Traction Tires??

/ Tires?? #1  

Rutman

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar sa424
Looking at used kubota b2400 with turf tires.

Can R4’s be mounted on these rims?

If yes, then what’s a ballpark price to purchase R4’s and have them mounted?

/ Tires?? #2  
I will not guarantee my answer regarding the rims but I do think you will need new rims if you go to R4's. Every thread I've ever seen on changing tire types - they always buy rim/tire sets.

If your B2400 is 4WD - then tire size MUST be taken into consideration. STRONGLY suggest consultation with your Kubota dealer in this area.

Price is like anything else - Sets of four tires mounted on new rims - - anywhere from $2250 to over $4000.

And like most everything - you will get what you pay for.

/ Tires?? #3  
I was wondering where to put this. Thought about the Slippery Slope tread, but that's about mitigating a drainage issue. This isn't really a puncture or strength issue, so it doesn't really go on the Ag vs R4 puncture thread. It isn't really LS specific either so ......

I found out R4s do NOT like my mud. This is on a fairly steep slope, but not my worst. This is in Low, 4WD and DiffLock:

Mud.jpg

It went most of the way, but I ended up having to back down. Tried another spot adjacent, same issue. Had to move to a different area to get up the hill.

To be fair, this mud is so slick it's hard to walk on safely. Some sort of clay/soil mix that gets slicker'n snail snot as the saying goes. Also, this area was worked a few weeks back to move some dirt around while practicing with the hoe and loader, so it is not fully stabilized and they really isn't much turf established. Also, I had both the FEL and BH on as well as the MMM.

Not in a position to afford a spare set of R1s on wheels and I'm not even sure they would work in this case.

Any thoughts on chains?

Hopefully by next Winter I'll have better turf here and it won't be as much of an issue. But who knows.

/ Tires?? #4  
Looking at used kubota b2400 with turf tires.

Can R4’s be mounted on these rims?

If yes, then what’s a ballpark price to purchase R4’s and have them mounted?

R4 tires are only slightly better in mud than turf tires. If you need mud traction, go for a set of R1 tires/rims. No R4 nor R3 nor R1 tires will fit on turf rims, so you would have to buy new (or used) rims to go with your tires.

/ Tires??
My concern with the turfs is using a box scrape for driveway maintenance. Mainly uphill.

/ Tires?? #6  
I put ATV tires on my small tractor, and love them. They don't tear up the grass and still work in the mud of our gravel drive or in a wet field very well.

is yours 4wd or 2wd?

I have seen a 2400 with mud terrain tires from a truck/suv on it. Not sure about the wheel, but I think the turfs have a similar bead to a road tire. I think the goodyear MTR or the Dick Cepek extream country would be good choices. they are available in a 33 12.5 15.

v bar chains will help, but they will destory any pavement you have if used on it regularly.

/ Tires?? #7  
My concern with the turfs is using a box scrape for driveway maintenance. Mainly uphill.

I assume your prospective tractor has 4-WD.

I think the turfs will serve you just as well as R4 types. At least try them.

Remove the Loader and more weight will transfer to the rear wheels/tires, increasing traction somewhat during uphill pulls. The turf tires have more "float" pulling uphill too.

You cannot mount R4/industrial tires on turf tire rims.

/ Tires?? #9  
Rutman, I too say try the turfs for awhile before giving any further thought to swapping them out. I think you'll do just fine with them, especially if your concern is with using a box blade on your hilly driveway. You'll actually get better traction than R4s on a compacted stone driveway, also on rough ice and in shallow snow (say up to around five or six inches), because they have more "purchase" (tread surface contacting the ground), and usually a slightly softer composition. My B2150 has turfs and I pushed snow with a rear blade and graded a mile of crusher run access road and driveway, some parts hilly, with a box blade for a couple of decades. A neighbor with R4s on one of his tractors, an M6040, and has to put on chains. His JD1055 with turfs does well without them in the same conditions. Sometimes I think people tend to opt for R4s more for their rugged look compared to turfs than their utility.

/ Tires?? #10  
That same area is still muddy, but only a damp mud, no longer the shiny slick mud it was. I can now run up and down over it with no problems.