Tractor Recommendation

/ Tractor Recommendation
Part of the pricing difference is not necessarily machine quality, but also service network. It’s easy to find service and parts quickly for Kubota and Deere, while the same cannot always be said for other brands.
Honestly, this is true and waiting a bit for a part IS part of my overall consideration. I AM willing to wait a couple days/weeks/month to get a part (if needed) and save 20k (edit: 30k!$) off a purchase price. It would absolutely be different if i needed to rely on this machine for my living, but as mentioned, it is a toy/tool. And weighing all things, I am comfortable with LS as a stable, long term brand, which may not be said of branson or rk or montana or bobcat or badboy or... To be clear, I'd love to have a deere or kubota, but they just aren't in my price range. The trade-off i consider is this: premium brand in my $ range is a smaller frame machine with less options (no cab, no remotes, etc) OR Mid brand an LS (or TYM, or?...) with a larger frame size which would have a cab and 3 remotes. I am concerned about stressing the tractor to begin with (why i'm targeting the MT352 size) than some of the smaller premium machines. (edit: I just priced a JD 4066R w/ cab and loader = 70k+ !!) that machine is probably fairly comparable to the LS mt357CH at 40k my dealer quoted me.

Kioti dealer is closest, LS and Kubota and Deere are all about the same distance, then maybe mahindra... after that its 1hr+ to anything else (not even sure). I won't mind paying a bit over internet pricing to a local dealer to ensure a good relation to help if/when I need it, but this is different than paying 10-20k more for a comparable machine. Depending on how things go in my life (job wise) I may be able to purchase next year or so, so I have plenty fo time for research and to see where pricing and interest rates are at. (yes, I plan on financing the tractor... I'd rather have the equipment now while I still have a back, than wait to save up and be 7 years older. not saying this is financially wise, but ... ) on a positive note, I already have an external garage with an empty bay ready to go :)

Last edited:
   / Tractor Recommendation #52  
I just run across this dandy:
1668129853902.png

willy

/ Tractor Recommendation #53  
Honestly, this is true and waiting a bit for a part IS part of my overall consideration. I AM willing to wait a couple days/weeks/month to get a part (if needed) and save 20k (edit: 30k!$) off a purchase price. It would absolutely be different if i needed to rely on this machine for my living, but as mentioned, it is a toy/tool. And weighing all things, I am comfortable with LS as a stable, long term brand, which may not be said of branson or rk or montana or bobcat or badboy or... To be clear, I'd love to have a deere or kubota, but they just aren't in my price range. The trade-off i consider is this: premium brand in my $ range is a smaller frame machine with less options (no cab, no remotes, etc) OR Mid brand an LS (or TYM, or?...) with a larger frame size which would have a cab and 3 remotes. I am concerned about stressing the tractor to begin with (why i'm targeting the MT352 size) than some of the smaller premium machines. (edit: I just priced a JD 4066R w/ cab and loader = 70k+ !!) that machine is probably fairly comparable to the LS mt357CH at 40k my dealer quoted me.

Kioti dealer is closest, LS and Kubota and Deere are all about the same distance, then maybe mahindra... after that its 1hr+ to anything else (not even sure). I won't mind paying a bit over internet pricing to a local dealer to ensure a good relation to help if/when I need it, but this is different than paying 10-20k more for a comparable machine. Depending on how things go in my life (job wise) I may be able to purchase next year or so, so I have plenty fo time for research and to see where pricing and interest rates are at. (yes, I plan on financing the tractor... I'd rather have the equipment now while I still have a back, than wait to save up and be 7 years older. not saying this is financially wise, but ... ) on a positive note, I already have an external garage with an empty bay ready to go :)
As you have pointed out, there are lots of considerations and not everyone has the same situation. You point out that you have dealers for several brands other than the big 2. That’s a game changer. I have no other brands with dealer service within 500-1000 miles other than JD and Kubota. There is a nearby Mahindra dealer, but they have no service facilities and minimal parts warehouse.

/ Tractor Recommendation #54  
Unfortunately, Deere and Kubota use pricing to convince people they are better. Far too many people think higher price equals better quality. That can be true, but is often a ruse.
Torvy I will ask you a question. If someone is looking for a safe place to put their money do they not pick investments that sacrifice returns for a return on equity?

