TMG chipper

/ TMG chipper #1  

CFar45

Tractor
Kubota LX3310, ZD21
Anyone have experience with TMG Chippers? I’ve been considering a chipper for some time but haven’t pulled the trigger because it would likely get infrequent use. It’s a “would be nice to have” but not a “need”. There are certainly better chippers out there, but given my anticipated use, I don’t really want to spend a lot. I also don't want to buy one that causes me so much frustration that it never gets used. Recently ran across a very lightly used TMG WC42 at a good price…unless someone’s just trying to unload their junk…. It’s made in China, distributed out of Canada. Looks similar to some out there sold under different brands. Any experience with these?? Thanks!

/ TMG chipper #2  
No experience with that one, but with others ... a couple questions. Is 4 inches going to be enough for you? Any crooks/crotches in branches count, so you could wind up with jams on relatively small stuff unless straight. Gravity feed ... pretty much need someone dedicated to feeding the hopper AND you need to clear jams manually ... hydraulic feed much easier to back out of a jam & self tending so easier for 1 person operation. Also, with gravity, you need to lift branches higher to get into the hopper ... may be a problem with longer/heavy stuff, whereas hydraulic is a more horizontal feed chute & closer to the ground. Better than no chipper, but think about what you need to chip & whether it will work for you. I just lucked into a lightly used 8 inch, hydro feed woodmaxx for a little less than what that TMG goes for new in your link ... so, deals can still be found. At worst, buy the TMG, see how it works for you, & resell it if you find a deal on a better one that meets your needs more easily. Nothing is getting cheaper in the near term.

/ TMG chipper #3  
Last edited:
   / TMG chipper #4  
Power feed is much safer than "chuck and duck" self feeding. When one of those grabs a tree it sucks it in fast and there is no way to stop it. The power feed is a consistent slower feed and you can stop it any time.

Horizontal feed means a lot less lifting. I can chip trees that I can only lift one end of. With the angled gravity chute you have to lift the entire tree.

There are a lot of us here with Woodmaxx 8H chippers. They're $400 more than the TMG you're looking at but far more useful and safe.

Woodland Mills also makes good chippers that people here own and use.

/ TMG chipper #5  
Yeah, both WM and Woodmax have hydraulic feed and horizontal input chutes for about the same amount of money. They're Chinese and distributed in Canada like the TMG.

Main differences between WM and Woodmax is Woodmax has a built-in way to raise the feed roller to remove a jam. WM makes the input chute to raise for more compact storage and for movement getting to location without whacking the back of the unit so easily.

/ TMG chipper #6  
I also don't want to buy one that causes me so much frustration that it never gets used.

This.... probably why it is for sale. You need at least one hydraulic infeed roller, two is better. Do you have a rear remote? Some chippers have a self contained hydraulic system included.

/ TMG chipper #7  
This.... probably why it is for sale. You need at least one hydraulic infeed roller, two is better. Do you have a rear remote? Some chippers have a self-contained hydraulic system included.
The Woodmaxx hydraulics are self-contained...pretty sure the Woodland Mills are as well...
Neither of these chippers are as fast as a "chuck and duck", but IMHO, much safer for a homeowner's use
Personally, I won't get within 30' (or more) of a chuck n' duck...

/ TMG chipper
All good points. Somewhat familiar with the woodmaxx and would certainly prefer one with power infeed. Never used the “chuck and duck” models, so wasn’t sure how much disadvantage they really are. I see a lot of them out there, so figured maybe worth a shot. Only experience is with larger, self contained trailered units - whole different ballgame. I wouldn’t even consider the TMG or similar at full price given the other options out there. This one is about 1/3 of new price. Probably someone trying to unload it due to all of the things mentioned. I think my question has been answered. Would love either woodmaxx or woodland mills. Just can’t really justify 3k for the amount of use it will get. Thanks!

/ TMG chipper #9  
Just an additional manufacturer to consider-Victory. I shopped the usual suspects and was pretty much set on the 8H before stumbling on Victory- their 8” hydraulic indeed model is a virtual clone of the 8H at a lower price point (and free shipping as well). Final decider for me was lead time.

Been very happy with mine-we’ve been chirping limb piles left over from clearing various build sites around our place. Time consuming process for sure but, for us, more convenient and less risky than burning.

/ TMG chipper #10  
Power feed is much safer than "chuck and duck" self feeding.
I love that term. Seems to me it was invented by someone who had never used a manual feed chipper and needed to justify paying more than he had to for occasional use.

As one who has owned and used manual feed chippers for 25 years as an "occasional use" homeowner, unless you're made of money, I strongly suggest you pass on this needless option and spend your money someplace more worthwhile.

Power feed make sense for those who do a lot of chipping. But not for the typical property owner with occasional need for a chipper.