Starlink

/ Starlink #2,442  
I got the same email. Sounds like those of us on the wait list are gonna get shafted.
IT sounds to me as though if you are willing to accept the slower speeds during peak usage in wait listed areas, you could order an RV system now and set it up on your home. IT's worth asking Starlink what the process is if you order an "RV system" now and later want to switch it over to "home service" when that becomes available in your area.

/ Starlink #2,443  
What happens if a zone, that is not available yet, is oversold with the rv systems. Then when the infrastructure is in place to open the zone will we get degraded performance because more systems are on it than it was designed for or are we forced to wait longer because of the rv sales.
Its getting very close to fraud or at least very misleading agreements.

/ Starlink #2,444  
I got the same email. Sounds like those of us on the wait list are gonna get shafted.
Kinda my thoughts on this as well. I've been on the waitlist since last July for my location. Was supposed to receive it last fall, then spring of 22 now states mid-22. Have a feeling it will go to 23 without any notice at this point. However, the longer it takes Starlink to deliver the better my chances of getting this fiber extended down my gravel road to my driveway I imagine?

However, if I order the RV version it will ship today? What makes RV's a higher priority than someone that's been waiting 10+ months? Oh, I know, the additional $25 a month they get for the RV version and the inability to switch it to a 'home' version once received to save those $25.

/ Starlink #2,445  
What happens if a zone, that is not available yet, is oversold with the rv systems. Then when the infrastructure is in place to open the zone will we get degraded performance because more systems are on it than it was designed for or are we forced to wait longer because of the rv sales.
Its getting very close to fraud or at least very misleading agreements.
I imagine Starlink will impose throttling or time per location restrictions on this RV service if too many customers attempt to install these systems for home use.

/ Starlink #2,446  
Everyone keeps talking about more satellites getting launched and that means more areas will be opened up.
Those same satellites that are providing service in one area are also orbiting over vast areas without service.
The problem is the lack of ground based infrastructure to support It. Without that a zillion satellites would be useless.

/ Starlink #2,447  
Everyone keeps talking about more satellites getting launched and that means more areas will be opened up.
Those same satellites that are providing service in one area are also orbiting over vast areas without service.
The problem is the lack of ground based infrastructure to support It. Without that a zillion satellites would be useless.
New birds have the laser crosslink hardware on them. Current birds must be able to view the ground station & user terminal at the same time. Once the crosslink stuff comes online at scale a bird only needs to see your terminal. It can then forward the traffic to another bird with an avalible ground station.

So merely getting the new birds online will get significantly more usable coverage compared to the old ones.

The crosslink link stuff will be required to get coverage for planes, boats or remote landmass as those don't have any avalible ground stations nearby.

/ Starlink #2,448  
Are you sure about that? Have you seen an announcement to that effect? My understanding is that 'portability' is for users to take their dish to a location other than their designated service address and use it there in a static fashion. The in-motion capability for use on a moving vehicle (i.e. moving camper or boat) is not yet live. It's in the works, for sure, but I don't think the $25/mo 'portability' is intended for in-motion use.

The Starlink dish will have to be redesigned for it to work on a boat unless tied up at a marina. When under way, the existing dish will not react to rocking motion or pivoting when at anchor due to wind & tide.
People are already using Starlink on boats, not just at anchor or tied to a dock. It is not supported but it works.

The physical antennae is not trying to adjust it's orientation as long as the boat is maintaining its heading. The reports are that the antennae does not move unless there is a drastic course change. Just the usual course movements are not causing Dishy to move, the arrays are handling the boat movement just fine. Starlink has been planning to have support for planes, boats, trains, and vehicles. I would have thought that Dishy would need a gimbal mount for boats but that is not what users are reporting.

/ Starlink #2,449  
New birds have the laser crosslink hardware on them. Current birds must be able to view the ground station & user terminal at the same time. Once the crosslink stuff comes online at scale a bird only needs to see your terminal. It can then forward the traffic to another bird with an avalible ground station.

So merely getting the new birds online will get significantly more usable coverage compared to the old ones.

The crosslink link stuff will be required to get coverage for planes, boats or remote landmass as those don't have any avalible ground stations nearby.

Seems like that would increase latency. Maybe not enough to matter.
But the hold up still isn’t the amount of satellites but ground infrastructure.