Tiny Houses

/ Tiny Houses #42  
It is too easy for people to become slaves to their wants. We want a big house on the water and a bit of land with toys galore. We want the big vehicles so we can tow more stuff and don't forget the buildings to store the stuff. Then, to pay the interest on the loans and property taxes, we have to get a second job or work overtime.

OR.....some people are content on only having what they need. They don't need that second job and they can retire early.
Pretty broad brush strokes there buddy... I have what I want, I worked for it, so why not. I love my job and I like earning money; retirement is for quitters in my book. Oh wait... there goes that wide brush stroke again.:oops:

/ Tiny Houses #44  
I looked into the shipping container route.... way too expensive they want over $5K for an 8x40 here. Then you have the hassle of trying to put in the windows and doors. Then you still have to furr out the inside for wall coverings.

We spent $25k on the house (move in ready) and $15K on the custom trailers. The intent was to sell the trailers after the house placed on a foundation.

I disagree with scaredychicken..... we are only in the house almost 3 years, but I (and wifey) expect to stay in this house for the rest of our lives.... it may or may not be in a different area. The cool thing is that I can move the whole house within a few days or a week of prep.

I personally know 2 couples that are living in their tiny homes for over 7 years now. I am sure there are a lot more people doing the same. Everyone that has visited us are amazed at "how much space" we have.

/ Tiny Houses #45  
Just over 9yrs in a 20 X 24ft log cabin. The wife and I came from 30yrs in a BIG 9 room farmhouse to our dream of a log cabin. Luckily there's 23 acres of woods, a pond, 5 X 5ft hunting house (hers) and a breathtaking view from 1700ft elevation. We would never go back to anything bigger than this.

/ Tiny Houses #46  
lived in 200 square feet with wife + dog for years; it was ok, and financially advantageous (ie, CHEAP).
After 7 years, we took all the dough we'd saved and bought a big place.

/ Tiny Houses #47  
lived in 200 square feet with wife + dog for years; it was ok, and financially advantageous (ie, CHEAP).
After 7 years, we took all the dough we'd saved and bought a big place.
Yeiks... you win. My master closet is larger than 200sf... well, not really, but close.

/ Tiny Houses #48  
I lived in a 12x16 foot building for several years, then built an 8x12 foot addition. Due to some bad choices I lived there longer than I intended until I could buy a slightly larger 12x32 foot building which is where I am now. The only good thing to say is that it's easy to heat; but I have to go outside to change my mind. I want something with a foundation so that I can store food and my two freezers. That 12x16 is headed up the road this winter, where it will turn into my livestock building/garden shed.

One thing I will say though; both my last and current dogs hated the old building. Yet Ruger made it clear very quickly that this was his home. I've been told by friends who were outside checking the place out while I was away that they wouldn't want to come through the door... he wasn't threatening, it was a promise what would happen if they did.

/ Tiny Houses #50  
I was living in an appliance box with a sibling. Had a tv and everything. Then my mom said dinner was ready and didn't get back to the appliance box for a few days. Moved out to the tree house cause it was cooler at night.:giggle:

But really, now live in 1200 sqft "manufactured" home. 20x24 foot shop and 15x10 foot wood shed. Im not counting the generator hut. Paid it off years ago.