Stump Chipper

/ Stump Chipper #2  
This will do the job of grinding the stump down. Looks like by design, its depth limited to grinding about 3 " below ground. I not heard of this brand before, but I have seen similar ones to this working, and you definitely need the visibility of a small HST tractor to use this stump grinder. Pricing looks favorable, but you might inquire as to cost of an extra set grinding teeth. This design goes through the grinding teeth fast.

/ Stump Chipper
I’m trying to do my homework on it, it doesn’t come with a pro shaft but maybe I can use one from my brush cutter.
My tractor is hydrostatic.

/ Stump Chipper #4  
I'd be looking at the Woodland mills grinder, it's a bit more money, but it looks to be better built than that one and comes complete, ready to go...

I have one, and I don't use it on a tractor with the whiner transmission, my tractor is gear drive with creep gears...

standard.jpg

I ground 32 stumps with it the other day...

SR

/ Stump Chipper #5  
Just wondering if anyone has purchased one of these A-Fab stump chippers and what your thoughts might be, would you buy again or a better brand? Is it worth the cost?
New A-Fab Inc. Stump Chipper - YouTube
Tree Stump Chipper, Grinder, Remover, Shredder, Mulcher Tractor Three Point PTO | eBay

Firstly, I have not purchased the A-Fab machine, nor am I likely to. I am shopping for a stump grinder having dug out stumps with a BH, but the A-Fab links wave several red flags.

The A-Fab does not have a pivot to allow the blade to tip should the operator take too deep a bite or move forward too fast.

The absence of any reactive movement of the A-Fab vs. videos of the Woodland Mills, Bumalight indicates the the depth of cut must be very small. (Could one tether a belt sander atop a stump, sit down, and sip one's favorite beverage for a more satisfactory experience?)

The machine does not come with a PTO shaft. The required Cat IV, recommended slip-clutch shaft could put the cost up with the Woodland Mills machine.

"The cutting knives must be kept sharp. Dull knives are inefficient and dangerous to use. The design of the unit easily facilitates knife removal and they are easily sharpened and replacements are readily available on E-Bay or other tractor/lawn & garden dealers." No hits on 2 pages with Google "Knives for A-Fab stump grinder"; when I added "e-bay" to the search, the pages I viewed showed Rayco, Greentooth, and other machines, nothing for A-Fab.

"Clear stump of all surrounding soil, several inches deeper than the desired finish height. Clear area of all obstructions to facilitate smooth travel for the tractor." Sounds like "dig the stump out."

Content, grammatical errors, and ambiguous wording in the copy indicates off-shore origin and dubious support.

/ Stump Chipper
Firstly, I have not purchased the A-Fab machine, nor am I likely to. I am shopping for a stump grinder having dug out stumps with a BH, but the A-Fab links wave several red flags.

The A-Fab does not have a pivot to allow the blade to tip should the operator take too deep a bite or move forward too fast.

The absence of any reactive movement of the A-Fab vs. videos of the Woodland Mills, Bumalight indicates the the depth of cut must be very small. (Could one tether a belt sander atop a stump, sit down, and sip one's favorite beverage for a more satisfactory experience?)

The machine does not come with a PTO shaft. The required Cat IV, recommended slip-clutch shaft could put the cost up with the Woodland Mills machine.

"The cutting knives must be kept sharp. Dull knives are inefficient and dangerous to use. The design of the unit easily facilitates knife removal and they are easily sharpened and replacements are readily available on E-Bay or other tractor/lawn & garden dealers." No hits on 2 pages with Google "Knives for A-Fab stump grinder"; when I added "e-bay" to the search, the pages I viewed showed Rayco, Greentooth, and other machines, nothing for A-Fab.

"Clear stump of all surrounding soil, several inches deeper than the desired finish height. Clear area of all obstructions to facilitate smooth travel for the tractor." Sounds like "dig the stump out."

Content, grammatical errors, and ambiguous wording in the copy indicates off-shore origin and dubious support.

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

/ Stump Chipper
Both Bumalight and Woodland seem to be about the same, has anyone compared the 2 or purchased the one instead of the other?

/ Stump Chipper #8  
Both Bumalight and Woodland seem to be about the same, has anyone compared the 2 or purchased the one instead of the other?

In a previous thread poster noted Woodland Mills machine was slightly heavier, something the poster considered a plus. Woodland Mills has had many favorable comments.

/ Stump Chipper #9  

From what I've seen they are almost identical. I personally have the Bumalight 1P24 and use it with my NX50. It works pretty well. Would I rather have had the 3P24 for the boom swing? Yes, most definitely, but I didn't see the 3k price jump as justifiable for personal usage. Went with the Bumalight solely due to lead time. The WM had a 6 week lead time on it and I could get the Bumalight delivered to my work in 3 days.

I've done close to 50 stumps at my place alone varying from older ash/maple to fresh cut walnut (didn't want to take that one down). From what I can tell the inserts/teeth are just as sharp as they were when I started.

Looking at the one in the OP's post....no way would I purchase that one. Add in a couple hundred bucks for the PTO shaft and you're within $500 of the WM or Bumalight stump grinders. The difference in build quality is well worth that $500 IMO. Granted I've never seen the OP's links in person, it just looks really, really cheap.

/ Stump Chipper #10  
One rock hit and those knifes will be dull....