Today's Welding time!

/ Today's Welding time! #32  
Hope you won't mind if I steal some ideas from you, especially like hardy storage solution! Great job.

Absolutely!

FYI the post vice stand is a cast iron water pipe filled with rebar and 250 # of concrete. Lengths of 3/4" all thread protrude out the top so that the table can be changed out for something else in the future.

I've standardized all my hardies to have 1.25" square shanks. The 3/8" plate holder has 1 5/8" round holes for storing them.

Terry

/ Today's Welding time! #33  
Finished my stand today and mounted the vise. Had to use the 2x10's because the vertical 2x3 steel I had on hand was too short.

IMG_0252.JPGIMG_0255.JPG

/ Today's Welding time! #35  
Where do you fellers get those cool vises?
Those are blacksmith style vises, I think. I saw a couple for sale once at a local used tool store for crazy $$$. They are cool to collectors too, apparently! I would love to stumble on one at a garage sale...

/ Today's Welding time! #38  
Sodo, use the search term "post vise" when you're lookin' - but be prepared to spend as much (or more) than new "regular" vises, I sometimes wonder if they are made from the same "un-obtainium" ANVILS are :eek: ..Steve

/ Today's Welding time! #39  
Where do you fellers get those cool vises?
My post vise came from Dad scouring every Estate Sale he saw listed, for years after he retired. I inherited the post vise and another Columbia bench vise at least as large, plus a large and medium Craftsman, and several smaller vises, all bought for what had to have been under $10 each or he wouldn't have bought them. Yard-saleing every weekend in the city was his entertainment. I don't think there is any other way to find those old vises for less than antique-store or Ebay price.

I visit yard sales far less frequently but I found my $50 Wards PowerKraft 230amp AC stick welder (tombstone equivalent) at a neighbor's estate sale. (Now that I have a TIG/DC stick welder as well a mig, I expect to use this antique less).

34734d1110327824-fuel-efficient-vehicles-reasonably-safe-600595-cars-trailerimg_3004-jpg

/ Today's Welding time! #40  
Sodo, use the search term "post vise" when you're lookin' - but be prepared to spend as much (or more) than new "regular" vises, I sometimes wonder if they are made from the same "un-obtainium" ANVILS are :eek: ..Steve

They're also known as a blacksmith vise. Also search using both vise and vice!