Steam pot

/ Steam pot #1  

tjkubota93

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota bx1860
A gift the inlaws got us that I really like. But the bottom leaves white residue (calcium, minerals?) On top of the stove like it has a couple tiny leaks maybe from a porous casting or inclusion?

So my question is, is there a way to seal these couple of tiny leaks without grinding and welding?

It works anyway, so if it isn't repairable I will just keep as is.

It's like the one in the amazon pic, just a different color. Came from local hardware store. 20181115_230108.jpegScreenshot_20181116-193054_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

/ Steam pot #2  
I would start down the road to correction by putting the pot on a trivet and see if that helps. We had a steam pot that did the same thing. It was from water collecting on the bottom when we filled the pot and then set it directly on the pellet stove. The trivet solved the problem.

/ Steam pot
I am 100% sure it's not from filling it. The trivet may work because it would evaporate before getting on the stove. Now it makes a couple big white marks.

I was hoping there would be something heat and water resistant I could coat the inside with to seal hit

/ Steam pot #4  
Hey - I understand - big white marks won't look any better on your beautiful LOPI than they did on our LOPI. Ours did not have the chrome trim on the door - just black paint.

You might look for the coating used to fix small leaks in gas tanks. You pour it in - swirl to get total coating and let it dry. Its gasoline resistant - should be water resistant. Should be able to find at O'Reileys - Napa - etc.

/ Steam pot #6  
steam condensation running down the spout?

/ Steam pot
Hey - I understand - big white marks won't look any better on your beautiful LOPI than they did on our LOPI. Ours did not have the chrome trim on the door - just black paint.

You might look for the coating used to fix small leaks in gas tanks. You pour it in - swirl to get total coating and let it dry. Its gasoline resistant - should be water resistant. Should be able to find at O'Reileys - Napa - etc.
I was thinking radiator stop leak. Certain types are made from ground ginger. I guess that couldn't hurt anything.

/ Steam pot #10  
A gift the inlaws got us that I really like. But the bottom leaves white residue (calcium, minerals?) On top of the stove like it has a couple tiny leaks maybe from a porous casting or inclusion?

So my question is, is there a way to seal these couple of tiny leaks without grinding and welding?

It works anyway, so if it isn't repairable I will just keep as is.

It's like the one in the amazon pic, just a different color. Came from local hardware store.View attachment 579223View attachment 579244

Maybe it's from when you fill it and all you need to do is to wipe it off with a wash cloth? If you have a pin hole leak, I'm betting that as you use it, the Calcium will eventually plug it up. I remember Grandma's old kettle; she put a marble in it to keep it from bumping and it gathered up a lot of the calcium and grew quite large. A good "bump" could possible poop a little water out the spout too.