Tiny Houses

/ Tiny Houses #21  
Growing up 1 had 5 brothers and 3 sisters. We lived in a 1200 - 1400 sq. ft. home with 4 bedroom and 1 working bathroom. My 2 older brothers shared a room. My 3 older sisters shared another room. Mom and Dad had the third room. And me and my three younger brothers shared the fourth room, that was the large attic storage area.
Yeiks....and i thought i had it rough sharing a room with my brother. Only 4 kids in my family.

/ Tiny Houses #22  
So we are currently in 1350 sq ft house on 1 acre. Now that kids are out (mostly 🤣 ) we're looking to downsize.
Ours is a little bigger, ~1500, just me and the wife and I couldn't see us living in anything smaller. We both like having a little elbow room.

/ Tiny Houses #23  
We are currently living in a 'tiny house' at 510 SF. I absolutely love it!
I guess we have been downsizing over the years. Our first home was just under 6,000SF (and it was a rancher), the second was a 3400 SF cape cod style. Our last house was again a rancher at 3,000 SF.

I built all three of those thinking it was going to be our "forever home". Each time we downsized, we were amazed at how much junk we had accumulated and never used! We gave away a lot of stuff with the last move into our 'Tiny Home'.

I built the tiny house on two 21K triple axle trailers, custom designed for my "conventional" framing / build. (We were planning on moving the house to a new property after we sold the last big house, then sell the property the tiny home is on). I designed the house to be "split" just like a double wide mobile home. Also designed to be lifted off the trailers and set over a basement or crawl space. I paid cash for everything and own the land, 3 outbuildings, and the land.

At first, I told the wifey that I didn't think I could live in a closet.... it took a couple of weeks to truly get used to "everything has a place, and only one place". It has everything we need.... a full eat-in kitchen with full size appliances, a full bathroom, living room, and bedroom with king size bed and walk in closet, a 5' long pantry closet, and a laundry room with full size W/D. What more do you need?

Heating is supplied by a pellet stove (and I only use 16-20 bags / year), Hot water by a Low Nox 98% efficient tankless WH. The entire house built using regular residential materials, including solid oak T&G floors throughout. Actually all top of the line faucets, fixtures, hardware.

The wifey LOVED it from the start.... took me about 4 months to really start liking it. We can thoroughly clean it (and I mean thoroughly) in about an hour ...from top to bottom! Gives us a lot more free time and is easier on the old bones.

Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY! Would I change anything? Yes, I would have made it 4' wider adding another 120 SF, powder bath, and an additional closet.

/ Tiny Houses #24  
Ours is a little bigger, ~1500, just me and the wife and I couldn't see us living in anything smaller. We both like having a little elbow room.
My wife and I both work during the day, so there's 9.5 hours apart. She's been working from home for the duration of the pandemic, but I'm out of the house.

We tend to cook dinner together, watch the local and national news while eating or eat at the dining room table for stuff we don't want to spill on our laps. 🤣

We'll take a walk or work in the yard after dinner. Then we spend the evening together in the living room reading or doing a jigsaw puzzle while the TV is on in the background. If something interesting is on, we'll watch it, but usually just background noise. We tend to do a 1000 piece puzzle every week or so.

Sometimes we'll take a drive out for ice cream in the evenings. :p

Wife tends to go to be early, so we really only spend about 4.5 hours a day together.

Usually 1 night a week we either take dinner to her mom's or her mom comes here for dinner.

On weekends we take drives to wherever seems interesting. Mostly, we drive to state and national parks in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio or Illinois and walk. Hit some antique/junk shops for bottle openers and toothpick holders, then hit a pub or restaurant for dinner.

We actually enjoy each other's company, so that's a plus. (y)

But we have a large craft room in the basement and lots of garage space to putter around in. A secluded patio for nice days in the sun. An above ground pool with a deck for more sun. So there's plenty of room to get away from each other if desired. ;)

/ Tiny Houses #25  
I grew up in a 2200 Sq. Ft. house. Seems ok right?

I had 5 sisters. We had 2 bathrooms - one was my parent’s master bathroom.

So, I shared 1 bathroom with 5 sisters.

Not easy!

MoKelly
And I thought I had it bad with two sisters. But then the older of the two was mean as a snake. But she's mellowed put since then.

/ Tiny Houses #26  
The first home I bought myself was a used house trailer (before they came up with the name "mobile home"). It was 8' x 28'.:)

/ Tiny Houses #27  
The places in the original video are indeed weekend getaway type places. They are up on Lookout Mountain about 20 mins. from Chattanooga in Dade Co. Georgia. I have driven by but have not stopped. They look very well done!

/ Tiny Houses #28  
Not for me!!! When I trip/slip/stumble - no place to fall.

/ Tiny Houses #29  
I still own the original farmhouse that I lived in the first four years of my life…..

IMG_0610.jpg

The machines are all gone but I live alone anyways and would have no trouble whatsoever living in the 500 odd square foot space.

It would kinda be a fun renovation project actually.

/ Tiny Houses
I want to build myself a tiny house in the country. The tiny houses in the videos are victims of capitalism. My 200 square feet tiny house is going to cost me about $1000.