trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
We are contemplating getting rid of the trusty ol boss and getting a Outlander 6x6 with its 1000 v-twin engine. The 80+ something engine is only needed for operations in the snow.

max outlander 6x6.jpg
outlander 6x6 pods.jpg

Last edited:
Over the weekend were to Ely MN and found new bike trails being installed at Hidden Valley XC area by Pathfinder trail building company. We were trained by IMBA so we can appreciate what this crew was doing there. More photos to flollow.
P1110564.jpg
P1110566.jpg
P1110567.jpg
P1110568.jpg

More photos at Hidden Valley ski area Ely, MN. Two of the building crew live on site. We knew the same trail people they did. Not pictured is the Whacker ground packer they use. As far as we seen, they just had the two mini excavators there. The bottom pic is the end of new trail construction. Nice fellows.

I should add, they haul fuel, tools and supplies in via nothing we could see. I'd have a 6x6 for that job. (y)
P1110521.jpg
P1110522.jpg
P1110533.jpg
P1110535.jpg
P1110538.jpg
P1110539.jpg
P1110541.jpg

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #75  
I always thought these were cool.

In the Midwest, most builders use mini excavators. In fact we've never seen a mini dozer. Did see one on the Maah Daah Hey in western ND.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #77  
I use one of these. Grillo 107d tractor with Del Morino 21” Brush Mower. If it can push it over, it can cut it.
I maintain an 18 hole disc golf course, which is just a really really wide trail.

brush-2.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #78  
I always thought these were cool.

I priced one a couple years ago and it was outrageous. You could get 3 mini excavators for the price of it or one with a complete tilt-rotator/ multiple buckets and have some good change left over. It might be amazing but dang.

I use one of these. Grillo 107d tractor with Del Morino 21” Brush Mower. If it can push it over, it can cut it.
I maintain an 18 hole disc golf course, which is just a really really wide trail.

View attachment 704196
I test operated Orec some machines and LOVED them. They are built for real/serious work. Seen immediately below is a flail mower but they make all types.
orec7728.jpg
orec7744.jpg

Attachments

• orec7755.jpg
    orec7755.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Got home late today and we worked on NFS trails over the weekend. Took lots of photos and will post them ASAP. Here is one.
P1110665.jpg