Starlink

/ Starlink #951  
I'm really cautious about this starlink company. I'm wondering if people sign up only to have the rug yanked out from under their feet. Don't get me wrong....I think we need more options and a better system and maybe this is in the right direction. I hope it works out for years to come, but, it didn't for some solar panel customers:

Tesla hikes solar roof price on contracts signed over a year ago - Electrek

/ Starlink
I'm really cautious about this starlink company. I'm wondering if people sign up only to have the rug yanked out from under their feet.
There are many folks who share your caution. For them it would be prudent to wait for Starlink's transition from beta to business before making a financial commitment.

/ Starlink #953  
Caution and prudence is warranted, especially if you are trying to switch to it as a primary ISP. It's not ready to be considered a bullet-proof primary ISP with high uptime quite yet. But it is showing tons of potential.

As someone living in a rural area and needing to work from home I always have two ISPs. Having one of them be a slightly disrupted source of 100-200Mb/s unlimited data sure is a benefit and is worth it to me. I can leave my LTE-based modem with 30-80Mb/s and theoretically data-limited as my primary. Starlink will replace my previous backup, a sub-5Mb/s DSL connection and do so at the same monthly cost. In 6-9 months when it moves from beta to full production offering I'll be sitting in such a better place than we were in in early 2016 when the DSL line (then lucky if I got 1.5-3Mb/s reliably) was our only ISP.

Take it for what it is currently and you'll be happy. Expect too much right away and you'll be sad.

Rob

/ Starlink #954  
If I had unlimited funds, I would add satellite internet to my home. Right now I'm happy as can be with FIOS. If I want to pay for it, I can get 1 gb service, but 100 mb works fine. If we have a big wind or ice storm, I expect the fiber to go down for some time, and that's my only communication here. There's no cell service and the decaying copper phone line was down more than it was up, so we switched to VOIP for telephone.

I suspect the satellites will go down during solar flares. They will probably have to shut them down to avoid circuit damage. I had the old Geosynchronous satellite internet before DSL was available here. It was OK for streaming, but the speed of light made browsing handshakes frustrating. Starlink promises to do better.

/ Starlink #955  
I opened my starlink app, it now has setup option. Last time I checked i don’t remember seeing that. Does that mean it’s coming??

/ Starlink #956  
I opened my starlink app, it now has setup option. Last time I checked i don’t remember seeing that. Does that mean it’s coming??

I don't think so. I think mine always had it. How long have you had the app? Maybe you just got an update and they changed things in an update.

Rob

/ Starlink #958  
Hey, I can't be 100% sure. I didn't have the app long before I ordered my system. Do either of you have one on order or just waiting list?

/ Starlink #959  
Mines been ordered since February. The app used to only let me check the sky. I made a comment about it once, thinking what a waste of an app. Now there’s much more.
Didn’t see any update when I logged into my account.

/ Starlink #960  
You paid the full $500+ for your order or $99? If you paid the full amount that's a long time to ship. Mine took 4 weeks and I ordered 2/16. But if you only paid for a pre-order there is no 'average time' for that to turn into an order.