Stump Chipper

/ Stump Chipper #81  
Mr. JCoastie, based on your initial use, what are you finding your average time for grinding - let's say an 18 to 20 inch diameter stump?

Mostly Southern pine here ... if it's a fresh stump of that size, it can take upwards of 15 minutes. If it it's old and dry, it could be under 5 minutes.

Oak and some other varieties here can be a real bear and take upwards of 20 minutes. Almost all of mine are on a hillside so I have some extra grinding to do to get the change in elevation right so that my bushhog will not dig in and get a stump strike later at some point.

/ Stump Chipper #82  
damn zerk broke clean off when I removed the grease gun on the bearing closest to the PTO. That was a 4 hour delay to get the old one out, and a trip to town to get a replacement from TSC. Be careful with that one. It's an M6x1.0 zerk.

Harbor Freight sells boxes of zerk fittings for about $6. I replaced several 45 degree fittings on my older attachments. The 45s are two-piece in most cases so I didn't have to use up the few 45s in the HF package... I could just replace the tip which screwed onto the the 45 degree base. The base is screwed into the attachment.

let's see if the HF cheapies last very well.