TMG chipper

/ TMG chipper
I see a lot of TMG stuff for sale at the local monthly auction listings (chippers, augers, flails, greenhouses just to name a few). I've looked at a few different products of theirs online where I could find reviews, and in general the reviews aren't particularly favorable.
Thanks. This is just the kind of feedback I was looking for.

/ TMG chipper #23  
4" is small, as mentioned above, due to the trouble with wood that isn't straight. There is a company in Canada, that makes nice chippers, and depending on the size, not much more than the one you listed. Woodland Mills? I forget.. I ended up buying a well-used Bush Hog chipper/shredder with 5 inch or so capacity, and it works fine, but is put together with like 20 small nuts and bolts so sharpening is a challenge. Still, the price was right and it works. I believe the Bush Hog was rebranded from another brand, and the same chipper/shredder with some modest changes is still available today, but it's very expensive. I forget what brand it goes under now, but Echo was selling it for a few years not too long ago.
Even if you never chip anything more than 3 inches, you'll want a bigger chipper, on that I'll bet.
I have an old Troy Bilt super Tomahawk 8 hp, 3" machine I bought new about 35 years ago, and even though I burn firewood to heat the house, it was small for what I needed, and I sure wish I had an 8" machine even though I would never chip anything close to that, unless completely rotten. 5" is better than 3", by a LOT, and you'd find 6" far better than 4..

/ TMG chipper #24  
I don't have experience with TMG but I do have experience with other mystery chinese clone brands.

If you have a well outfitted machine/weldshop and enjoy constantly fixing and modifying stuff that breaks every 15 minutes then go for it. Do yourself a favour and put a PTO slip clutch on your tractor, don't wear loose clothing, and don't stand beside the machine in case the flywheel self destructs.

The money you save buying this cheap stuff gets spent in time and repairs.

/ TMG chipper #25  
I've used two Wallenstein chippers for the last 18 years. First the BX42S - now the BX62S. I've NEVER had anything come back at me with either chipper.

Most likely reason - I only feed whole trees. Not chunks or short pieces. Feed a short chunk - it's likely to bounce around as it's chipped and could come back at you. And because I only feed whole trees - no need for any type of "feed control" system.

/ TMG chipper
   / TMG chipper #28  
That exactly is my point. "Chuck and duck" doesn't describe the way it works at all. So why is it used to disparage manual feed?

I see that comment often, but in 25+ years of using a PTO chipper I've never had it happen.
"Chuck and Duck", as explained in an earlier post in this thread, refers to the big commercial chippers...especially the old ones, that use a drum type chipper.
Our little PTO driven machines don't have the power to kick back with any real force. It's still not a good idea to stand directly behind the chipper though...

/ TMG chipper
Yes it does.

But I don't think that is a Woodmaxx, but a Chinese clone.
I was thinking you might have yourself a woodmaxx. On the Woodmaxx site it says the wm-8h is made “overseas”. I presume china, and others on here have noted that woodmaxx are made in china. The closer I looked, the more similar the seemed. Doesn’t really matter either way, as long as it’s been good to you.

/ TMG chipper #30  
"Chuck and Duck", as explained in an earlier post in this thread, refers to the big commercial chippers...especially the old ones, that use a drum type chipper.
Our little PTO driven machines don't have the power to kick back with any real force. It's still not a good idea to stand directly behind the chipper though...
If "Chuck and Duck" refers only to big commercial chippers why is it often used in this forum, including early in this thread, to mis-describe the little machines we use?