Tractor placement deckover?

/ Tractor placement deckover? #1  

HK45

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti nx6010 loader backhoe
On a 25 foot deckover gooseneck trailer, Where is the best place to position a larger compact tractor. I have no attachments or front bucket on , and the rear tires are loaded. From pictures I seen, seems like some people Position the rear tires In between the rear axles. Then i seen other pull all the way forward, so the rear tires are at the front of the axles. In the past I've loaded it and had the rear tires in between the axles, but always seem to be alittle rougher riding. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

/ Tractor placement deckover? #2  
On any trailer I like the trailer to carry the majority of the weight. I just watch the pull vehicle squat just a bit and call it good when loading a tractor.

/ Tractor placement deckover? #3  
On a compact I would probably pull it up infront of a center of the axles. I put my large utility, Kubota M9540, with the back tire centered over the axles

/ Tractor placement deckover? #4  
On a 25 foot deckover gooseneck trailer, Where is the best place to position a larger compact tractor. I have no attachments or front bucket on , and the rear tires are loaded. From pictures I seen, seems like some people Position the rear tires In between the rear axles. Then i seen other pull all the way forward, so the rear tires are at the front of the axles. In the past I've loaded it and had the rear tires in between the axles, but always seem to be alittle rougher riding. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
For a bumper pull, if you have a way to measure it...between 10% and 15% of the loaded trailer weight should be on the hitch.
The recommended gooseneck trailer percentages are likely the same or similar.
A tongue weight scale, or a bathroom scale (using a proportional scale weight method) will provide accurate tongue weight information.
If you load the same equipment, the weight measurement need not be done every time.
Just mark the correct equipment positioning on the trailer deck.

/ Tractor placement deckover? #5  
For a bumper pull, if you have a way to measure it...between 10% and 15% of the loaded trailer weight should be on the hitch.
The recommended gooseneck trailer percentages are likely the same or similar.
A tongue weight scale, or a bathroom scale (using a proportional scale weight method) will provide accurate tongue weight information.
If you load the same equipment, the weight measurement need not be done every time.
Just mark the correct equipment positioning on the trailer deck.
100% correct for bumper pull. 10-15%. More & you break the truck, less & you fishtail.

Gooseneck is 15-30% pin weight I believe. Better positioning directly over the axle let's the truck carry more weight better.

/ Tractor placement deckover? #6  
I haul the V417 backwards to protect the windshield:

P1260010.JPG
P1260003.JPG

/ Tractor placement deckover? #7  
My M7040 with loader and 8' bush hog are more than 20 feet long, and I haul it on a 20+5 gooseneck. I have to pull it till the grill guard is at the uprights, then raise the ramps. Then I move it a couple feet backwards so the dual trailing wheels of the mower hold the ramps down. Not much room for play. If I leave it all the way forward, the truck doesn't like it!
Play with it at your local truckstop, as it never hurts to know real weights. $12.50 for 1st weigh, $2.50 after that. Then you will know what is best!
David from jax

/ Tractor placement deckover? #8  
It depends where the axles are. As stated, percentage of tongue weight is a good starting point. The problem, with that, is the spread over that range can be quite a bit. Another factor is the truck capability. If the rear springs can’t handle the weight, it’s going to be different versus a proper vehicle.

The only good way is to put the tractor on the trailer and see how it sits. There are too many variables to give you an answer. If you want to post a picture of the tractor on the trailer, attached to the truck, an idea can be given, if you’re close.

/ Tractor placement deckover? #9  
I load the tongue as heavy as the hitch and vehicle will take.

/ Tractor placement deckover? #10  
This worked for us. rode great, truck looked level. went across 2 states with it no problem.
Main thing is to get whatever your truck will handle and stop at that point. it is different on every truck and trailer.

Attachments

• 20210316_161716.jpg
    20210316_161716.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 99
  • 20210316_161742.jpg
    20210316_161742.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 101
  • 20210316_161730.jpg
    20210316_161730.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 99