trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
Here is shoots and weeds that will be whacked with .155 string.
P1010925.jpg

and afterwards.
P1010930.jpg

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #222  
I had a 15hp MTD rider with a 2blade 42" deck. It was meant for grass but i was amazed at how much brush it would cut. Anything up to 3/4" as long as I didn't get high centered, It would easily go through stuff like that. It was abuse, but didn't seem to hurt it.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #223  
The brush rover-when you need to get yourself bruised by brush.
Guy takes some big hits in that video.

Not sure how that thing doesn't start riding up some of the saplings?

Arly, my brush looks like trees and most is 1-3" (not including the dead Ash everywhere).
I hope to get my short trails to a point where I can use string.

Keep the pictures coming, always nice to see the different trails you maintain.

The brush rover-when you need to get yourself bruised by brush.
Guy takes some big hits in that video.

Not sure how that thing doesn't start riding up some of the saplings?

Arly, my brush looks like trees and most is 1-3" (not including the dead Ash everywhere).
I hope to get my short trails to a point where I can use string.

Keep the pictures coming, always nice to see the different trails you maintain.
Thank you for your kind words ken, 🤤 We have more work to do on those XC trails and will post more from that. Other things to be done is signage and other things ones need to do have public trails.

Last edited:
We spent just a few hours out there today and cleared a turn-around spot on the logging road. Man-o-man colors are at there max here. First photo shows the area that needs to be made a bit wider.
P1010978.jpg
P1010994.jpg

After clearing, it gets tested. I went around it going both directions.. Its margianly wide enought since snow and pods makes machine turning radius much larger.
P1020004.jpg
P1020010.jpg

We cleared on more spot before our short work day came to an end.
P1020020.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #226  
I read a good way to smooth trails was to drag a tree. So happens in the last 2 years i have cut down hundreds if not thousands of weedy trees, nasty undergrowth stuff that varies from, 1-4 inches, 4-5 different species. I leave the big ones!

i've dragged these tree bundles over the same trails and those trails are smooth as a babies butt!

We'll be out in the am to clear this trail more. Of course I'll take pics for you characters. :LOL:

We worked on a different section today on the same system and got something done to it. We worked off the end of a logging road seen in earlier pics and cut a turn around trail. This would be a "lollypop" like portion.
P1020052.jpg

Behind Wally is what we will be clearing.
P1020054.jpg

What a day to be in the woods!
P1020072.jpg

Here you can see what we did, after it was cleared.
P1020093.jpg
P1020095.jpg

I'd make a list of the tools and supplies that go out with us if anyone would care to see that. Let me know you thoughts.

Last edited:
Pics taken today while clearing this trail. 2 legs of this three section trail have now been cleared.

This dead-fall was kerfed off so as to not hook an implment. Only pole saws used.
P1020240.jpg

The sun coming up and getting over the canopy this am.
P1020224.jpg

P1020248.jpg

This branch will be pulled down by snow and onto the trail so its coming off.
P1020252.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #230  
An October day in northern Wisconsin and the upper peninsula of Michigan, does it get any better? The warm weather folks just don't know what they are missing.