Starlink

/ Starlink #1,371  
So...my next question what to do about the starlink router, where it will come into the house will provide excellent coverage, but the lack of a firewall should i be worried? what optional equipment do you recommend with the router they give. i appreciate it.
I have the same question. Can I just plug the dish output into my existing router and not use the one from Starlink?

/ Starlink #1,372  
I have the same question. Can I just plug the dish output into my existing router and not use the one from Starlink?
  1. Install your Starlink dish normally.
  2. Connect the power-brick to the (black) ethernet cable from your dish.
  3. Either plug in the white ethernet cable, or your own ethernet cable, to the other side of the power-brick, and plug the other end into your router.
  4. If it's not already setup that way, set your router's WAN connection to DHCP.
  5. Worry a little bit, because the light on the power brick that goes between your router and the power brick doesn't come on. But then stop worrying, because everything just works.
What works:

• The internet.
What doesn't seem to work:

• Accessing your Starlink dish/device through the app.
I'm not sure if this is/will be an issue, but it looks like at least right now, either my network setup or the design of the system itself is preventing me from accessing the Starlink dish from the app. I've reached out to support to see if this is due to the settings on my local network (port forwarding or similar) or if it's the way the system is designed.

Oh, and just for fun, here are the results my last pre-Starlink speedtest, and my first two Starlink speedtests.

EDIT: Just adding the response I got from StarLink support:

Currently the Starlink App is only accessible through the use of the Starlink router provided in your kit.
Other than not being able to use the features on the Starlink app, such as the Obstruction Viewer, we do not foresee any issues with the use of your personal device.

/ Starlink #1,373  
FWIW: You can get the Starlink statistics without using their router, if you program in a static route to 192.168.100.1 on your router. There are more than a few how tos out there.

@LittleBill21 I am glad that your quad NAT is working for you. My point was, and is, that for optimal performance multiple NATs aren't desirable.

Enjoy your Starlink!

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,374  
So...my next question what to do about the starlink router, where it will come into the house will provide excellent coverage, but the lack of a firewall should i be worried? what optional equipment do you recommend with the router they give. i appreciate it.
Really all most home users need is NAT. Not perfect, but it's the most usable & gets the job done preventing random stuff on the Internet getting into your home gear.

I've got 5-10k worth of high end enterprise firewalls I'm a rack in my basement. I rarely end up using most of the features on them beyond NAT. Of when I do its because my home network is super over engineered.

The built in NAT & firewall on the Starlink terminal should be fine. It's likely all I'll use when traveling whenever we get one & can attach it to the travel trailer & get mobile service.

/ Starlink #1,375  
Boy, I'm old school and I'm lost on what you guys are talking about, I can turn computer on . Anyplace I can learn what you are talking about?
I'm sure many of us are happy to answer specific questions.

Meanwhile, for starters, if you're getting your downloads over phone wires like me, then you're getting under one megabit per second (Mbps) downloads. A picture from your phone is about 5 mega-BYTES, and there's 8 bits in a byte, so to download a 5 megabyte picture, that's 5 megabytes, * 8 = 40 megabits, and so your 1 Mbps download speed, will take 40 seconds to download 40 megabits.\

These guys talking about Starlink speeds are talking megabit numbers, e.g. 100 Mbps, so downloads could be 100 times faster.

Note that little b, 'b', is generally referring to bits, and capital B, 'B', is generally referring to bytes, in speed speek. So 1MBps is == 8Mbps. More or less.

/ Starlink #1,376  

I'm not sure if this is/will be an issue, but it looks like at least right now, either my network setup or the design of the system itself is preventing me from accessing the Starlink dish from the app. I've reached out to support to see if this is due to the settings on my local network (port forwarding or similar) or if it's the way the system is designed.
If your own router supports static routes or complies with DHCP 'option 121' then the stats and app will work behind it. The former requires you to set up the route (as another response here notes) the latter would just work.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,377  
  1. Install your Starlink dish normally.
  2. Connect the power-brick to the (black) ethernet cable from your dish.
  3. Either plug in the white ethernet cable, or your own ethernet cable, to the other side of the power-brick, and plug the other end into your router.
  4. If it's not already setup that way, set your router's WAN connection to DHCP.
  5. Worry a little bit, because the light on the power brick that goes between your router and the power brick doesn't come on. But then stop worrying, because everything just works.
What works:

• The internet.

Oh, and just for fun, here are the results my last pre-Starlink speedtest, and my first two Starlink speedtests.

EDIT: Just adding the response I got from StarLink support:
What part of PA do you live in and when did you get your starlink. I'm in west central PA and waiting. Have not seen many from PA that have gotten starlink.