Thoughts on GST transmissions

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #1  

Brambleberry

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 4850 EverClutch
I'm looking hard at an L5030 that has the GST transmission. Our local Kubota dealership salesman told me that GST wasn't the best transmission but then kinda evaded further comment on it besides it being harder and more expensive to work on if something breaks.

Is this something to be concerned about as I shop for a used Kubota?

Thanks!

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #3  
I have a L3010 GST and I really like it. It is basically a hydraulic clutch. I really like it for mowing with my rotary cutter. As far as I know they have a reputation for good durability. Just don't run it wide open and slam it directly from forward to reverse.

Last edited:
   / Thoughts on GST transmissions #5  

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #7  
Happy with mine.

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #8  
I'm looking hard at an L5030 that has the GST transmission. Our local Kubota dealership salesman told me that GST wasn't the best transmission but then kinda evaded further comment on it besides it being harder and more expensive to work on if something breaks.

Is this something to be concerned about as I shop for a used Kubota?

Thanks!
The Glideshift is a VERY complicated transmission. I would say it is the most complicated transmission type that Kubota offers. ( a hydrostat could not hold a candle to the glideshifts complexity) I have studied the service manual for hours and I still don't fully understand it. So yes I suppose it might be harder to work on of any transmission and might be expensive. BUT in all of my findings it is also a VERY reliable transmission. So I would look at it this way, it is not likely to break, but IF it does, yes you are probably gonna pay.

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #9  
The Glideshift is a VERY complicated transmission. I would say it is the most complicated transmission type that Kubota offers. ( a hydrostat could not hold a candle to the glideshifts complexity) I have studied the service manual for hours and I still don't fully understand it. So yes I suppose it might be harder to work on of any transmission and might be expensive. BUT in all of my findings it is also a VERY reliable transmission. So I would look at it this way, it is not likely to break, but IF it does, yes you are probably gonna pay.
I could see that possibly. I'm a fan of HSTs over a GST personally. But the GSTs are reliable. My brothers father-in-law has in I use occasionally. I can't get the timing on the shuttle shift right & end up using the dry clutch for precision work. That's mostly due to only using it a few hours at a time rarely & not logging the hours to get a feel for it. I can get close to HST precision out of it, but not quite. A GST (or any geared tranny) is more efficient than a HST though by about 15%.

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #10  
Brambleberry, have you actually operated the L5030 GST? I use mine mostly with my rough cut mower. it is great for making small speed changes. If I have a lot of Forward and Reverse action, I idle it down and use the foot throttle. The hydraulic clutch actuation is smooth.