Thoughts on installing hoist in barn.....

/ Thoughts on installing hoist in barn..... #11  
Not a good idea to put any load on the bottom of those trusses, that design is not made for that. I have had a couple of systems in my shops and a friend also, all used to lift the tops from our jeeps. We have several perils tied together with 2xs to mount the winch on, however our perils are mounted on edge between the trusses. Sense your perils are laying flat on top i would install 3 -4 additional ones on edge between the two trusses were you want the hoist then a plate tied to them to install the hoist. That will allow the load to be transmitted through the truss. I just moved and in the process of building a new shop and have not installed a lift in this one yet , so no pics, do have one of how the perils are mounted, they are 2x6 and the trusses are 2x8.

Attachments

• image-507900289.jpg
    image-507900289.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 253
   / Thoughts on installing hoist in barn..... #12  
   / Thoughts on installing hoist in barn.....
Not a good idea to put any load on the bottom of those trusses, that design is not made for that. I have had a couple of systems in my shops and a friend also, all used to lift the tops from our jeeps. We have several perils tied together with 2xs to mount the winch on, however our perils are mounted on edge between the trusses. Sense your perils are laying flat on top i would install 3 -4 additional ones on edge between the two trusses were you want the hoist then a plate tied to them to install the hoist. That will allow the load to be transmitted through the truss. I just moved and in the process of building a new shop and have not installed a lift in this one yet , so no pics, do have one of how the perils are mounted, they are 2x6 and the trusses are 2x8.

thanks for that info........

You really need to abandon the idea of hanging anything from your trusses and go with a Gantry Crane. You can build a light weight one from wood that should easily handle the weight you are talking about, or go for something like this out of steel that will handle what might come up in the future.

Hoists & Cranes | Cranes-Gantry | Vestil Steel Gantry Crane FHS-2-1 1' Fixed Height 2 Lb. Capacity | 24132 - GlobalIndustrial.com

looks like the easiest solution, not the cheapest though...............

/ Thoughts on installing hoist in barn..... #15  
Jib crane, placed inside or outside. Or make up a jib arm for your tractor loader. Our local Craigslist has quite a few. This way you will be safe when the thing you want to load is more than a tent. This kind of stuff finds more uses than originally imagined, as you can see,

Attachments

• 20160730_194449.jpg
    20160730_194449.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 299
   / Thoughts on installing hoist in barn..... #16  
I used a 4x4x12 to span multiple trusses and then doubled up the bottom cord on two of the trusses. I lifted 1200 lbs on multiple occasions with zero issues

I used a 4x4x12 to span multiple trusses and then doubled up the bottom cord on two of the trusses. I lifted 1200 lbs on multiple occasions with zero issues

What did you do to double up the bottom cord. Could you post a pic if possible. Thanks

/ Thoughts on installing hoist in barn..... #18  
What did you do to double up the bottom cord. Could you post a pic if possible. Thanks

This was at my old house so unable to take a pic. My pole barn was 28 X 40 so the truss had a 28' span. I just nailed a 2 X 4 x16 alongside the 2 X 4 bottom cord.

This was at my old house so unable to take a pic. My pole barn was 28 X 40 so the truss had a 28' span. I just nailed a 2 X 4 x16 alongside the 2 X 4 bottom cord.

Thanks

/ Thoughts on installing hoist in barn..... #20  
Knowing me,,,, I'd build a carrier that would withstand the capacity of the hoist. Because at some point I'm going to lift a heavier item than the original intent. :)