Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer?

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #161  
I would think an inclinometer wouldn't do anything. If you run over something like a 6x6 post laying down tractor won't roll over but inclinometer would show too much tip.
Then if you had a sinkhole tractor could tip but too late for the inclinometer.
I have an area I bush hog that's super steep but I do it when ground is firm (no rain for days) and I back uphill, straight down forward slowly. An inclinometer would be something else to look at instead of where you're going.
If I feel unsure I just go straight downhill instead of across even if it takes longer, remembering heavy end uphill.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer?
I had no idea that this post would be so controversial. Our land up in NH has no level ground. I glance at the inclinometer all the time as I go across sloped areas. It's very helpful when there is no reference for level. Keep the bucket low, have lots of weight on the back, and stay under 15 degrees. Look at the instrument panel on an airliner. Should they remove them so the pilots don't get distracted from flying?

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #163  
Maybe get a new trailer? I run my tractor wide as I have no level land either and I don't want to tip it. For sure people have turned their tractor on its side on 10 deg slopes, but you have to be doing alot of things wrong. No ballast, something heavy on the FEL up a bit high, a bump, and a turn while moving briskly and over it would go. If you have an HST, you can put the tractor in 2wd on a side slope and do some testing, split the brakes and hold the downhill one and lift the loader a bit, you'll find it will get easier and easier to spin the uphill tire as you raise the loader. Do the same with a heavy ballast on the back, the difference is pretty significant.
If you have to move across a slope with something heavy in the bucket, go slow and skim it on the ground. The grass will recover just fine.

My 4600 usually has the 48 backhoe on it, so sometimes if I am nervous I'll swing the hoe around to act as counterweight. I'll also put the stabilizers down low sometimes.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #165  
I could see an inclinometer being useful as a reference.
For me, my sense of fear is totally a mental perception effected by what’s in my peripheral vision than the reality of the slope’s angle. That is:
When I’m mowing a bank in a gully, I can feel “snug” down in the gully, where the tractor might only partially roll into the opposite bank a few feet away, it’s not scary at all.
Other times, when on at the top of a hill with a panoramic view, etc.., you feel like you’re going to fall off the top of the world and I have had to stop and walk away, yet I’m NOT EVEN CLOSE to the angle of the gully.
An inclinometer would ground both these perceptions in reality.

Last edited:
   / Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #166  
If an inclinometer works for anyone here, go for it.

For those who get one, after more and more experience with the tractor, I'd expect that it will end up just another gadget that gets no attention at all.

For those taking on a scary slope, just keep in mind some fundamentals of the tractor.. un-locked brake pedals so if the tractor begins to tilt (tip) you do two things right away. Apply the uphill brake pedal and turn downhill. That will get the front end lower quickly and switch power/traction to the downhill wheel. This is prolly not an instinctive decision to make, so some pre-planning of what to do is a good idea.
Know your escape routes when on the sidehills.

"If an inclinometer works for anyone here, go for it.

For those who get one, after more and more experience with the tractor, I'd expect that it will end up just another gadget that gets no attention at all."

Agreed. When I first got the 4600 6 years ago, I watched a lot of videos of tractors rolling over. I had a farmer friend in junior high that was killed in a tractor accident, not rolling over, but flipping up and over while pulling another machine out of the mud. They did not use the drawbar, but had chains around the axles --- a recipe for disaster.

That set me up with a good healthy degree of fear of rolling, perhaps more than needed. Set the rear wheels as wide as possible, keep loads as low as possible, keep the rops bar up, and use the seat belt on slopes. If a rear wheel lifts, drop the loader immediately.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #168  
"If an inclinometer works for anyone here, go for it.

For those who get one, after more and more experience with the tractor, I'd expect that it will end up just another gadget that gets no attention at all."

Agreed. When I first got the 4600 6 years ago, I watched a lot of videos of tractors rolling over. I had a farmer friend in junior high that was killed in a tractor accident, not rolling over, but flipping up and over while pulling another machine out of the mud. They did not use the drawbar, but had chains around the axles --- a recipe for disaster.

That set me up with a good healthy degree of fear of rolling, perhaps more than needed. Set the rear wheels as wide as possible, keep loads as low as possible, keep the rops bar up, and use the seat belt on slopes. If a rear wheel lifts, drop the loader immediately.
Concur with all that. "Terrified" is a bad word and maybe only a poor choice of words (?) but if one is terrified in operating some piece of machinery you have no business on it. You need to be confident in the use AND comfortable, not terrified. At 167 posts this thread is crazy-long... but that is partly because all of us can identify with the issue to one degree or another. As I said 30 or more posts ago I had a JD4700 mechanically identical to your 4600. They are NOT tipsy by nature. Good low c.g as is. If your rear wheels are set out as wide as they will go (often limited by your trailer width) you are VERY UNLIKELY to be in danger of roll-over unless you are in places where you know darn well you do not belong !! I too lost friends in tractor accidental roll-overs. One especially was so very, very experienced I still can't believe it happened! He was bush hogging steep rough ground & gullies. Some mention of 15 degrees being effectively "onset of fear" or a threshold of safety is just too mild to make any sense. Unless you are mowing level sports field you WILL be on slopes that steep and steeper. If you can't be comfy on a 15% slope get off the machine and don't get back on.

I view/summarize this thread as follows: 1) Rear wheel spread is the main variable 2) Lowest c.g. is always safest, 3) Any gadget (e.g. inclinometer or whatever) is nothing more than a reference and 4) mainly YOU need to develop your own comfort level judgement. This is above all a JUDGEMENT issue. Good judgement keeps you alive in all matters and certainly in tractor operation too. Gadgets are nice in that you run along a side slope and check the gage and say "Oh that's OK, I'm comfy there" or glance at it at some moment when you feel you are on the edge of too much slope. That cut and try process gives you a range of % slope that you know (in the back of the mind) is your comfort range. A frame of reference is an excellent way to refine your good judgement , but that is all it is good for, NOT a gage to look at & depend on to tell you if you are comfortable or not !!

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #169  
For those taking on a scary slope, just keep in mind some fundamentals of the tractor.. un-locked brake pedals so if the tractor begins to tilt (tip) you do two things right away. Apply the uphill brake pedal and turn downhill. That will get the front end lower quickly and switch power/traction to the downhill wheel. This is prolly not an instinctive decision to make, so some pre-planning of what to do is a good idea.

This is counter-intuitive to me. To turn sharply downhill, you need the uphill wheel turning faster than the downhill wheel. Braking the wheel you need to turn faster (uphill wheel) doesn't make sense.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #170  
This is counter-intuitive to me. To turn sharply downhill, you need the uphill wheel turning faster than the downhill wheel. Braking the wheel you need to turn faster (uphill wheel) doesn't make sense.
Correct. I agree it is bad advice. For sure... turn down hill. And for sure... forget the brakes which you do not have time to screw with anyway! beenthere may have meant to say apply the down hill brake which is potentially helpful but still poor advice -- just don't have time in general to mess with brakes.