Steam pot

/ Steam pot #11  
Maybe it's from when you fill it and all you need to do is to wipe it off with a wash cloth? If you have a pin hole leak, I'm betting that as you use it, the Calcium will eventually plug it up. I remember Grandma's old kettle; she put a marble in it to keep it from bumping and it gathered up a lot of the calcium and grew quite large. A good "bump" could possible poop a little water out the spout too.

I would wager that the marble that Grandma used was made of actual marble.

I tried that 'trick' with a cast-iron kettle on my wood heater... the glass marble that I used eventually shattered. Antique shops may be a source for an actual 'marble' made of marble.

/ Steam pot
Maybe it's from when you fill it and all you need to do is to wipe it off with a wash cloth? If you have a pin hole leak, I'm betting that as you use it, the Calcium will eventually plug it up. I remember Grandma's old kettle; she put a marble in it to keep it from bumping and it gathered up a lot of the calcium and grew quite large. A good "bump" could possible poop a little water out the spout too.
Yeah I was hoping calcium or corrosion would take care of it for me.

I have been either not dripping or wiping it up. It generally doesn't bump. To get a good boil it has to be 110* in the den!

I'm 100% sure I have 2 pinhole leaks.

I dumped some of the wifes ground ginger in there hoping for a seal.

Been wondering about a chunk of beeswax put in a really hot dry kettle.

/ Steam pot
Top of stove, front of kettle, bottom of kettle. 20181117_205400.jpeg20181117_205420.jpeg20181117_205434.jpeg

/ Steam pot
I would wager that the marble that Grandma used was made of actual marble.

I tried that 'trick' with a cast-iron kettle on my wood heater... the glass marble that I used eventually shattered. Antique shops may be a source for an actual 'marble' made of marble.
If you need it I can send you a marble tile scrap. It's not round though.

/ Steam pot #16  
Y'know, that's not a bad idea! No one said that the 'marble' had to be round... i just assumed so due to 'marbles' vs. 'alleys'.

Blinkers "off".

Grandma's marble more than likely was a ceramic...or "clay" marble. There were a lot of those around in those days.

/ Steam pot
The ground ginger plugged the 2 leaks in question. Then some more happened. So much for a quality casting....

So I finally bought a trivet, as recommended by oosik.

Its a cool one. CSA commemorative brass.