Thoughts on GST transmissions

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #11  
I demoed one at the dealership about 15 years ago. Somehow got the unit stuck in neutral in the parking lot and couldn't get it to move. Salesperson couldn't get it to move. We left it there in the parking lot with the mechanic fiddling with it. Kubota GST didn't leave me with a good impression and fell off my radar ever since.

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #12  
13 years of dependable service from our L3240 GST.
Operating it took a little time to figure out best technique for different situations, like loader work or pulling a load up or down a hill.
As Fallon noted, the efficiency is a little higher with GST than with HST, which helps the L3240 squeeze a little more power out of the engine & into the wheels and PTO.

We also have a B2320 with HST, which has been great, too. Sometimes a little howly, but after a few minutes of use I really don't notice it.

Last edited:
   / Thoughts on GST transmissions
Brambleberry, have you actually operated the L5030 GST? I use mine mostly with my rough cut mower. it is great for making small speed changes. If I have a lot of Forward and Reverse action, I idle it down and use the foot throttle. The hydraulic clutch actuation is smooth.
No, I haven't run it. It's a good 7 hours from me so it's gonna be one of those "bring a trailer and be ready to buy it" type deals. I'm going to be doing mostly mowing brush with it, so glad to hear you like yours for that work.

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions
So you can still operate GST like a regular clutch-n-shift if you want to, right? Like if you're in a high gear and need to stop, you can manually clutch in and shuttle down to first?

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #15  
So you can still operate GST like a regular clutch-n-shift if you want to, right? Like if you're in a high gear and need to stop, you can manually clutch in and shuttle down to first?
Yes, You can use the clutch as a conventional synchronized transmission. In fact, that's how I start out. If I am mowing, I will bump it up or down a gear without the clutch. The (glide) hydraulic clutch is really smooth. If I am doing a lot of forward and backward stuff, I will take it down to medium idle, and gently go from F to N to R and throttle up with the foot throttle. But, if you'd rather, you can use the traditional clutch. Just don't have it at high RPMs and jam it from forward to reverse.

I think they are the cat's pajamas for mowing. If the price is right and it is in good condition, I think you'll like it.

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #16  
The shuttle on the steering column goes from forward, neutral, reverse using the internal wet clutch. The gear shift to any gear automatically using the internal wet clutch. No need to use the external dry clutch on the clutch pedal if you are good with the timing. There is a little delay on the shuttle lever & depending on what gear you are going from & to there can be a second or 2 as it clutches & shifts all on its own.

I never got to the point I trusted the shuttle doing precision loader work or running a box blade inches from a building. I always defaulted to using the clutch pedal. A wet clutch is mire durable than the dry one. Also, why get a fancy GST when you treat it like a cheap manual or shuttle. It's definitely something you can get a feel for if you spend the time on or are doing non-precision field work.

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #17  
Yep. My glide shift is super smooth shifting up and down the gears without the foot clutch.

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #18  
I have used 3 gst and 2 hst and two gear shifts. The gst models all behaved a little different possibly based on wear. For precision the hst is best. The hst units were very similar. The gst is a manual shuttle transmission with a hydraulic clutch between the dry clutch and transmission. The hydraulic clutch allows the transmission to be shifted using internal hydraulics based on a lever position. I am not a big fan of starting to pull under load with a dry clutch. The gst uses a wet clutch which will last longer. A hst with an independent PTO is my preference even though it has less rim pull than a manual. I would not buy it unless you try it as you want to use it unless it is for field work.

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #19  
Yes. But there are more features than just that.

I love my GST - it is now 20 years old with never a problem. Had a Kubota HST and sold it after 35 hours because of the transmission whine. Had a Kubota manual "shuttle" too. Based on my experiences I would rate GST #1, then shuttle #2, then HST #3. GST is as efficient as a shuttle. HST wastes power.

/ Thoughts on GST transmissions #20  
I've heard good things about GST's, especially if you're going to mostly use it for mowing, it sounds like a good choice. If you'd be doing back and forth loader work, then the HST might be a better choice. If it checks out well when you try it, I wouldn't worry about it. The little extra efficiency in the power train is a plus.