Starlink

/ Starlink #2,281  
Glad its working out if it ever doesn't lol I would be glad to take over your account and dish, We are still in the holding pattern of mid 2022, not sure when that will get pushed back.....
I read somewhere that Starlink will permit this, depending on location. You might be far enough west of my location to be in a different cell though.

I'll definitely let you know if I do decide to give up the service. It will likely be a month or two before I make a decision. Right now, I'm looking at ways to save $$ on my satellite TV bill by using streaming services. I would use the savings to offset the higher Starlink service cost. If that works out, I may need the faster Starlink speeds.

FWIW, earlier this year, I received an email from Starlink saying my delivery date had been pushed back to mid to late 2022. About 3 weeks later, the equipment was shipped! It appears these service date estimates are changing and not always accurate. Hopefully, yours will ship sooner than the estimate as well.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #2,282  
I just found out yesterday that a location about 3 miles from me had received their Starlink dishes. About 6 families in that location got theirs the same day, so I'm hoping soon

/ Starlink #2,283  
@ernemats Good luck!

Even without the Ethernet adapter, it has made the difference we hoped it would. Our antenna location has been obstruction free, and the outages so far have been limited to a few system updates (I think) at three am for a couple of minutes and a few outages due to "Network issues" that last a couple of seconds.

My wife no longer has WFH bandwidth issues, and file transfers no longer take hours.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Starlink #2,284  
I read somewhere that Starlink will permit this, depending on location. You might be far enough west of my location to be in a different cell though.

I'll definitely let you know if I do decide to give up the service. It will likely be a month or two before I make a decision. Right now, I'm looking at ways to save $$ on my satellite TV bill by using streaming services. I would use the savings to offset the higher Starlink service cost. If that works out, I may need the faster Starlink speeds.

FWIW, earlier this year, I received an email from Starlink saying my delivery date had been pushed back to mid to late 2022. About 3 weeks later, the equipment was shipped! It appears these service date estimates are changing and not always accurate. Hopefully, yours will ship sooner than the estimate as well.
IM definitely out of your grid, but I wasnt sure if they allowed out of grid moves, I saw on a few reddit forums that they were allowing transfers. Appreciate it!!.

/ Starlink #2,285  
Ditto on the Verizon throttles. When I was on their plans the throughput was so slow, it was unusable.

I could tell what day it would happen just by watching my data usage.
And then Verizon is so kind to offer additional high speed data at $15 a GB. ;)

/ Starlink #2,287  
   / Starlink
#2,288  
That's because there is no 'temporary pause' with the Starlink service. You can cancel service at any time but if/when you want to re-establish service you are subject to then-current availability in your cell.
The words "temporarily pause" were copied from that article. You are correct, it really means to cancel service.

/ Starlink #2,290  
I'm north of Vernon BC and was able to order Starlink along with an ethernet adapter(for the new Gen 2 equipment) March 22. It was scheduled to ship April 1 to April 7. I canceled the order today and will reapply when I get get my refund.

I'm on cellular service from a tower 30 km away. The signal (using dual yagiREF2 antennae) was great until December 2020 when it abruptly went from -92 dBm to -119. It has remained that way since. I tried several times to get past the "Help Desk" call centre to 2nd-level support but no such luck. Our downloads of around 15 to 20 Mbps was acceptable but the upload speed of 200 kbps made it difficult to send anything with photos, etc. I checked the connection every month or so the over the last two years with it always showing around -119 dBm with the usual acceptable 15+ Mbps download and poor 200 Kbps upload speeds.

So yesterday I decided to check the signal. It is now steady at -92 dBm with uploads averaging around 15 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up on LTE and 45 Mbps down and 11 Mbps up with on 4G. I think the LTE/4G switching is due to the service changing between the 700 MHz band and higher bands. I don't know anything about this but that is what a 2nd-level person told me the one time in December 2015. That resulted in my installing the yagi antennae.

Since my testing has been on the weekend I would have preferred to wait until the business day tomorrow to see if service degrades due to higher traffic. But I canceled anyway to be sure they did not ship the equipment and I'd have to ship it back. I'm impressed with Starlink's procedures. As soon as I canceled the account I got three emails stating they have submitted refund for the original deposit, the Starlink equipment and ethernet adapter. When those show up I'll re-order to get back on the waiting list, just in case the cell service reverts to a poor signal.

Starlink is a much better option from a speed point of view but our existing service more than meets our requirements(in our late '70's). My main concerns with Starlink was the likely long downtime to get new equipment should some component fail, the work installing it, and the higher power requirements(including heating in winter). My existing internet will operate for hours during a power outage. That lets us check BC Hydro's Outage System to see if it has been reported and to get and idea when it will be back on. Even with Starlink I was planning to keep a "bare bones" cellular plan at $10 month as a backup(we don't have data cell phone plans).

Regardless, I'll reapply for Starlink again to keep that option open.