/ Tractor Recommendation #55  
Torvy I will ask you a question. If someone is looking for a safe place to put their money do they not pick investments that sacrifice returns for a return on equity?
I don't think that is an argument you want to make in this case. When purchasing a piece of equipment, you want maximum value for the dollar spent. Investments are made on appreciating assets or those that provide income. (or at least that is the goal). Since the income provided from a tractor would be the same, the ROE would be better on the better value. If anything, cost of ownership is less on the more value brands because the parts are typically less. Rather like the Honda vs Mercedes. Not only do you spend more upfront, but the cost of maintenance is higher, too. Like I said, there may be reasons to choose one of the big brands and pay the premium price. jYoutz situation where it is simply too far to have options is one. Having a business use where you use the equipment in multiple cities may be another. For the vast majority of us who are not using tractors for income (or at least not for a living), lower costs are better. Sure, you will have some wealthy or wannabe wealthy types who buy for status, most of us are more concerned with value. This is especially true heading into a downturn. The job of marketing and sales in those companies is to convince buyers that spending more is a value proposition. It clearly works on some people.

/ Tractor Recommendation #56  
I don't think that is an argument you want to make in this case.
I'm not making any argument I only asked you a question.
When purchasing a piece of equipment, you want maximum value for the dollar spent. Investments are made on appreciating assets or those that provide income. (or at least that is the goal).
And when making an investment you want maximum returns at risk adjusted rates.
Since the income provided from a tractor would be the same, the ROE would be better on the better value.
Not if the risk is significantly higher. What you're failing to see here is the risk you are taking to get the "better value".
Rather like the Honda vs Mercedes. Not only do you spend more upfront, but the cost of maintenance is higher, too.
Lower risk investments are always more expensive then higher risk investments.

/ Tractor Recommendation #57  
I'm afraid I have to disagree with some of the statements regarding Kubota and Deere.
In my case, I choose Kioti because of price vs capabilities.
But I tested multiple Kubota tractors during my search, and I have to say they have the better tractor.
You can come and refute this by talking about build quality, etc. I don't necessarily need to trust your sense of perception.
Kubota tractors have better hydraulic valves and, for this reason, better control; in general, they are smoother and easier to make fine adjustments.
Same with the transmission.
You can get parts for any Kubota-built tractor eons from now.
I'm betting on Kioti because they seem to be a solid contender, and I hope they will continue producing parts for my model 10-15 years from now, but I understand it is a gamble.
Other brands stop producing parts for machines that are not even ten years old, and at that point, you have to search equivalent or find someone that can fabricate the part for you.

I tried TYM, and they look okay, but I wouldn't say I liked how the hydraulic response, and their transmission, at least on the one I tried, getting into gear wasn't smooth at all.

Regarding LS, I can't say much, I only tried their older XJ, and that was more than 3 years ago.

/ Tractor Recommendation #58  
When you go to finance your tractor
you can get it for 6 or 8 years I chose
6 years and it will be paid off in 12 mo
or less and I purchased in Aug 2021
When you can double or triple the payments
you can save money. And if you have
money problems you will be safe just
making the min small payment. When
you finance say for 3 years payments are
$1500 mo VS 6 or 8 years at $560 mo
and you can pay the $1500 pay that amount
and you will have it paid off in half or less
time now if you have extra bills that you
did not expect you can still pay the reg
payment and take care of the extra unexpected
bills. Hope this make cents???

willy

/ Tractor Recommendation #59  
I'm betting on Kioti because they seem to be a solid contender, and I hope they will continue producing parts for my model 10-15 years from now, but I understand it is a gamble.
I've owned my Kioti DK for 21 years and I have no problem at all getting parts.
I order online and they are delivered to my door in a few days

/ Tractor Recommendation #60  
Other brands stop producing parts for machines that are not even ten years old, and at that point, you have to search equivalent or find someone that can fabricate the part for you.

I tried TYM, and they look okay, but I wouldn't say I liked how the hydraulic response, and their transmission, at least on the one I tried, getting into gear wasn't smooth at all.
^This. Got a good friend who bought a TYM close to 20 years ago. It's been down for close to a year now - hydraulic valve of some sort went out and a replacement is not available, nor will any hydraulic rebuilder touch it because no parts are available.