Surge protector woes

/ Surge protector woes #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
I had a surge protector fry last month. I had it for years with no problems. I read that you should replace them every couple of years.

I did some research and found that Cyberpower was a pretty good brand. I replaced all of my strips and wall units with this brand. Since then I have fried one wall unit and two strip surge protectors. The strips have a breaker that is supposed to flip if you get a surge. They did not flip, they just burned.

I'm wondering if I got a knockoffs from Amazon. Any advice from my astute colleagues?

20230215_173730.jpg
20230215_175409.jpg

20230205_180433 (1).jpg
20230205_190612 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 20230205_190612 (1).jpg
    20230205_190612 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
   / Surge protector woes #3  
Those are useless. Get a whole house surge suppressor. and add a good UPS device with surge suppression for desktop computer.

i use a siemens whole house that gives 140,000 amp protection. Not cheap, but thats the idea.
CFB580BD-AB8C-4743-BBB6-7CA3E439B8A4.jpeg

/ Surge protector woes #4  
I'm wondering if I got a knockoffs from Amazon. Any advice from my astute colleagues?
Could be a cheap copy. I once received cheap HF-grade surge strips after ordering from a list of quality items acceptable for government purchase.

Today, one of the major complaints about Amazon is counterfeit goods.

But to blow up more than one, there has to be something going on with your wiring. Test to verify 120v at each outlet and with varying loads elsewhere in the house - washing machine running, etc. I've had damage like you have when the neutral overhead cable from the pole broke. That smoked a clock radio and my battery maintainer. One outlet tested far over 120v.

I like grs's solution.

/ Surge protector woes #5  
If you know how to use an AC voltmeter, check the voltage at several outlets. If readings fluctuate or exceed 125 volts, contact power co. to check incoming lines for loose connections.

Had a bad neutral connection once and lights would brighten and dim, fans change speed, ect as the loads on the hot legs changed. Power co's usually very responsive to these issues.

/ Surge protector woes #6  
Was any item connected to these suppressors damaged? If it was me, and I did not loose any equipment other than the suppressor I’d consider myself lucky. It’s easy and simple to replace an inexpensive suppressor instead of the higher value items you want protected. I know they failed but better to sacrifice the suppressor than your tv/computer/cell… Now you need to figure out what contributed to the failure. Was it an only due to low quality suppressor or other factors as others have suggested. I like the idea of whole home protection but have not idea the cost.

/ Surge protector woes #7  
I think that you are misunderstanding the surge protection on these units. I believe the resettable circuit breaker button is only to protect if YOU overload the circuitry with too many amps through the strip. My understanding of the surge protection mechanism is what happened to them was supposed to happen, stray over current is absorbed by sacrificial components, they 'blow' and permanently kill the internal power circuits. One time protection.

Can anyone confirm?

I also agree with grsthegreat; get a panel or meter installed whole house surge protector to protect from utility power issues and lightning and then use the strip surge protectors for sensitive electronics when surges originating within your home can be arrested.

/ Surge protector woes #8  
If you know how to use an AC voltmeter, check the voltage at several outlets. If readings fluctuate or exceed 125 volts, contact power co. to check incoming lines for loose connections.

Had a bad neutral connection once and lights would brighten and dim, fans change speed, ect as the loads on the hot legs changed. Power co's usually very responsive to these issues.

One thing I'll add to that: just because a problem doesn't show on the voltmeter, doesn't mean a problem doesn't exist. You might catch something, or the problem just might not be happening when you are checking, or the response time on your voltmeter could be too slow to pick up the surges or flickering.

The fact that you've had multiple surge protectors go over a relatively short period of time is an indication that you've got a problem, and probably a more serious one than just a faulty surge protector.

/ Surge protector woes #9  
If it's a real CyberPower unit see what they say. I've been using and working with APC Schneider for decades now through work and I've never seen anything like that.

I've seen a lot of cheap chinese dangerous sub-standard items with "UL" and "CE" written on them, most likely the names of the towns they were made in.

Interesting video $700 Fluke multimeter vs Chinese knockoffs

/ Surge protector woes #10  
Coldsteelva is correct about the resettable button. That is overcurrent protection only.

The surge protection can be accomplished by many methods. Following article describes them.

The common method is the metal oxide varistor ( mov) which is designed to conduct at a voltage , like 350 volts. If a voltage spike comes down the line, the mov will conduct and short out the spike. Small spike ( voltage times time ( nano second for instant) ) the mov shorts out the wave and things continue. The mov absorbs the energy. If the wave is bigger than the mov’s capability, it melts , smokes, …. Is destroyed and no longer functional. There is quite often a led indicating its status.

The best place to protect your whole house is at the circuit panel closest to the meter and utility connection. If the surge wave comes down the utility line, the surge suppressor mounted there, shorts out the wave and it doesn’t progress pass that point. They have a joule rating ( power dissipation rating) and can handle only so much. If lightning strikes your back yard pole, it won’t stop the high voltage wave.

Dj1701 may have an internal house spike generator like a loose connection carrying significant current to generate a spark. Which can send a voltage spike in all directions ( all circuits in the house) Potential fire hazard as loose connection will generate heat. Test dryer, stove, water heater connections for tightness. If not familiar with electricity, call a professional .