Starlink

/ Starlink #3,961  
Amazon has various Eero touters on sale Cyber Monday
Been happy with mine.

SL shifted Dishy from 1° to 75° azimuth and 56° elevation from more flat.

/ Starlink #3,962  
Finally got 5 hours of data...we are unobstructed! Glad the work of putting it up there at least solved that problem.

Thanks for the reminder about cyber Monday.

/ Starlink #3,963  
Says it is burial rated.

View attachment 833936

Our whole electric system has a surge protector/conditioner on it. I know that does not cover the ethernet. I'll have to take a look at that. Right now, my lightning diversion is having a lot of trees that are taller than our buildings. Haha
That is great that it is burial rated.

Whole house surge protectors are great, but the quality surge protector strips and outlet protectors have tighter voltage ranges, that can further limit the surge voltage. I think both are necessary in a modern house. I have pretty much anything with electronics in it on a surge protector strip, in addition to the whole house. (Belt and suspenders perhaps, but it beats the pants off running around after a big surge getting new equipment on short notice in my book.)

Tall trees work both ways; they pick up the bolt, so you don't have a direct hit, but it means that there is an EMP pulse nearby. I think that there isn't a universal solution or we would all be doing it.

Overall, it sounds great.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,965  
   / Starlink #3,967  
More weaponizing of our government.

"Starlink failed to show it could meet its obligations to provide high-speed internet service to enough rural areas"

That could be the single most idiotic determination every made. Starlink has proved beyond doubt that it can provide speedy, reliable internet anywhere there is power and a view of the sky. But with the government we have the level of stupid doesn't surprise me.

/ Starlink #3,968  
I think that this has been brewing for a long time.

I think that the underlying issue that the FCC is moving the definition of broadband to a minimum of 100Mbits/s down and 25Mbits/s. Starlink's somewhat variable performance up and down would not meet the emerging definition.

Starlink has made no attestations to the FCC that it could deliver a minimum of 100/20Mbits/s that I am aware of.

Even a Starlink business account is stated to be just 40+Mbits/s down and 8-25Mbits/s up.

Don't get me wrong, I love having Starlink, but the delivered performance is much less than the FCC is aiming to get delivered to rural and other underserved areas.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,969  
I think that this has been brewing for a long time.

I think that the underlying issue that the FCC is moving the definition of broadband to a minimum of 100Mbits/s down and 25Mbits/s. Starlink's somewhat variable performance up and down would not meet the emerging definition.

Starlink has made no attestations to the FCC that it could deliver a minimum of 100/20Mbits/s that I am aware of.

Even a Starlink business account is stated to be just 40+Mbits/s down and 8-25Mbits/s up.

Don't get me wrong, I love having Starlink, but the delivered performance is much less than the FCC is aiming to get delivered to rural and other underserved areas.

All the best,

Peter
This has been brewing ever since the administration gave the green light to go after Musk after his purchase of twitter.

SpaceX is being charged with incinerating 7 bobwhite quail eggs by the US fish and wildlife during their rocket explosion. Weaponizing government.

Where I live 30MB down ”was” the best that could be had it was $175/month just in 2021. That was before starlink, now somehow that same 30MB is $85 a month….

/ Starlink #3,970  
This has been brewing ever since the administration gave the green light to go after Musk after his purchase of twitter.

SpaceX is being charged with incinerating 7 bobwhite quail eggs by the US fish and wildlife during their rocket explosion. Weaponizing government.

Where I live 30MB down ”was” the best that could be had it was $175/month just in 2021. That was before starlink, now somehow that same 30MB is $85 a month….
Actually the FCC move to define broadband as 100/25 started back in 2014, and therefore greatly predates the Twitter acquisition. You might want to check your details before posting.

While I am sure that Elon did not blow up the SpaceX rocket to break a few quail eggs, I would suggest that it might fall under the general concept of needing to pay for damaging other people's property and the environment for which there are, yes, a few rules and laws. Just as a reminder, BP paid $4.5B in fines and over $65B in clean up for the Deepwater Horizon spill in the Gulf.
All the best,

Peter