Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24?

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #191  
I continue to be very pleased with my Woodland Mills WG24 Stump Grinder.
Learning curve is not steep. Only issue is having to twist around to look back while running it.
I'm impressed with how much I'm able to get done using this machine.
It has easily paid for itself already.

Same here. Some day I'm gonna install a camera, however.

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #192  
I have a Kubota L3560 DT it has a shuttle transmission with a clutch. The WG24 works great but a little clutch feathering is necessary without a HST transmission or a very slow creep gear. I put my FEL in float position and curl back and forth to avoid slipping the clutch to much. Then reset the tractor and repeat. the average 20" pine stump takes me about 15 min from 6" above to 6" below grade. It works good for me and so far the teeth have held up great after 40 or so stumps. Its not as fast as some grinders out there but at this price point its hard to beat and having it ready whenever I have the time to grind a few is worth any inconvenience of not having a hydraulic head. Especially since I have 500 or so stumps waiting.. I didn't see much info on using this stump grinder with a manual type transmission so I thought I would post my experience. It weighs around 450lbs and looks/feels solid with grease zerks where needed.

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #193  
Unboxing my new toy. This thing sure looks beefy. Being a welder in the past I am quite disappointed in the quality control of the welds as shown. I’m going to have to grind this out and reweld it. Too bad this didn’t come with touch up paint. Working on getting my backhoe off so I can see if the drive shaft is too long. I love the disclaimer that states if you cut the drive shaft you void the warranty but all the instructions teach you how to do it and tells you to do it or the unit won’t be safe. More to come... IMG_0493.JPGIMG_0494.JPGIMG_0496.JPGIMG_0497.JPGIMG_0499.JPGIMG_0498.JPG

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #194  
Unboxing my new toy. This thing sure looks beefy. Being a welder in the past I am quite disappointed in the quality control of the welds as shown. I’m going to have to grind this out and reweld it. Too bad this didn’t come with touch up paint. Working on getting my backhoe off so I can see if the drive shaft is too long. I love the disclaimer that states if you cut the drive shaft you void the warranty but all the instructions teach you how to do it and tells you to do it or the unit won’t be safe. More to come... View attachment 545176View attachment 545177View attachment 545178View attachment 545179View attachment 545180View attachment 545181
Omg those welda are embarrassing!!! I would call them back!!! Ask for a partial refund or discount for time to redo them.

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #195  
Wow - my welds look better than that and i'm self taught. That is sort of disappointing. I am looking forwarded to seeing others in the future as I been thinking about ordering one but would like to see much better quality.

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #196  
My weatherproof monitor and camera arrived yesterday. Will be placing it so I can watch my WG24 while looking straight ahead or perhaps to my right. I'll post up some pics when I get it mounted. Looking forward to a much more enjoyable time in the woods this season. :)

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #197  
Well I got the drive shaft in. Measured once, cut once. Still too long, I thought I was better than that. I guess working all night in Seattle and driving home on one hour of sleep at a rest stop just didn’t cut it. Measured twice and a third time and made the second cut. After some fitness and a scuffed finger I finally got the thing in.

Loosened up the slip joint following the instructions and tested that it will slip. Tightened all the springs back up and what do you know it’s dark outside so now I have to wait till tomorrow. Going to go load up on diesel first thing in the morning because I plan on grinding for three days rain or shine.

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #199  
My neck hurts

:laughing: I find sitting sideways in the seat helps.

Aside from the swiss-cheese welds, how does the grinder perform?

I'd be getting a partial refund and a can of paint out of them or having them send a new unit that passes QC by someone other than Ray Charles.

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #200  
IMG_0516.JPG here is an update on how my grinder is performing. I am hoping for a warranty shaft. If not I hope I can get a replacement tube and repair this one. The slip clutch works fine if the grinder is bound but I think there was a void in the metal. I barely touched the stump and it just popped.