Starlink

/ Starlink #51  
Time will tell I guess. You would have thought someone putting that much money into a project would have a sense of how long it would take to make his money back. I don't suspect we will know how vastly different it is until it happens. If it's affected by weather like all other satellites then that may be a real problem for people that need a reliable connection. I'm a little biased since I install fiber for a living. As long as you can keep the idiots from cutting it it is as reliable as anything and lightning fast.

I wish the government would step in do something about replacing copper with fiber. Seeing how private industry just cannot seem to roll it out to the masses.

/ Starlink #52  
Time will tell I guess. You would have thought someone putting that much money into a project would have a sense of how long it would take to make his money back. I don't suspect we will know how vastly different it is until it happens. If it's affected by weather like all other satellites then that may be a real problem for people that need a reliable connection. I'm a little biased since I install fiber for a living. As long as you can keep the idiots from cutting it it is as reliable as anything and lightning fast.

I use networks for a living and the best is dark fiber works flawlessly, until it doesn't. Had problem external fiber huts and aerial not to mention buried. Mouse chew thru one pair, had freezing temp damage another, two different trees somebody in the hut disconnecting wrong things and an earthquake. I won't go into all the damage earthquake caused but was months. I did see a demonstration showing theoretically, how Starlink would work and one thing that surprised me was showing the current latency of different fiber paths across the world and in some instances the Starlink was significantly less latency. In one of the paths mid African continent for locations in Europe was a large difference.

/ Starlink #53  
I use networks for a living and the best is dark fiber works flawlessly, until it doesn't. Had problem external fiber huts and aerial not to mention buried. Mouse chew thru one pair, had freezing temp damage another, two different trees somebody in the hut disconnecting wrong things and an earthquake. I won't go into all the damage earthquake caused but was months. I did see a demonstration showing theoretically, how Starlink would work and one thing that surprised me was showing the current latency of different fiber paths across the world and in some instances the Starlink was significantly less latency. In one of the paths mid African continent for locations in Europe was a large difference.

Huh?? You use "Dark Fiber" ?? I'm guessing that is a Typo or something because Dark Fiber is fiber that is not in use or not lit up. There is single mode and multi mode fiber, maybe that's what you meant.

/ Starlink #54  
I wish the government would step in do something about replacing copper with fiber. Seeing how private industry just cannot seem to roll it out to the masses.

It is very expensive, that's what most don't realize. The FED's are involved in the Connect America Project or CAF. Basically they subsidize the Telco's to build out broadband to rural areas. Typically fiber to a remote and then copper to the home with a minimum of 10 gig download. Here's the kicker though. The FED's tell you where to put the device and what homes it will feed. Were not putting in any new copper, just fiber, but we aren't over building the old copper areas with fiber either.

/ Starlink #55  
1/2 mile from fiber at pedestal copper to us and six residents on private road. 0.8-1.5 Meg with lots of jitter and latency...currently paying over $50 per month to Centurylink. Starlink at $80 per month projected would be a real game changer for us all the way around. Currently unable to stream much so big Dish bill, high speed would help with that too!

/ Starlink #56  
Just one of the pitfalls of living rural I guess. I can't get any wired DSL where I live but I'm close enough to a major highway to use the AT&T wireless plan and it typically runs 20 to 40 meg down. Originally had the SIM in a Mobley but have since moved it into a Netgear 4G LTE Modem connected to a Netgear wireless router and it works great.

/ Starlink #57  

I expect the plan is to skip the move to fiber to off earth systems due to cost. The Air Force recently was testing Starlink for their operations. The army wants the troops to have live data to their wrist computer in real time. So far in time Elon Musk typically delivers. Hope things so well for their live payload this Saturday.

/ Starlink #58  
Huh?? You use "Dark Fiber" ?? I'm guessing that is a Typo or something because Dark Fiber is fiber that is not in use or not lit up. There is single mode and multi mode fiber, maybe that's what you meant.

Around here, dark fiber means not managed as in not buying capacity on managed fiber. So it's not used until we plug something into it. Most of the fiber we use and all of the fiber we install is single mode, i think 50micron.

/ Starlink #59  

That would be nice in some ways, yet not the way that the free market system works. If you want all of the benefits of urban life that's the place to be... don't ask everybody else to subsidize your lifestyle.

/ Starlink

Government keeps talking about it but significant actions never happen. Private industry can't do it because it costs too much in rural areas.