Starlink

/ Starlink #61  
I wish the government would step in do something about replacing copper with fiber. Seeing how private industry just cannot seem to roll it out to the masses.

They did CAF2 here and put a mini dslam closer to me. I was initially told that my speed would increase. Eventually they told me that my speed would not increase. The tech claimed that the larger dslam was not fed by fiber and nobody knew that until the project was complete. I don't buy that any organization could be that incompetent though. It looks like Centurylink got money from the government without any improvements. Maybe it was just to stimulate somebody's wallet.

/ Starlink #62  
That would be nice in some ways, yet not the way that the free market system works. If you want all of the benefits of urban life that's the place to be... don't ask everybody else to subsidize your lifestyle.

Yeah... heard that position many times over the years.

I am not asking for a subsidized lifestyle. I am asking for high speed internet connectivity. Consistent with technology advancements.

/ Starlink #63  
This is no different than rural water or sewer's. No one wants to pay for it but everyone wants the benefits and someone else to pay for it.

/ Starlink #64  
They did CAF2 here and put a mini dslam closer to me. I was initially told that my speed would increase. Eventually they told me that my speed would not increase. The tech claimed that the larger dslam was not fed by fiber and nobody knew that until the project was complete. I don't buy that any organization could be that incompetent though. It looks like Centurylink got money from the government without any improvements. Maybe it was just to stimulate somebody's wallet.

CAF requirements are a minimum 10 meg down. Not all CAF DSLAM's are fiber fed but the 10 meg requirement is still there. Info below

Connect America Fund Phase II FAQS | Federal Communications Commission

/ Starlink #65  
This is no different than rural water or sewer's. No one wants to pay for it but everyone wants the benefits and someone else to pay for it.

Hardly. I can do my own water, I can do my own sewer, I cannot tap into a fiber link. Well, I theoretically could but a whole lot of people would not be pleased with that.

/ Starlink #66  
If you google rural broadband subsidies, there are lots of articles on the topic. The bottom line seems to be the federal govt gives out a lot of money in subsidies but it vanishes without a trace. For decades there were subsidies for rural telephone service and rural electrification, those programs I think worked pretty well for the time they were needed.

/ Starlink #67  
If you google rural broadband subsidies, there are lots of articles on the topic. The bottom line seems to be the federal govt gives out a lot of money in subsidies but it vanishes without a trace. For decades there were subsidies for rural telephone service and rural electrification, those programs I think worked pretty well for the time they were needed.

Agree, we need another innovative government program that leads to the breakup of the Bell System it will create. Somewhat..LOL.

/ Starlink
The bottom line seems to be the federal govt gives out a lot of money in subsidies but it vanishes without a trace.

Truer words were never spoken. :drink: The government's standard "action" is to throw taxpayer money at a problem then claim problem solved. Bureaucrats get atta boy, ISPs get rich, and John Q. Public gets zip. Starlink is a private endeavor so hopefully John Q. Public will get real broadband.

/ Starlink #69  
I think the last thing anyone would want is a Government regulated Program for broadband. It's not regulated now and God help us if it ever is. There seems to be a lot of myth's and inconsistencies posted on this thread. I would suggest everyone educate themselves on what ISP's are and are not required to do. The CAF project is designed to get HSI to people that in the past haven't been able to get it before or to upgrade current infrastructure. It isn't designed to get fiber and 1 gig speeds to every Podunk town and home in Rural America. If you need those things then it would be a good idea to move or wait for StarLink. I hope StarLink is a success. Then maybe everyone will quit bitching about this provider or that provider. You should have really thought these things through before you moved, I know I did. But then again, what's important to some isn't important at all to other's.

/ Starlink #70  

I can tell you first hand the money doesn't disappear without a trace. Why would you say that without first hand knowledge. Oh yeah, this is the internet, you can say whatever you want without any facts or consequences. I see the CAF Projects going on here all the time.