Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #31  
You could rebuild it or purchase a better unit to replace
it??
Check these guys out on how to rebuild and replace
the K46 with something different

willy

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #32  
I'm starting to wonder if I would be best served by a Simplicity Prestige, Simplicity Legacy XL, JD X500 series, or JD X700 series for mowing/snow blowing the paved driveway and get a larger tractor for tractor duties...............

The need is stemming from my current Husqvarna having a K46 trans that is on the outs. It's gone through wheel end shaft seals twice now as well as no longer unlocks, meaning that the posi unit has become a locker. I've serviced it with the Tuff Torq fluid, magnet etc and still have this behavior.

I think when you begin exploring the cost difference between the machines you’ll find the better value in a sub-compact / small compact tractor.

Sure, the X500/X700 will do what you need now, but, a tractor will do those tasks and many others for not much more money. I personally believe, in comparison, that the sub-compact / small compact tractors are built better, have better engines and are a much much better value.

Mike

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations
You could rebuild it or purchase a better unit to replace
it??
Check these guys out on how to rebuild and replace
the K46 with something different

willy

I could but I also am not going to spend the kind of money a K66 retrofit kit costs on this tractor. It was free from my parents when we bought our house (it gave them a bunch of issues with the K46).

I think when you begin exploring the cost difference between the machines you’ll find the better value in a sub-compact / small compact tractor.

Sure, the X500/X700 will do what you need now, but, a tractor will do those tasks and many others for not much more money. I personally believe, in comparison, that the sub-compact / small compact tractors are built better, have better engines and are a much much better value.

Mike
That is true, the delta between a X758 to a JD 1025R or BX series is very very minimal. The cost delta over those tractors to say a B2601 is just about zero as well.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #34  
^^^^
Yes. That's why I prefer and suggest the sub-compact/small compact tractor platform when compared to the "garden" tractor in general.

There will always be a compromise when you are looking for a single machine solution and two machines can become an expensive alternative.

Mike

^^^^
Yes. That's why I prefer and suggest the sub-compact/small compact tractor platform when compared to the "garden" tractor in general.

There will always be a compromise when you are looking for a single machine solution and two machines can become an expensive alternative.

Mike

That's what initially sent me toward the JD 1025R/Kubota BX2680 but from what I've gathered in this thread, the B2601 isn't much larger but is a much more capable unit.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #36  
Talk to me about the SSQA on the SA series Yanmars. I heard they finally discovered them back in September, are they being shipped now? Have they arrived yet?

And, most importantly, are they Universal SSQA or, as I read on their site, some of kind of haff-arsed nonsense?

Still haven't figured that one out.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #37  
That's what initially sent me toward the JD 1025R/Kubota BX2680 but from what I've gathered in this thread, the B2601 isn't much larger but is a much more capable unit.

The 1025R is a stout little tractor. It will surprise you. The B2601 is bigger. And a little more capable. But the 1025r is a stout little tractor. Not worth the money, IMO. But stout

Problem with the 1025r is that JD wants your first-born for it. Go to Tractorhouse and type in any JD tractor, select 'new' and nothing comes up. They even cracked down on packages. You'll see a few with a certain monthly payment but no actual cost, no selling price. Bet they get them at some point in the near future, too. That makes me nervous. I don't buy from Honest John or Slim Shady and I don't go for their 'Trust Us' sloganeering. It turns me off. bigly

I'd look around. If you decide on one of the 2 you mentioned, you'rre getting a good tractor.

But I think they're both too small for what you're gonna need. You're not looking at all the little things yu're gonna need to do that require a bigger tractor. Not more HP, which is slightly overrated..... Bigger.

A grapple, forks, all kinds of 3 point attachments and I don't even think the 1025R is a true Cat 1 3PH. So you'll be trying to mate hybrid equipment at every turn.

Buy your 2nd Tractor first. It's cheaper that way

Last edited:
The 1025R is a stout little tractor. It will surprise you. The BX2680 is bigger. And a little more capable. But the 1025r is a stout little tractor. Not worth the money, IMO. But stout

Problem with the 1025r is that JD wants your first-born for it. Go to Tractorhouse and type in any JD tractor, select 'new' and nothing comes up. They even cracked down on packages. You'll see a few with a certain monthly payment but no actual cost, no selling price. Bet they get them at some point in the near future, too. That makes me nervous. I don't buy from Honest John or Slim Shady and I don't go for their 'Trust Us' sloganeering. It turns me off. bigly

I'd look around. If you decide on one of the 2 you mentioned, you'rre getting a good tractor.

But I think they're both too small for what you're gonna need. You're not looking at all the little things yu're gonna need to do that require a bigger tractor. Not more HP, which is slightly overrated..... Bigger.

A grapple, forks, all kinds of 3 point attachments and I don't even think the 1025R is a true Cat 1 3PH. So you'll be trying to mate hybrid equipment at every turn.

Buy your 2nd Tractor first. It's cheaper that way

At this point I'm leaning toward the B2601. The thing I don't know is how big of a pain it is to add the loader after initial purchase, IE if I buy the B2601/MMM/blower now and say pick up the loader in the spring or in a year etc if that is a life changing ordeal to do after the unit is built.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #39  
At this point I'm leaning toward the B2601. The thing I don't know is how big of a pain it is to add the loader after initial purchase, IE if I buy the B2601/MMM/blower now and say pick up the loader in the spring or in a year etc if that is a life changing ordeal to do after the unit is built.

1) MMM's are the work of satan. Get one if you must, avoid them when you can

2) You'll get a much better deal if you buy the FEL with the tractor. It's called "Bundling". Don't over-complicate things

In fact, look hard at package deals. Get some other attachments while you're at it. Box Blade?? Bush Hog?? Forks?

You can sometimes finance all of it through Kubota at 0% Interest. I like free money.

Last edited:
   / Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #40  
I would strongly advise you to get the FEL at the same time you get the tractor.

No matter what tractor you decide on, get it with the FEL installed.

I would also go SSQA for the FEL attachment type as well, again, doesn't matter which one you pick, make sure you do those 2 things.

FEL + SSQA

You're welcome.