TC35-45 reverse cooling fan??

/ TC35-45 reverse cooling fan?? #1  

Flatheadyoungin

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45 Shuttle
A buddy of mine was using his TC35 for some brush hogging.....the chaff plugged up his inlet vents in the front of the hood (I've done mine too). He saw in a magazine or something a fan that automatically reverses direction to help with this. He called the company and they said they didn't make one from something as small as the TC series of tractors.

My buddy would like to have one. Does anyone else make such a critter? Do they really work? I would think they'd just suck crap in from the other end and that end isn't screened.

/ TC35-45 reverse cooling fan?? #2  
I was told once that you used to be able to get a reversed-blade fan on old Fords if they were used alot as stationary engines. Don't know about newer tractors. You are correct in that it would simply suck the stuff in from the other side though...not necessarliy curing the problem.

On my '65 2000 I used to carry a portable air-tank with a nozzle, strapped to the cutter. I would remove as much chaff as possible by hand as temps would rise, but eventually have to blow the stuff out with air. It would save me from having to return to the house (20 min round trip) to use the compressor to do it in the middle of mowing out in the swamp.

/ TC35-45 reverse cooling fan??
good idear...

I was told once that you used to be able to get a reversed-blade fan on old Fords if they were used alot as stationary engines. Don't know about newer tractors. You are correct in that it would simply suck the stuff in from the other side though...not necessarliy curing the problem.

On my '65 2000 I used to carry a portable air-tank with a nozzle, strapped to the cutter. I would remove as much chaff as possible by hand as temps would rise, but eventually have to blow the stuff out with air. It would save me from having to return to the house (20 min round trip) to use the compressor to do it in the middle of mowing out in the swamp.

/ TC35-45 reverse cooling fan?? #4  
Pusher and puller fans... I know you could get them for the N series.. not sure about after that.

soundguy

/ TC35-45 reverse cooling fan?? #5  
If they are electric fans then you can reverse the polarity with a switch set up. Or have a plug on the wires to the motor that you can switch to reverse the polarity. You would have to make sure you switched it back to pull air through the radiator. Although the blades being fixed wouldn't push much air backwards. If you could get some screen like that used on screen doors to put in front of the grill or radiator to catch the big stuff. Hold it on with magnets or velcro. Then when it get's clogged pull it off and wipe it off.
Keep a good eye on the Temp gauge to see if it is getting clogged.

/ TC35-45 reverse cooling fan?? #6  
My father has a International TD15 bulldozer that has a fan that you can reverse each blade to blow in either direction. It was used as a heat source for the operator in the winter.

So that might not work because of the room needed, but what about an electric cooling fan? You'll definately be able to find the size needed, won't take up much room, may add a bit more power since you are reducing parasitic losses and proabably can be reversed easily. The one issue may be amp draw. It appears to be that only the larger car and truck fans take a ton of power, but check it out.

/ TC35-45 reverse cooling fan?? #7  
I have a feeling that the chaff that ended up on the screen would end up in the radiator fins if you simply permanently reversed the flow.

On older combines, they had all sorts of devices to automatically clean the screens. However, to make them work reliably takes a lot of engineering.

Without using a mechanical wiper system, one really needs to be able to pulse the air flow backward for a very short period of time(enough time to allow the blocking material to fall out of the incoming air path).

An adjustable pitch fan would do the trick if it was belt driven. As stated, an electric fan with reversible rotation would be best. An appropriately sized burst of high pressure air utilized at intervals would also work.

Chris

/ TC35-45 reverse cooling fan?? #8  
If they are electric fans then you can reverse the polarity with a switch set up. Or have a plug on the wires to the motor that you can switch to reverse the polarity. You would have to make sure you switched it back to pull air through the radiator. Although the blades being fixed wouldn't push much air backwards. If you could get some screen like that used on screen doors to put in front of the grill or radiator to catch the big stuff. Hold it on with magnets or velcro. Then when it get's clogged pull it off and wipe it off.
Keep a good eye on the Temp gauge to see if it is getting clogged.

Yep, try replacing the fixed fan with an electric fan. Use a push button switch to temporarily reverse the DC polarity to the fan. About ten seconds should probably do it. A timer could be used to rig it to switch back and forth automatically.

/ TC35-45 reverse cooling fan?? #9  
reverse

I can't get the picture on this link to cut and paste. This is a simple circuit to reverse with a toggle switch.

/ TC35-45 reverse cooling fan?? #10  
All it takes is a DPDT switch... center 2 contacts are power and ground.. outter 4 contacts are +/- on one side.. and -/+ on the other..

soundguy