Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,611  
I posted this in another thread and then I found this thread and thought I would post it here. Should have seen the look on the guys face that was driving down the road when I was coming up it. Turned out it was my neighbor and we both had a chuckle.

Attachments

• IMG20231006114046.jpg
    IMG20231006114046.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 116
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,612  
I hauled a few 16 foot hemlock logs from my landing to my house maybe 1/3 mile on the narrow gravel town road and when I met a car I pulled over as far as possible and then lifted the logs till the car could pass beneath them.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,613  
IMG_5997.jpeg

Still struggling with my windfall
As you can see, woods are all messed up, limbs are tangled
Today made a lot of winching and pulling with crane
Still managed to load 2 vagons

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,614  
Enough with show-off :) Time to ask advice

About that vintage winch I have (pic is 1 page back). It works like all winches of that type, so I guess, construction is the same. To engage it we pull the rope. More we pull more power we have on cable
It is a kinda heavy, kids (10 y/o) almost cant operate it. For me too it seems kinda hard - to make full pull I have to put all my weight into action

Is it possible to adjust coupling ? Or should I replace friction pads ? Or just longer lever will do the job ? :)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,615  

About that vintage winch I have (pic is 1 page back). It works like all winches of that type, so I guess, construction is the same. To engage it we pull the rope. More we pull more power we have on cable
It is a kinda heavy, kids (10 y/o) almost cant operate it. For me too it seems kinda hard - to make full pull I have to put all my weight into action

Is it possible to adjust coupling ? Or should I replace friction pads ? Or just longer lever will do the job ? :)

Is it a drum winch (accumulates the rope by winding it up on a drum) or a capstan winch? If it's a capstan winch and you're having to put more muscle into it, perhaps loop the rope around the capstan one more time so it has more grip.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,616  
Is it a drum winch (accumulates the rope by winding it up on a drum) or a capstan winch? If it's a capstan winch and you're having to put more muscle into it, perhaps loop the rope around the capstan one more time so it has more grip.
It's drum

By "pulling rope" I meant pulling rope which is connected to lever which engages clutch

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,617  

its hard to see on the picture but I am sure there be a way to change the lever configuration to create a mechanical advantage.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,618  

I have a Farmi winch. I do have to pull hard on the rope for a very hard winch pull. I would check the clutch adjustment first. Pull the rope and watch the lever. If the lever moves up more than an inch or so before the winch starts to pull on a smallish log the clutch could use some adjustment. You want the lever to be at 90 degrees to the rope when you are pulling very hard for maximum leverage but you have to make sure that you have about an 1" (25 mm) of free travel before the clutch engages.

Also there could be oil on the friction plates from oiling the chain and or cable. Use may help but the friction pads will probably need replacing.

You get more pull with an empty drum. So if you don't need a long cable run with a shorter one and the same pull on the rope will give you more pull on the cable.

Making the rope lever longer or adding an other rope pulley would work too.

Personally I think that the users strength is a safety factor. The users strength or size limits the size log. A winch is not a toy for kids.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,619  
You get more pull with an empty drum. So if you don't need a long cable run with a shorter one and the same pull on the rope will give you more pull on the cable.

Personally I think that the users strength is a safety factor. The users strength or size limits the size log. A winch is not a toy for kids.

gg

Thanks for your inputs.
If I has to put all my 220 lbs to pull 15 m (50 ft) @ 50 cm (20 in) clean log, that's not normal. Kids can work only with pulp wood - 3 m (10 ft), rather small D

Have found manual. Couldnt imagine there is so big difference
Pulling capacity on first layer :
5510 lbs ( 2500 kp)
Pulling capacity on last layer :
2700 lbs (1225 kp)

Partly agree for kids.
As I am saying to my wife - laying on coach in from of TV is much more dangerous than working in forests
+ they are working ONLY under my or wife's guidance
~~~~~~~~
But other that that - winches are made for small people to move big things ;)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,620  
I've been to a Buc-ees in at least three states. They have one about an hour from me now in South Carolina!
I tried to go to the one in Daytona Beach, FL and it took 20 minutes just to get into the parking lot!! We turned around and left, went to the one outside Florence, SC. on our return trip North. Best gas station I've ever been to, and the pulled pork sammich was amazing!