property about 2 miles from my house that has the "dark fiber" . But they still have not run fiber in the counties yet. They estimated three years, but that was before Covid 19.

Now THAT's what I need!!
Huh? Dark Fiber is fiber not in use, ie, no light on that bad boy as in not functioning. Maybe you have your terms messed up