Tires for 7K car hauler

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #22  
We have started skipping the "trailer" rated tires. They are so low end they aren't even rated to carry persons. We have stepped up to the Michelin D or E truck tires. Once we did that the failures and carcass rot stopped.

The E range stuff we have is all 16" rims. From memory 15" rims have a few D range choices. I don't think LT tires are a good choice for a 7k axle though. In fact I don't recall seeing a 7k axle with anything less than a 8 lug 16" wheel. That's a 14k tandem axle trailer-which is a custom cargo/car hauler.

OP doesn't state if this is tandem or single axle. If it's tandem axle that's 3.5k per axle or 1.75k per tire. This is about max for C range.

I am a little confused by these two posts. I have a trailer with 16'' wheel so that is why I am asking. I've thought about LT tires for it when the time comes.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #23  
Trailer tires are not regulated like automobile tires. There are several problems with trailer tires. 1. Most are only speed rated for 65MPH. Most states have interstate speeds higher than that. 2. Most trailer just have barely enough tire. If you buy a 10k trailer it will come with load range D tires. Load range D tires are good for 2540. So 4 tires at 2540 are good for 10,160. Then if your trailer is not sitting level you will have one axle overloaded and could have a blow out. If load the trailer to max capacity and get to flying down the interstate you are asking for problems. That is why I recommended for the OP to get load range E tires for his 7k trailer. Then if you look at truck tires, an 8,000lb 3/4 ton will have load range E tires that are good for 3400 each or 13600 all together. A new 3/4 ton with have a gross weight around 10,000, so it has a little extra tire on it unlike trailers.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #24  
Carlisle/ goodyear is what uhaul uses.
If you look at the tires they use they are built especially for Uhaul. We as consumers can't buy them.

The Carlisle and Goodyear Marathon trailer tires I have had were JUNK!

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #25  
I have some Kenda Load Star tires on 3500lb trailer that are 11 years old now. It doesn't get used often (probably hasn't been on the highway in the last 4 years) nor does it go very far when it does. A few weeks ago I took a look at them and they don't have any dry rot. This trailer sits in the sun all day long. When I do replace them I'm going to buy another set.

As for using truck tires on a dual axle trailer, I would be careful. Trailer tires are rounded on the tread surface so when the trailer makes a sharp turn it helps reduce the resistance from the tires sliding sideways. Car/ truck tires are designed for just the ooposite. They are designed to provide traction to prevent your car/ truck from sliding sideways. So if you are trying to back your trailer into a tight spot with a load on it you could do damage to the tire or the trailer because of the added force. Lots of people do it.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #26  
I am a little confused by these two posts. I have a trailer with 16'' wheel so that is why I am asking. I've thought about LT tires for it when the time comes.

Ok thanks for asking me to clarify.

We have several trailers and have had and seen blowouts. The "easy" ones occur around town with a load from the quarry. The ones that are a bummer occur on some vacation or out of town. We tried early replacement and extra maintenance of "trailer" tires and finally ditched the trailer tires in favor of normal vehicle rated tires.
On our bigger stuff like the cargo trailer with tandem 7k axles we use the same tires that go on the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks- Michelin. Those are load range E.

On the lighter stuff we use load range D tires.

Some of my confusion was with regards to the 7k trailer description from the OP. I thought that was per axle or a single axle. So my initial comments were made with that understanding. Then as the thread went on I realized it was two 3.5k axles- lighter duty. Therefore the load range D would work.

So bottom line- I have had great success with LT rated tires. The upfront cost is offset by increased lifespan and decreased failure rate. Plus the peace of mind on a long trip is worth something to me.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler
Good info, thanks to all. I'm going to look into P- or LT- metrics with the needed load rating and compare to the preferred ST brands mentioned.

I could have been more clear, trailer has 2- 3500lb axles with 205/75R15 tires. Not sure I'm gonna find LT 's in that size.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #28  
The subject says "7k car hauler". That's two 3500lb axles, which usually means 15" wheels, and either 215 or 225 size tires.

My experience is this: Bias ply trailer tires are durable and great for short hauls around town. However, they are VERY picky about alignment, and I've had them wear quickly (less than 5000mi) on a single axle boat trailer that didn't wear radial tires at all. For longer runs like the OP is suggesting, and especially for a two axle trailer, I'd recommend sticking with radials for best wear.

I am done with TL (trailer use only) tires for any trailer I plan to keep and use. They are generally made as cheaply as possible no matter what brand you buy, and unless you use Load Range D or E 15" trailer tires, they are NOT better in any way than normal (P-rated) tires. Even going with a name brand trailer tires (Goodyear, Marathon) has not worked out well for my friends and I.

We now use P215 or P225/75R15 tires on all of our car and boat trailers, and LT rated tires on heavier trailers with 16" wheels. The exception is one set of Goodyear G614's that I have on my Gooseneck. The G614's are Load Range G, and I bought them with low miles off CL for $100 each. They are over $300 each new, and are really heavy tires that wear like iron and hold up GREAT, particularly when used well under capacity in lieu of a LR E tire. (Not helpful to OP, but perhaps to others...)

We've experienced no tire failure problems with the non-trailer rated tires, even on tires that are 10+ years old. In my experience, and by most mfg's recommendation, trailer tires that are 5 years old should be replaced. They may be fine for around town, but I certainly wouldn't take them on a longer trip... The last set of P-rated tires we had on the car hauler were P215/75R15 Goodyear RT/S's that were bought off CL as a take-off set of wheels and tires from a new (at the time) Jeep Wrangler. (~2000MY) They lasted 15 years before weather checking and wear prompted their replacement about two years ago. We replaced them with P225/75R15 Cooper Discoverer H/T's. No issues so far.

My experiences as well.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #29  
No way any reputable tire shop will put P tires on around here. Sidewall strength is just not there.

It was common practice to use LT tires also around here but no more. They will not mount them either.

It all comes down to liability. With the Greenball and Maxxis trailer tires going one load range higher than needed we have had zero failures in the last 15 plus years and about 300,000 miles. We do change them out every 5 to 6 years.

/ Tires for 7K car hauler #30  
I've posted this over-pressure info in another thread, but came across this tonight - it lists Goodyear's bulletin #:

I won't tow with ST tires much faster than 65 mph, and if I lived in the SouthWest, maybe not even that high...

Another important distinction between LT and ST tires is their speed ratings something a lot of RVers tend to overlook. Goodyear, maker of Marathon trailer tires, states in its bulletin PSB 2011-13: Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 mph under normal inflation and load conditions. Based on these industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is necessary to increase the cold-inflation pressure by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load. Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi does not provide any additional load-carrying capacity.

"Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph. The cold-inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire."

RV Tires 1�1

Rgds, D.