Third function disconnects ?

/ Third function disconnects ? #1  

Tigershark

Silver Member
Tractor
KIOTI NX5510 Cab HST with Backhoe
I have an everything attachment grapple that came with summit Ff12M quick connectors on both the grapple hookups and the tractor. Something has gone wrong with the ones on the grapple and they no longer will connect to the tractor. I’ve tried everything snd they just won’t connect anymore even when completely off the grapple. I’m calling Summit Monday But I have a spare set of pioneer quick connects that I could swap out . Does anyone know if the pioneer will be sufficient for hydraulic flow For the grapple for a few days? I know the summit ones are what a lot of skid steers use just didn’t know if there would be any issue swapping them out for a short time. Just cut down 14 trees and need to use it and no local places carry the quick connects
thanks for any advice

/ Third function disconnects ? #2  
There could be pressure built up in the line. Cover the implement poppet with a rag and them smack it with a hammer to relieve pressure. Its messy but they will frequently connect after doing that. It might take a couple wacks, keep doing it till the fluid dribbles instead of sprays. Shut the tractor down, turn the key on and actuate the 3rd function a few times then try to connect. This should relieve pressure on the tractor and implement. With it being warmer now, there is thermal expansion of the hydraulic fluid and that can lock the hydraulic couplers up solid.

/ Third function disconnects ? #3  
Pressure build up in implements is a thing. Even a 10-15 degree temp rise can do it.
If you're not comfortable hitting things with hammers you can unscrew one of the quick connects to let the pressure out. Don't do it too often though as NPT threads seal by deforming.

I made a couple devices with two quick connects on a tee with a valve and cap. I plug it into my hydraulic implements when I take them off the tractor. Then let the pressure out when it's time to put it on again.

/ Third function disconnects ?
The pressure was relieved I think something just broke as the two won’t lock anymore that’s why I am looking to switch it out. I have extra Pioneer fittings just don’t know if they can handle the high psi that a grapple demands, maybe they can I just don’t want to hurt something until the replacement summit fittings come in next week

/ Third function disconnects ? #5  
Flow won't matter on a grapple. It will function fine with the Pioneer fittings as long as they connect and flow. If you are concerned look up the number on the fittings you have for pressure and flow ratings.

/ Third function disconnects ? #6  
What high PSI? Your tractor only puts out 2500 more or less. Most hydraulic components are rated 3000 or more and you see a lot of double wire hoses in 1/2" size rated at 4000. Your main concern would be thread matching, not pressure or flow rate. NPTF and NPTS with a gasket are different mating mechanisms. Also, some straight threads with the sealing gasket (NPTS) for 1/2" connections are 3/4 x 14 (or 16 forget) and some are Metric 18 or 20 mm x 1.5.

/ Third function disconnects ? #7  
I have the pioneer type on my 60" wicked grapple. No problems at all.

/ Third function disconnects ?
Thanks everyone for the info. I am one male connector short on my inventory so I’ll have to contact Summit tomorrow and see if they can send me a new set. They make ones that can be released snd inserted under pressure now for 10$ more I’ll probably go with those. Can’t believe no one has a regular pioneer rural king and tractor supply are both out :mad: I guess covid is the reason supply urg. Was hoping to get it done today but will have to wait. I would borrow a set from another implement but ran out of things to cap those so they don’t leak everywhere Thanks again for confirming I didn’t need a high flow and regular one will work.

/ Third function disconnects ? #9  
Last edited:
   / Third function disconnects ? #10